Author Topic: Pelosi no shoo-in for job as speaker  (Read 3775 times)

The_Professor

Pelosi no shoo-in for job as speaker
« on: October 20, 2006, 06:36:46 PM »
The Washington Times
www.washingtontimes.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pelosi no shoo-in for job as speaker
By Charles Hurt
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Published October 20, 2006

Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi's prospects for becoming the nation's first female House speaker depend not only on a Democratic victory in November but also on her ability to prevent any Democrats from voting against her -- primarily centrists opposed to her liberal stances.
    At least one Democratic House candidate has pledged not to support Mrs. Pelosi, and others in conservative districts have refused to commit their support -- potentially leaving Mrs. Pelosi shy of the 218 votes required for the chamber's top post.
    Democrat Charlie Stuart, who hopes to unseat Republican Rep. Ric Keller in Florida, already has said he opposes Mrs. Pelosi and would prefer Rep. Steny H. Hoyer, the more conservative No. 2 Democrat in the House whose strained relations with Mrs. Pelosi have been well-chronicled on Capitol Hill.
    "He's a centrist," Stuart spokeswoman Sultana Ali said of the Florida Democrat. "His values really are more in line with Steny Hoyer than Nancy Pelosi."
    At least three other Democrats contacted by The Washington Times refused to commit their support to Mrs. Pelosi, whose San Francisco district is far more liberal than the districts that are up for grabs in this election.
    Ordinarily, a party's leadership structure is set by the caucus in advance, and all members are expected go along with the decision. In the eight years Rep. J. Dennis Hastert, Illinois Republican, has been speaker, he's never had a protest vote cast against him.
    Mrs. Pelosi, whose voting record is considerably more liberal than many of her fellow Democrats, has never enjoyed that luxury. In last year's election for speaker, one Democrat opposed her for the top post. Four Democrats opposed her in 2003, with three of them simply voting "present" as a protest.
    Such protest votes are a sign of dissension within a party. But in the upcoming Congress -- where Democrats could hold the majority by just one or two seats -- any members who vote for someone other than Mrs. Pelosi or simply decide not to vote could trigger parliamentary mayhem.
    If Mrs. Pelosi were to fail to win, the speakership would go to the highest vote-getter, most likely Mr. Hastert. Democrats would later win it back by settling on a leader after an intraparty showdown that could pit Mrs. Pelosi against Mr. Hoyer.
    But many insiders say Mrs. Pelosi has already moved to protect herself from Mr. Hoyer by privately encouraging another conservative Democrat -- Rep. John P. Murtha of Pennsylvania -- to announce earlier this year he will run for the party's No. 2 position if Democrats gain control of the chamber. Mr. Murtha, who is conservative on many issues but has lately become a hero of the left for demanding that troops be withdrawn from Iraq, is considered a formidable challenger.
    One of those who opposed Mrs. Pelosi in 2003 was former Rep. Ken Lucas, Kentucky Democrat, who retired the following year. Now he is trying to regain his seat from the Republican who replaced him, and Democrats list the race as among one of their most promising chances to pick up a seat in November.
    The Lucas campaign did not return several phone messages inquiring whether he would support Mrs. Pelosi for speaker.
    Rep. Gene Taylor, a conservative Democrat from Mississippi, refused to support Mrs. Pelosi in both past leadership elections. Each time, he has cast his protest vote for Mr. Murtha.
    Next year, however, Mr. Taylor said he would support Mrs. Pelosi, at least if his was the deciding vote.
    "If it comes down to Hastert or Pelosi, then I'm certainly not going to vote for Hastert," he said. "I'm not going to vote against my own self-interest."
    Mr. Taylor said that voters in his district -- which went 66 percent for President Bush in 2000 -- don't have much in common with Mrs. Pelosi, who visited recently to survey the damage left by Hurricane Katrina.
    "People were very nice to her," Mr. Taylor said.
    Heath Shuler, the former Washington Redskins quarterback who is challenging Rep. Charles H. Taylor in North Carolina, is another Democrat running in a conservative district who refuses to say whether he would support Mrs. Pelosi for speaker.
    "He will support whoever he thinks will best represent this district," Shuler spokesman Andrew Whalen said.
    Mr. Taylor's campaign -- like vulnerable Republican campaigns in conservative districts across the country -- has gone to some effort to smear the Democratic candidate by association to Mrs. Pelosi.
    Pelosi spokeswoman Jennifer Crider said it's a campaign that won't work.
    "Republicans are without a single winning issue, so it's no wonder they are desperately trying to falsely smear a churchgoing grandmother who has made fiscal responsibility, bipartisanship and middle-class tax cuts a priority," she said.
    In some races, such as Democrat Brad Ellsworth's effort to unseat Republican Rep. John Hostettler in Indiana, the charge has become so heavy that the Democrat ran a television commercial pleading with voters that the election "isn't about Nancy Pelosi." Mr. Ellsworth also refuses to say he will support Mrs. Pelosi for speaker.
    Said Gene Taylor of Mississippi: "I still wish Jack Murtha would run for speaker. He's pro-gun, pro-life, a real conservative."

Mucho

Re: Pelosi no shoo-in for job as speaker
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 06:50:28 PM »
One less thing for the Bushidiot to scare themasses with.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 10:37:15 PM »
I'm not sure why ooooh PELOSI might be Speaker!  is supposed to be so scary.   

Speaker Hastert is a waddling hunched over former coach who resigned in a cloud (supposedly liked to touch the kids he coached) and Nancy Pelosi is supposed to scare people?  Please.  Get over it already.   Democrats are not spawn of Satan, Republicans are not remnants of the Cross. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

The_Professor

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 07:52:38 AM »
Lanya, I think it has more to do with her pretty leftist politicial positions. Nwo, to be fair to her, are these what she really beleives or are they positions she takes because she represents a leftist constituency in San Francisco?

Regardless, it is all moot if the Democrats cannot win a majority in November, correct?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 12:54:24 PM »
Correct.

Can you tell me which of Pelosi's positions you find to be "leftist"?
Or "extreme leftist"?

Would FDR have engendered your ire in the same way?

I write Pelosi (and Reid and Boxer and others) to tell them when they aren't being as true to Democratic principles as I would like. I think she's fairly middle of the road, myself.   I wonder if you're falling for the hype.   
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 11:49:09 PM »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 04:03:04 AM »
Correct.

Can you tell me which of Pelosi's positions you find to be "leftist"?
Or "extreme leftist"?

Would FDR have engendered your ire in the same way?

I write Pelosi (and Reid and Boxer and others) to tell them when they aren't being as true to Democratic principles as I would like. I think she's fairly middle of the road, myself.   I wonder if you're falling for the hype.   

Who and how many are further left?

http://www.vote-smart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=H0222103

Gun Issues
(Back to top)

Date                      Bill Title                                                                           Vote
06/28/2006           Trigger Lock Amendment                                                      N
01/16/2006            Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives                N
10/20/2005            Firearms Manufacturers Protection bill                                      N
04/09/2003             Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act                            N
06/18/1999              72 Hour Background Check Amendment                                Y
06/18/1999              24 Hour Background Check Amendment                                 N
06/18/1999              Mandatory Gun Show Background Check Act                            N
03/22/1996              Gun Ban Real Act of 1995                                                      N

This set is a perfect match with Cynthia Mckinney's votes.

If Nancy Pelosi is not an extreme left winger , then there must be some set of Senators and congressmen to her left.

I don't know who this would be , John Kerry?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 04:10:29 AM by Plane »

The_Professor

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 03:02:31 PM »
Than kyou, Plane, for this research. Pelosi is also pro-death, anti-NRA, pro-gay.

So, I also ask as Plane has already done: "Who could possibly be more "left" than Pelosi?"

So, Lanya, you agree with her positions?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 03:36:01 PM »
I'm not sure what those votes mean.  Did one of them require no firearms within so many yards of a school? Did one require checking into the criminal record or lack of one when someone was buying a gun? I don't think that is either left or right.  Unless you want to say only Democrats from the far left are concerned about firearm safety.   

So Professor, you have nothing more to say about her positions? You simply "believe" that she's far left?  You have nothing to back up your statement with?

The_Professor

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 04:13:54 PM »
Voted YES on allowing human embryonic stem cell research. (May 2005)
Voted NO on restricting interstate transport of minors to get abortions. (Apr 2005)
Voted NO on making it a crime to harm a fetus during another crime. (Feb 2004)
Voted NO on banning partial-birth abortion except to save mother’s life. (Oct 2003)
Voted NO on forbidding human cloning for reproduction & medical research. (Feb 2003)
Voted NO on funding for health providers who don't provide abortion info. (Sep 2002)
Voted NO on banning Family Planning funding in US aid abroad. (May 2001)
Voted NO on federal crime to harm fetus while committing other crimes. (Apr 2001)
Voted NO on banning partial-birth abortions. (Apr 2000) This, alone, would mean I could never vote for her.
Voted NO on barring transporting minors to get an abortion. (Jun 1999)
Rated 100% by NARAL, indicating a pro-choice voting record. (Dec 2003)
Supported funding contraception and UN family planning. (Jul 1999)

Voted NO on Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage. (Sep 2004)
Voted NO on protecting the Pledge of Allegiance. (Sep 2004) Gimme a break!
Voted NO on constitutional amendment prohibiting flag desecration. (Jun 2003)
Voted NO on banning gay adoptions in DC. (Jul 1999) Why does this not surprise me?
Voted NO on ending preferential treatment by race in college admissions. (May 1998)
Constitutional Amendment for equal rights by gender. (Mar 2001) Aargh!
Rated 87% by the ACLU, indicating a pro-civil rights voting record. (Dec 2002)

More funding and stricter sentencing for hate crimes. (Apr 2001)  Hiidden agenda here' pro-gay.

Voted NO on military border patrols to battle drugs & terrorism. (Sep 2001)
Voted NO on prohibiting needle exchange & medical marijuana in DC. (Oct 1999)
Voted NO on subjecting federal employees to random drug tests. (Sep 1998)
Voted to legalize medical marijuana. (Jul 2001)

Voted NO on allowing school prayer during the War on Terror. See, told ya!

Voted NO on allowing vouchers in DC schools. (Aug 1998) ditto
Voted NO on vouchers for private & parochial schools. (Nov 1997) ditto

Opposes requiring schools to allow school prayer. (Jan 2001) Of course!
Rated 100% by the NEA, indicating pro-public education votes. (Dec 2003)

Voted YES on increasing AMTRAK funding by adding $214M to $900M. (Jun 2006)
Voted YES on barring website promoting Yucca Mountain nuclear waste dump. (May 2006)
Voted NO on deauthorizing "critical habitat" for endangered species. (Sep 2005)
Voted NO on speeding up approval of forest thinning projects. (Nov 2003)
Rated 90% by the LCV, indicating pro-environment votes. (Dec 2003)

Voted NO on deploying SDI. (Mar 1999) Bet Japan would love this now.
End the use of anti-personnel mines. (Mar 2001)
Rated 100% by SANE, indicating a pro-peace voting record. (Dec 2003)

Rated 0% by FAIR, indicating a voting record loosening immigration. (Dec 2003)

Rated 87% by the AFL-CIO, indicating a pro-union voting record. (Dec 2003)

Voted NO on making permanent an increase in the child tax credit. (May 2004)
Voted NO on permanently eliminating the marriage penalty. (Apr 2004)
Voted NO on eliminating the "marriage penalty". (Jul 2000)
Rated 21% by NTU, indicating a "Big Spender" on tax votes. (Dec 2003)

Voted YES on increasing fines for indecent broadcasting. (Feb 2005)
Voted NO on promoting commercial human space flight industry. (Nov 2004)
Voted NO on banning Internet gambling by credit card. (Jun 2003)

We cannot occupy Iraq indefinitely: We need an exit plan. (Feb 2005)  I actually agree with this one.
Voted NO on declaring Iraq part of War on Terror with no exit date. (Jun 2006)
Voted NO on approving removal of Saddam & valiant service of US troops. (Mar 2004)
Voted NO on authorizing military force in Iraq. (Oct 2002)
Voted NO on disallowing the invasion of Kosovo. (May 1999) Typical; we cannot invade Iraq, but we can bomb Yugoslavia!

Voted NO on treating religious organizations equally for tax breaks. (Jul 2001) Of course, Nancy!

Believes that Abortion is a woman's right Ok, so you end another life! Come on! What arrogance!
Rated 100% by NARAL, indicating a pro-choice voting record.
Supported funding contraception and UN family planning:
NO on barring transporting minors to get an abortion:
NO on banning partial-birth abortions
NO on banning Family Planning funding in US aid abroad: 
NO on federal crime to harm fetus while committing other crimes:
NO on funding for health providers who don't provide abortion info:
NO on banning partial-birth abortion except to save mother’s life:
NO on making it a crime to harm a fetus during another crime:
NO on restricting interstate transport of minors to get abortions: 
YES on allowing human embryonic stem cell research:

Supports legislation to require companies to hire more women & minorities
Constitutional Amendment for equal rights by gender:
Wage war on Terrorism, not on fellow Americans
Supported funding for women's and disadvantaged businesses:
NO on ending preferential treatment by race in college admissions:
YES on $84 million in grants for Black and Hispanic colleges: 
Sexual orientation protected by civil rights laws
More funding and stricter sentencing for hate crimes:
NO on banning gay adoptions in DC.: 
NO on Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage
Opposes requiring schools to allow school prayer:
Rated 8% by the Christian Coalition: an anti-family voting record:
NO on Unknown roll call for 2001-232:
NO on allowing school prayer during the War on Terror:
NO on constitutional amendment prohibiting flag desecration:
NO on protecting the Pledge of Allegiance:
Strongly favors more federal funding for health coverage
Strongly Opposes the absolute right to gun ownership
Rated F by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun control voting record:
NO on decreasing gun waiting period from 3 days to 1:
NO on prohibiting suing gunmakers & sellers for gun misuse:
NO on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers:

Rated 21% by NTU, indicating a "Big Spender" on tax votes:
NO on eliminating the "marriage penalty":
NO on $46 billion in tax cuts for small business: 
NO on reducing Marriage Tax by $399B over 10 years:

Strongly Favors illegal immigrants earn citizenship
Rated 0% by FAIR, indicating a voting record loosening immigration:

Opposes more spending on armed forces
Rated 100% by SANE, indicating a pro-peace voting record:
NO on deploying SDI:
NO on continuing military recruitment on college campuses: 
NO on disallowing the invasion of Kosovo:

Replace coal & oil with alternatives  Well, I agree with her here.
Preserve Alaska's ANWR instead of drilling it:
Rated 90% by the LCV, indicating pro-environment votes:
YES on prohibiting oil drilling & development in ANWR:
NO on authorizing construction of new oil refineries:
NO on scheduling permitting for new oil refinieries: 

NO on subjecting federal employees to random drug tests:
NO on prohibiting needle exchange & medical marijuana in DC:
NO on military border patrols to battle drugs & terrorism: 
Strongly Opposes allowing churches to provide welfare services
NO on responsible fatherhood via faith-based organizations:
NO on treating religious organizations equally for tax breaks:   

So, Nancy Pelosi is a Hard-Core Liberal. I wouldn't vote for her, probably under ANY circumstances.

The_Professor

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 04:54:28 PM »
Lanya, this is the way it should have looked instead for my vote anyway: (a representative sample)

Voted NO on $100M to reduce teen pregnancy by education & contraceptives. (Mar 2005)
Voted YES on criminal penalty for harming unborn fetus during other crime. (Mar 2004)
Voted YES on banning partial birth abortions except for maternal life. (Mar 2003)
Voted YES on funding for health providers who don't provide abortion info. (Sep 2002)
Voted YES on banning Family Planning funding in US aid abroad. (May 2001)
Voted YES on federal crime to harm fetus while committing other crimes. (Apr 2001)
Voted YES on banning partial-birth abortions. (Apr 2000)
Voted YES on barring transporting minors to get an abortion. (Jun 1999)
Rated 0% by NARAL, indicating a pro-life voting record. (Dec 2003)

Voted YES on recommending Constitutional ban on flag desecration. (Jun 2006)
Voted YES on constitutional ban of same-sex marriage. (Jun 2006)
Voted YES on banning gay adoptions in DC. (Jul 1999)
Voted YES on ending preferential treatment by race in college admissions. (May 1998)
Supports anti-flag desecration amendment. (Mar 2001)
Rated 7% by the ACLU, indicating an anti-civil rights voting record. (Dec 2002)

Voted YES on military border patrols to battle drugs & terrorism. (Sep 2001)
Voted YES on prohibiting needle exchange & medical marijuana in DC. (Oct 1999)
Voted YES on subjecting federal employees to random drug tests. (Sep 1998)

Voted YES on allowing school prayer during the War on Terror. (Nov 2001)
Voted YES on requiring states to test students. (May 2001)
Voted YES on allowing vouchers in DC schools. (Aug 1998)
Voted YES on vouchers for private & parochial schools. (Nov 1997)
Supports requiring schools to allow prayer. (Jan 2001)
Rated 27% by the NEA, indicating anti-public education votes. (Dec 2003)
Supports a Constitutional Amendment for school prayer. (May 1997)

Voted YES on reducing Marriage Tax by $399B over 10 years. (Mar 2001)
Rated 100% by the Christian Coalition: a pro-family voting record. (Dec 2003

Voted YES on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)
Voted NO on banning lawsuits against gun manufacturers for gun violence. (Mar 2004)
Voted NO on decreasing gun waiting period from 3 days to 1. (Jun 1999)
Rated A+ by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun rights voting record. (Dec 2003)

Voted YES on treating religious organizations equally for tax breaks. (Jul 2001)
Voted YES on responsible fatherhood via faith-based organizations. (Nov 1999)
Limit welfare to 2 years & cut welfare spending. (Sep 1994)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 08:51:55 PM »
http://www.vote-smart.org/

I like this website , it does not hardly tell you enough by itself, but it puts public information in order and makes it easy to place legislators on the spectrum where they belong.

Lanya , I really beleive that Nancy Pelosi is very leftist and that this is not spin or hype , as far as I know she is as far left as anyone who has ever been elected.

This leaves me sanguine about the prospect of a Congressional  revolution leaveing the Democrats in the drivers seat , the agendas and special interests that would be served would shock and perplex most of the Electoriate . Two years later we get to do over.

The_Professor

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 09:37:07 PM »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 09:47:08 PM »
I enjoyed the votematch quiz at the bottom of that website.

http://www.speakout.com/VoteMatch/quiz.asp?quiz=Pres2004#sec0

It turns out that I have a 25% agreemant rated with Jim Marshall and a 25% agreement rate with Newt Gingrich.

This must be a diffrent 25% on each.

The_Professor

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 10:09:31 PM »
I was 23% on Marshall and 20% on Gengrich. We must have similar views (which, according to your posts in thisforum do not surprise me).

I was 48% on Bush, 20% on Nader & Kerry, 15% on Edwards. My highest is 58% on Michael Peroutka, the Constitution Party candidate.

According to the website, I am listed as a Populist-Leaning Conservative.