Author Topic: interesting e-mail -- like the concept, but not sure of practability  (Read 6531 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
URINE TEST

Like a lot of folks in this state, I have a job. I work, they pay me. I pay my taxes and the
government distributes my taxes as it sees fit.

In order to get that paycheck, I am required to pass a random urine test with which I have
no problem. What I Do have a problem with is the distribution of my taxes to people who
Don't have to pass a urine test. Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare
check because I have to pass one to earn it for them?

Please understand, I have no problem with helping people get back on their feet. I Do, on the
other hand, have a problem with helping someone sitting on their BUTT, doing drugs, while I work.

Can you imagine how much money the state would save if people had to pass a urine test to get a public assistance check?

Pass this along if you agree or simply delete if you don't.

Hope you all will pass it along, though . . .something has to change in this country -- and soon!

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: interesting e-mail -- like the concept, but not sure of practability
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 05:36:18 PM »
Can you imagine how much money the state would save if people had to pass a urine test to get a public assistance check?

===========================================================================
Probably very little. Tests are easy to fake. Test givers are easily bribed. I am not convinced this guy is working with a full deck.
--------------------------------------

The problem here is that anyone has to take a routine urine test to keep their job. That's a excessive invasion of privacy. One test is okay, several per year is too many.

You can buy powder to mix with water and "clean" urine and pass most every test, unless they actually force you to let them see you pee.

I further suggest that having a job where you have to watch people pee every day is also a bit of an invasion of privacy, as well as very, very weird.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 05:42:27 PM »
Some people earn big bucks and pay huge taxes and DON'T have to pass a urine test.  Couldn't pass one if their life depended on it.  They're in the entertainment and publishing businesses.

They probably support a hell of a lot more welfare recipients than you do.

Do you think they have as much or more right than you do to enforce their personal code of conduct (probably some variation on "Party hard, die young and leave a good-looking corpse") on those who receive welfare cheques funded by their taxes?

The way I look at it, welfare is available without discrimination to all who exercise their right to the pursuit of happiness wisely or unwisely and not in accordance with the commandments of CU4 or anyone else.  IMHO most welfare recipients ARE welfare recipients precisely because of their own bad choices in life superimposed on factors over which they had no choice at all.  Why start singling out one set of bad choices as opposed to any other?

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 06:53:33 PM »
The problem here is that anyone has to take a routine urine test to keep their job

tee you don't want your airline pilots being drug tested?

i think those pilots they found drunk about to take off with a plane
load of passengers should have been tried and if guilty executed

« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 06:57:02 PM by ChristiansUnited4LessGvt »

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 06:58:25 PM »
Some people earn big bucks and pay huge taxes and DON'T have to pass a urine test

yeah tee, but they aren't leeching off someone else
big difference don't ya think?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 08:05:43 PM »
It`s called do by example
most business will not do random urine test because it cost too much
I always say if they asked you to pee .you pretty much got the job
so welfare will no likely do this since it`s a added expense
it not like they got the money to do this.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 08:44:12 PM »
Sure I want my airline pilots tested.  There are a small group of people whose fuckups could cause major loss of human life, and they oughtta be tested.  Everybody else, welfare recipients included, unless by some hugely unlikely chance, they are responsible for the lives of hundreds of other human beings, don't need to be tested.  The test is a fucking insult as a matter of fact.

Welfare recipients are by definition people whose fuckups have put them on welfare.  Who knows what particular fuckups landed them there and who gives a shit anyway?  If their fuckup was drugs they should get cut off but if their fuckup was gambling, they get their own share plus maybe the junky's, who just got cut off?  Makes no sense at all.  The principle of welfare is charity.  I don't think charity distinguishes between fuckups.  They're all fuckups and they all NEED help.  So give 'em the help they need.  What the fuck did Jesus say?  Give what you can to him who asks.  They're all asking and thank God we can afford to give.  The taxman hasn't bankrupted me yet.  Hasn't bankrupted that selfish prick Rush Limbaugh either as far as I can tell.

<<yeah tee, but they aren't leeching off someone else>>

Well, let's look at it clearly.  They aren't leeching off someone else and you aren't leeching off someone else.  They pay taxes that ultimately go into some welfare bum's pocket and you pay taxes that ultimately go into some welfare bum's pocket.  The only difference is that they are doing every drug known to God and man and you are "clean."  But somehow you think YOU have the right to dictate lifestyle choices to the bums who live off the proceeds of your taxes, but the hard-partying entertainers who probably support a thousand times as many welfare bums with their taxes as you do with yours, DON'T have the same right that you do.

Does that really make any sense?  Is it fair?

Personally, I think a man is entitled to welfare on the basis of NEED, not good conduct or bad conduct.  I'm glad to pay my taxes so he gets his welfare, I hope someone ultimately straightens the guy out so he can lead a happy and productive life (like that's gonna happen) but at the end of the day:  I am not his fucking judge.   Thank God that I and the other taxpayers of Canada can give the guy what he needs so he doesn't have to starve to death in the streets.  Someone else can save his fucking soul.  Or try to.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 09:36:50 PM »
tee do you believe in workfare?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 09:44:10 PM »
Are steet  Drugs still expensive?

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 02:32:47 AM »
.  What the fuck did Jesus say? 

I feel reasonably certain that it wasn't "Fuck."  Jiminy Crickets, MT, if you're gonna quote the Lord-Gawd-A-mighty dontcha think you could avoid mixing the sacred with the profane? :D

But somehow you think YOU have the right to dictate lifestyle choices to the bums who live off the proceeds of your taxes, but the hard-partying entertainers who probably support a thousand times as many welfare bums with their taxes as you do with yours, DON'T have the same right that you do.

Michael, while I can agree that Hollywoodsters have as much right to whine about how their taxes are spent as I do, I think you are reading a bit too much into CU4s comments.  As for whether anyone has the right to complain about the actions of someone who's spending our hard-earned money, I disagree with you.  I think when you have the responsibility to support someone - especially someone whose bad habits are the cause of that responsibility - you have the right to expect that person to at least try to improve their behavior.  Simply put, the sooner the Welfare Bum stops doing the bad things that cost me bucks, the sooner I get to keep my bucks.   I think it is reasonable to presume that when someone takes my money against my will, it is a willful surrender of freedom on their part.  If I must support you, I ought to be able to have some say in getting you self-sufficient again. My right to interfere in your life comes from the effect those affairs are having on me. I have a right to get upset about someone who takes my money and intends to continue doing so.  Alfred P. Doolittle is an endearing character, but only on stage.

Your point about not picking and choosing vices to complain about is also valid, but I would point out that drug use has two differences over many other vices.  First, drug use is not only financially debilitating but also physically and emotionally as well.  The physical effects of substance abuse exacerbate the tendency to "screw up" and decrease the likelihood (slim though it may be) of the abuser progressing towards responsible behavior.   Secondly, unlike such vices as gambling, compulsive shopping or sheer laziness, we can actually detect drug abuse.  It's rational, since it's possible, to try to monitor and discourage self-destructive behaviors.  Granted, that is a bit of a double standard, but I think it is a practical one.
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 11:48:56 AM »
"...Your point about not picking and choosing vices to complain about is also valid, but I would point out that drug use has two differences over many other vices.  First, drug use is not only financially debilitating but also physically and emotionally as well.  The physical effects of substance abuse exacerbate the tendency to "screw up" and decrease the likelihood (slim though it may be) of the abuser progressing towards responsible behavior.   Secondly, unlike such vices as gambling, compulsive shopping or sheer laziness, we can actually detect drug abuse.  It's rational, since it's possible, to try to monitor and discourage self-destructive behaviors.  Granted, that is a bit of a double standard, but I think it is a practical one."

Ok but there is an alternative to think about. Lab rats will press a lever many many times (work) to get a shot of cocane.

Addicts could be getting a lot of work done if the work was paying off in dope.

The government could get Cocane at very low prices compared to the street so whereever they were building a fence or digging a trench the government could get the work done at bargan rates ..... and pretty fast.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 12:59:01 PM »
Do I believe in workfare?  In theory, sure.  In the Soviet Union, if a guy didn't earn his keep at some kind of productive labour, even make-work, like sweeping the streets, this was "parasitism" and he'd wind up in a labour camp where he God-damn well HAD to perform some kind of labour or suffer consequences you don't even want to think about if he didn't.

I think, like any bureaucratically-administered program, workfare is subject to abuse.  But since this particular bureaucratically-administered program is dealing primarily with society's most vulnerable and defenceless members, it's particularly subject to abuse.  There's some danger of it's being used punitively or maliciously by mean, petty bureaucrats drunk on their own power over the powerless.  But even if applied properly, IMHO, it's basically a very impractical program.

I have known quite a few welfare recipients.  I can tell you in all honesty, I can't recall even one of them who I'd be happy to have on my payroll.  It isn't their fault, it's just the way they are.  It is not really a practical idea to put them into the workforce against their will.   The only people that really like it are the people it's really designed for - - the ideologues who believe it's immoral for someone to take money without earning it.  The ones with no sense of charity in their bones.  But like most right-wing ideologues, these people are extremely impractical, with very limited understanding of the real world.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 01:35:09 PM »
<<I think when you have the responsibility to support someone - especially someone whose bad habits are the cause of that responsibility - you have the right to expect that person to at least try to improve their behavior.  Simply put, the sooner the Welfare Bum stops doing the bad things that cost me bucks, the sooner I get to keep my bucks. >>

True enough.  But only true in the sense that "If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle" is true.  You gotta deal with the world as it is, Pooch, not as you'd like it to be.

<<I think it is reasonable to presume that when someone takes my money against my will, it is a willful surrender of freedom on their part. >>

Pooch, you oughtta spend more time among the low-lifes.  In the real world.  Hang out in a government welfare office for an hour once a week.  Take a number.   These guys are coming in to pick up a cheque.  THEIR cheque.  That the government OWES them.  They aren't thinking in Hobbesian terms of freedom and its surrender.   If you told them, they must live their lives as YOU dictate in order for them to continue to receive this miserable pittance, they'd probably choose to get what they need by other means that are even less socially productive than welfare.

<< If I must support you, I ought to be able to have some say in getting you self-sufficient again. My right to interfere in your life comes from the effect those affairs are having on me. I have a right to get upset about someone who takes my money and intends to continue doing so. >>

You are reminding me of the old admonition about not trying to teach a pig to sing.  It'll never happen, and you will annoy the pig.  These guys are what they are, Pooch.  It's almost never their fault, they're the bottom three or four percent of the population, and every population is always gonna have a bottom three or four per cent.  By definition.  They're just the members of the human family who happen to have had the worst luck and the least advantages in life in the whole damn family.  The system DOES provide retraining, DOES provide counselling, DOES provide drug rehab - - these are the ones who are so fucked up that they can't or won't benefit from what help the system provides.  The MOST vulnerable, the MOST incapacitated, the MOST incapable of changing for the better.  The bottom ten percent of the bottom three per cent.  But still members of your family.  What are you going to do, turn your back on 'em?

<<Alfred P. Doolittle is an endearing character, but only on stage.>>

OK, great, NOW we're getting somewhere.  Think of Alfred P.  Why do you like him?  What is so endearing about him?  And try to transfer those feelings into the real world.  To real people.  Shouldn't be all that hard.  The basic emotional component is already there.

<<Your point about not picking and choosing vices to complain about is also valid, but I would point out that drug use has two differences over many other vices.  First, drug use is not only financially debilitating but also physically and emotionally as well.  The physical effects of substance abuse exacerbate the tendency to "screw up" and decrease the likelihood (slim though it may be) of the abuser progressing towards responsible behavior. >>

Well, you realize the problem yourself.  That "slim though it may be" is really an acknowledgment that the drug abuse is really just a symptom, that the real problem lies beneath that.   WHY is the guy abusing drugs?  And from welfare's POV, what's the difference?  The guy's disabled by whatever problem leads to the drug abuse, someone else is disabled by the gambling bug, someone else by borderline mental illness, etc., etc.  Welfare is not their therapy.  Welfare is just their support mechanism, to support them with the necessities of life.  They all get that basic support.  Hopefully, the welfare offices can steer them to whatever curative agencies are available to treat the drug addiction and its cause, to treat the unskilled by upgrading his skills, to treat the gambler, the psychotic, etc.  But welfare is to keep them alive UNTIL.

<<Secondly, unlike such vices as gambling, compulsive shopping or sheer laziness, we can actually detect drug abuse.  It's rational, since it's possible, to try to monitor and discourage self-destructive behaviors.  Granted, that is a bit of a double standard, but I think it is a practical one.>>

Again back in the real world you can detect most of the other problems too.  Most of these guys will freely admit to them.  They have no pride and they don't give a shit.  In other cases, you just have to ask their wives, girlfriends, children or mothers.  The problems of the welfare recipient are not closely-guarded military secrets.   A lot of the time you can't get them to shut up about them.  And you're right, it is a bit of a double standard.  Charity is charity, it's based on need, not virtue.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 02:05:16 PM »
"........every population is always gonna have a bottom three or four per cent..."

What do you do to maximise the potential of these people?

Conrawise what do you do to prevent the bttom three percent from becomeing the bottom six percent?

If welfare actually makes getting by into good living a few more percent will fall into it.
At the least their recreationsl drugs should not be our responsiblity to buy.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 02:42:11 PM »
<<What do you do to maximise the potential of these people?>>

Re-training, free public health care, free drug-abuse counseling, free needle exchanges, counselling, adult education.  We ARE providing that.  Our former Conservative government cut a lot of the programs, but our new Liberal government (which just got re-elected two weeks ago in a landslide) is restoring them.

<<Conrawise what do you do to prevent the bttom three percent from becomeing the bottom six percent?>>

Free public health care, more emphasis on mental-health programs and sex education in the schools, anti-racism campaigns, drug programmes, better housing, basically a whole lotta social welfare programs, everything that conservatives hate.

<<If welfare actually makes getting by into good living a few more percent will fall into it.>>

Why don't you try living for a month on what one of our welfare recipients here gets, and then tell me what kind of "good living" it is?

<<At the least their recreationsl drugs should not be our responsiblity to buy.>>

Since it's inevitable that they're gonna spend some of their welfare money on dope, I think it's only practical that you ensure them a good supply of cheap legal dope so that they have more of your taxpayer money to spend on more wholesome and constructive purposes.  Hopefully with publicly funded drug-abuse programs and mental health initiatives, whatever is driving them to abuse drugs in the first place can be treated, cured or at least cut back.  Unless of course you have no problem with watching them blow your money on over-priced dope and have to come back to get more for food.