Author Topic: Study Finds that U.S. Healthcare Consistently Underperforms  (Read 6572 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Study Finds that U.S. Healthcare Consistently Underperforms
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2007, 06:50:01 PM »
"...In the absence of any known polling errors, we have to take the poll results for what they are - - the poll, admittedly not infallible, is a good indicator until proven otherwise that American health care, when compared with other nations' health care, sucks...."

I don't accept this , the pollster has a lot of advantage if he has an agenda. How could I prove an error or an intentional ommision without the ability to observe the polling itself?

I don't think you accept the CATO institue research results as proof of much , neither sould anyone expect that the results of their favoriate poll will be ultimately persuasive.

Among the six nations studied?Australia, Canada, Germany, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States?the U.S. ranks last...."

After all this really means that the US ranks seventh in the world , is that so bad?

« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 06:52:18 PM by Plane »

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2007, 09:31:40 AM »
Among the six nations studied?Australia, Canada, Germany, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States?the U.S. ranks last...."

After all this really means that the US ranks seventh in the world , is that so bad?

No. Read the sentence again. It means that out of six nations studied, the United States ranked last. It was not a world study, just a study of six nations. I'm guessing we rank much lower than seventh in a worldwide study.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2007, 09:42:33 AM »

No. Read the sentence again. It means that out of six nations studied, the United States ranked last. It was not a world study, just a study of six nations. I'm guessing we rank much lower than seventh in a worldwide study.

You mean that six countrys were found that perform better , but this study means nothing more than that in terms of world standing.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2007, 09:48:48 AM »
No Plane.

The Study only included the United States and five other countries. In other words n=6.

No where is it indicated that these are the top six countries in the world in healthcare standards. It is a simple comparison of six countries, all of which spend remarkably less on healthcare than the United States as a percentage of GDP.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2007, 12:01:28 PM »
<< I don't accept this , the pollster has a lot of advantage if he has an agenda. How could I prove an error or an intentional ommision without the ability to observe the polling itself?>>

When you find an error or omission, get back to me.

<<I don't think you accept the CATO institue research results as proof of much >>

Fair enough, I KNOW that they are biased.

<< neither sould anyone expect that the results of their favoriate poll will be ultimately persuasive.>>

The difference between this and a Cato institute poll is that I KNOW Cato is biased and I don't know anything about the other pollster.

<< After all this really means that the US ranks seventh in the world , is that so bad?>>

Ranking seventh out of seven isn't so bad?  That's news to me.  If I finished seventh out of seven in a foot-race, would that be so bad?  Would I be the loser?  Probably not.  I'm sure today the school would give me a medal for participation.

I know what.  Let's give the U.S.A. a medal for participation in the health-care survey.  Everyone's a winner if everyone participates.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2007, 12:30:08 PM »
<< I don't accept this , the pollster has a lot of advantage if he has an agenda. How could I prove an error or an intentional ommision without the ability to observe the polling itself?>>

When you find an error or omission, get back to me.

<<I don't think you accept the CATO institue research results as proof of much >>

Fair enough, I KNOW that they are biased.

<< neither sould anyone expect that the results of their favoriate poll will be ultimately persuasive.>>

The difference between this and a Cato institute poll is that I KNOW Cato is biased and I don't know anything about the other pollster.

<< After all this really means that the US ranks seventh in the world , is that so bad?>>

Ranking seventh out of seven isn't so bad?  That's news to me.  If I finished seventh out of seven in a foot-race, would that be so bad?  Would I be the loser?  Probably not.  I'm sure today the school would give me a medal for participation.

I know what.  Let's give the U.S.A. a medal for participation in the health-care survey.  Everyone's a winner if everyone participates.

Seventh in the world is not so bad .
Suppose that I wanted to prove that Canada was bad about something  , could I find that on that particular subject there were only three nations in the world that did better than Canada and so I would study only those, so that Canada would surely come in last, what have I proven?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 01:02:55 PM by Plane »

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2007, 12:40:05 PM »

The study was done by the "Commonwealth Fund" which has as it's goal universal health coverage for the US. In other words, they fund projects and research that advance universal health care.

<sarcasm>
No, not biased at all...
</sarcasm>
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2007, 12:43:40 PM »
<sarcasm>
No, not biased at all...
</sarcasm>
===========================
You should read my posts a little more carefully.  I did not claim the poll was unbiased.  I specifically stated that I didn't know where it was coming from.

Now that both polls appear to be coming from opposite POVs, I suppose they each have to be examined on their own merits. 

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2007, 12:46:30 PM »
You should read my posts a little more carefully.

You might be able to buy a sense of humour at Walmart. I'm pretty sure Sears has them as well.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2007, 01:12:14 PM »
Oh no, I wanna know where you bought yours.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2007, 01:21:27 PM »
Oh no, I wanna know where you bought yours.

Original equipment.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2007, 01:25:04 PM »
Came with the Cracker Jacks

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2007, 01:29:18 PM »
OK, I walked right into that one.

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2007, 01:35:34 PM »
Just thought about my Canadain esteemed comrade just this morning as I was watching Forever Knight. It must have been filmed in Canada as the police display Canadian uniforms, etc.

I may be consulting with a Canadian military unit later this year. Perhaps we'll get together for a cold one.

The Canadians have well-trained, if smallish, marine units. Well-maintained equipment. You can always tell a great deal about a unit when you see how well they maintain their equipment. The only negative is that they tedn ot use outdated equipment. Probably a monetary issue.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2007, 04:45:28 PM »
did you see moonlight?
it`s a lamer version of forever knight
cbs has no shame