Author Topic: Don't lie & say you are "behind the troops" when you ignore their heroism  (Read 11578 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Disrespecting The American Military
Wednesday, October 24, 2007

By Bill O'Reilly

Last night our lead story on 'The Factor' was the Medal of Honor awarded to Navy S.E.A.L. Lieutenant Michael Murphy who was killed in Afghanistan trying to save his unit. Lieutenant Murphy's bravery is chronicled in a best selling book, "Lone Survivor," and it is truly an incredible saga.

Why then did CNN and MSNBC fail to report the Medal of Honor story in primetime last night? Easy question, disturbing answer. Katie Couric on CBS News gave Lieutenant Murphy more than three minutes, Charles Gibson on ABC News more than two minutes, Brian Williams didn't report the ceremony although he did cover the story last week.

But apparently Lieutenant Murphy was not ready for primetime on our cable competition even though they had hours to get mention of it on the air. The hard truth is that MSNBC and CNN are not going to report stories that reflect well on the American military because those people over there despise the Bush administration and believe anything positive like American heroes in war zones, detract from their negative assessment of the administration.

Thus, the military becomes a casualty of a committed left-ideology that is in play on our competition. There is no question about it. And it is ideology that is driving those people, not which stories are worthy or an effective business plan.

So ignoring great stories like Lieutenant Murphy can't be based on news value or business. It is just stupid ideology.

Now, I don't want to hear CNN or NBC News say they support the troops. I don't ever want to hear that.

Lieutenant Murphy is the only person to receive the Medal of Honor for action in Afghanistan, a war zone that is directly dealing with Al Qaeda and they're Taliban enablers.

Don't insult the American people by saying you are behind the troops when you ignore their heroism. CNN and NBC News can't get enough of negative war zone stories. They run them all day long. And really, how many heroes are there these days? And you ignore, ignore a Medal of Honor winner? Awful.

"Talking Points" has said this before. There is no accountability for the media in America. No election, no oversights. Only you, the folks, can hold them responsible.

On their primetime broadcast last night, CNN and MSNBC just said no to Lieutenant Michael Murphy and his proud family.

There is no excuse.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,304700,00.html

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Bullshit. 

Every war produces "heroes."  For every photogenic white guy who gets a medal slapped on his dead ass for the greater glory of Bush's war, there are probably dozens of less photogenic Hispanics, blacks and Asians who also die "heroic" deaths and never get a second's notice.

I'll believe that O'Reilly is truly interested in promoting "heroism" and not glorifying war when he devotes some airtime to dead Taliban and Iraqi Resistance heroes who sacrificed their lives to save their units.  Partisan little prick.  I can see through him like he was glass.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
I'll believe that O'Reilly is truly interested in promoting "heroism" and not glorifying war when he devotes some airtime to dead Taliban and Iraqi Resistance heroes who sacrificed their lives to save their units.  Partisan little prick.  I can see through him like he was glass.

Should Air America (are they still around? ) sing the praises of conservatives?

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
"devotes some airtime to dead Taliban"

Oh yeah that is a great idea, to honor the Taliban killed in battle.
Maybe we could make the terror training camps they ran in Afghanistan before 9/11 places of High Honor.
I bet the American People would love to see Taliban Fighters getting the Medal Of Honor too.
Maybe start giving Taliban IslamoNazis full honor guard ceremonies and bury them in Arlington National Cemetary.
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
It seems that O'Reilly is interested in defaming his competition to me and not in the soldier's story. I mean, just look at the article.

Plus, what the hell does he care what CNN and MSNBC show? It is all a race for corporate sponsorship anyway, and does anyone really watch the 24/7 news anymore? (I guess people do, to be fair).

This smacks of typical O'Reilly holier-than-thou mudslinging to me. He does that a lot. Not that his competitions doesn't. I'm going to have to agree with Tee in that I doubt O'Reilly gives a rat's ass about this guy and his medal of honor when he's out dining at one of Manhattan's finest restaurants.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
<<Should Air America (are they still around? ) sing the praises of conservatives?>>

If Air America were truly interested in doing a piece on heroism in battle (for what conceivable reason only God would know)  I would expect them to sing the praises of ANYONE who was heroic in battle - - liberals, conservatives, whatever.  They could show the people how Adolf Hitler won his Iron Cross and how Hermann Goering won his "Pour le merite."  Some names you would NEVER see in that  show would be Bush (Jr.) and Cheney.  They would have to appear in a very different kind of show.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Some additional thoughts on the subject - - O'Reilly is truly despicable.  He's USING the dead Murphy and his alleged heroism as a vehicle for bashing his competition. AND promoting Bush's war at the same time.  Get this:  BECAUSE of CNN's reluctance to use the dead chump as "news" (as if dozens of dumbass schmucks just like him weren't being struck down every month in Iraq and Aghanistan) this somehow invalidates their news stories about the course of the war.  Believe in Bush's war because Lt. Murphy died for it.  Wow, talk about never going broke by underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Some names you would NEVER see in that  show would be Bush (Jr.) and Cheney.

And notably...Bill O'Reilly.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
<<And notably...Bill O'Reilly.>>

LOL.  THAT'S for God-damn sure!

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Some additional thoughts on the subject - - O'Reilly is truly despicable.  He's USING the dead Murphy and his alleged heroism as a vehicle for bashing his competition. AND promoting Bush's war at the same time.  

Now, let's provide a couple of substitutions and watch the equivalent amount of condemnation:

Some additional thoughts on the subject - - Sheehan is truly despicable.  She's USING her dead son and his alleged heroism as a vehicle for bashing her competition. AND promoting MoveOn's Anti-war movement at the same time.  

Did anyone see any yet?  Or did we actually see same 'ol rationalization tap dancing, that gives Sheehan's version of using the dead a pass, since of course, ends justify the means here
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Don't lie & say you are "behind the troops" when you ignore their heroism
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 12:28:23 PM »
Paying honor to Taliban or Al Quieda that behave in an honorable way might be a good idea.

Haveing someone on the other side that you can talk to later, when the fighting is over  , is a good thing and encourageing honor might encourage honorable treatment of captives and innocents.

As it is, Al Queda is about to die for lack of honor so it behaves as if it had no honor to loose.

If our aim is the utter destruction of their movement ,then it is moot to honor them , if, rather we want peace and peace can be made with the likes of them , it is meet that we honor what of them is worthy of it.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 04:48:25 PM »
sirs:  <<Now, let's provide a couple of substitutions and watch the equivalent amount of condemnation:

<<Some additional thoughts on the subject - - Sheehan is truly despicable.  She's USING her dead son and his alleged heroism as a vehicle for bashing her competition. AND promoting MoveOn's Anti-war movement at the same time.  >>
============================================

WOW.  I am completely blown away by the post.  THANK YOU once again, sirs, for your textbook illustration of the utter divorce between real life and real feelings on the one hand and whatever passes for "thought" in the reptilian brain of a fascist like you on the other.

You obviously have no clue of the difference between Cindy Sheehan and Bill O'Reilly.  I'll bet 99 people in a hundred would know the difference without thinking, but a fascist - - totally divorced from any kind of human feeling - - of course would be utterly clueless about it.

Let me help you out.  And boy do you need it! 

Cindy Sheehan is a MOTHER.  She is a mother who has lost her son.  (Ahhh, he still doesn't get it.)  OK, sirs:  in real life . . . ahhh, forget it.  REAL LIFE?  and sirs?    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I give up.  You're right, sirs.  Bill O'Reilly feels the loss of Lt. Murphy every bit as deeply as Cindy Sheehan feels the loss of her son.  After all, they're both Americans and the deceased are each dead Americans, so what's the difference?  The loss of Lt. Murphy was every bit as painful to O'Reilly as the loss of Casey was to Cindy Sheehan, so of course if Bill O'Reilly chooses to exploit Lt. Murphy cynically for his own political ends, it follows that that must also be the explanation for Cindy Sheehan's performance.  Why on earth  think that she would be any more sincere than O'Reilly?  Didn't each of them suffer the same horrific loss?

Guys, if anyone wonders how fascists like sirs or anyone else can back war and torture (ooops, sorry, sirs doesn't BACK torture, he just attempts to minimize it; I forgot, he's against the use of blow-torches in the interrogation rooms, what a fucking humanitarian!) anyway, wonder no further.  For a guy who apparently can live out his whole life in total ignorance of the mother-child bond to comment on any aspect of human life seems about as absurd as a robot writing an advice-to-the-lovelorn column. 

Thanks again, sirs.  Your contribution was priceless.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 04:53:52 PM »
<<As it is, Al Queda is about to die for lack of honor so it behaves as if it had no honor to loose.>>

Let's cut the crap, plane.  They're about to die for getting between Bush and a whole shitload of oil.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 05:01:56 PM »
sirs:  <<Now, let's provide a couple of substitutions and watch the equivalent amount of condemnation:

<<Some additional thoughts on the subject - - Sheehan is truly despicable.  She's USING her dead son and his alleged heroism as a vehicle for bashing her competition. AND promoting MoveOn's Anti-war movement at the same time.  >>
============================================

You obviously have no clue of the difference between Cindy Sheehan and Bill O'Reilly.  I'll bet 99 people in a hundred would know the difference without thinking

I guess I'm part of the 99, since I do.  Outside of the emotional involvement, 1 is supportive of the war 1 is inflicted with BDS.  It's a pretty safe assumption which camp you fall in line with

I'll bet 99 people in a hundred would know the difference without thinking, but a fascist
[/qiuote]

Not too far in the future, that term will have lost all meaning as to what true fascism & evil is, when it's thrown around so often at ANYTHING that doesn't fit the predisposed Tee template of what is is

But there, for all to see, Tee's famous hypocritic rationalization efforts.  Condemning acts of torture, except of course when it's his communist friends in Cuba doing it, and here condemning O'Reily for his apparent use of using a military death to push a pro-war position, but when it's done to push an anti-war position, hell, nothing wrong with that

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 05:09:25 PM »
I don't know Sirs, that's a bit of a stretch.

On one hand we have a guy who makes $9 million a year working for Fox News and he certainly makes no qualms about using the death of this soldier as a way to malign his competition.

On the other hand we have a mother who lost her son, who was killed in the Iraq War.

You make this a case of equivalence and I'm not seeing it. There are certainly parents, siblings, etc of dead soldiers who support the war effort and those who do not. Hell, there are Iraq vets who support the war effort and those who do not.

But to say that their cases are equivalent to O'Reilly's position...not only don't they seem to be in the same ballpark - they seem to be playing different sports. 
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster