Author Topic: Syria and the WMD Conspiracy Theories  (Read 2983 times)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Syria and the WMD Conspiracy Theories
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 03:32:38 PM »
I think it is possibly in Syria , but there isn't any real evidence for it that I have seen. It seems like Syria would never give it back so that would not be the first choice, I only call it possible because Saddam gave away his airforce rather than see it destroyed at an earlyer time.

It isn't possibly no where and it isn't possible that there was none , this is a big dog not barking.

If I were Saddam I would have injected it  in the earth  in an old oil well , then I could get it back when I wanted , but this is just another possibility with no evidence at all.

So what do you think is most likely the real explanation?

I told you what I think.

I'm not big on conspiracy theories. In 1995 Saddam's son-in-laws defected to Jordan and cooperated quite a bit with the West. One of them, Hussein Kamel gave an interview to IAEA, the transcript is here.

In it Kamel states:

I ordered destruction of all chemical weapons. All weapons - biological, chemical, missile, nuclear were destroyed.

But he says much more than that in those transcripts. A summary is provided here.

Kamel specifically discussed the significance of anthrax, which he portrayed as the "main focus" of the biological programme (pp.7-8). Smidovich asked Kamel: "were weapons and agents destroyed?"

Kamel replied: "nothing remained".

He confirmed that destruction took place "after visits of inspection teams. You have important role in Iraq with this. You should not underestimate yourself. You are very effective in Iraq." (p.7)

Kamel added: "I made the decision to disclose everything so that Iraq could return to normal." (p. eight)

Furthermore, Kamel describes the elimination of prohibited missiles: "not a single missile left but they had blueprints and molds for production. All missiles were destroyed." (p. eight)

On VX, Kamel claimed: "they put it in bombs during last days of the Iran-Iraq war. They were not used and the programme was terminated." (p.12).

Ekeus asked Kamel: "did you restart VX production after the Iran-Iraq war?"

Kamel replied: "we changed the factory into pesticide production. Part of the establishment started to produce medicine [...] We gave insturctions [sic] not to produce chemical weapons." (p.13).

Yet, Bush, Blair and others used Kamel as a reference for proving that there were WMD in Iraq.

I think it is clear that Iraq's "restarted program" was never really anything.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 03:34:27 PM by _JS »
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 03:39:41 PM »
So, do you believe that the Spetsnaz went into Iraq and moved thousands of tons of WMD to Syria?

Got no idea, but I won't dismiss it out of hand, either. Plane has a point, what happened to the chemicals that he was known to have for which is there is no trace of their reduction? And if Saddam had indeed complied, why was he still denying access to various sites right up until the UN inspection team was pulled out?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 03:49:54 PM »
So, do you believe that the Spetsnaz went into Iraq and moved thousands of tons of WMD to Syria?

Got no idea, but I won't dismiss it out of hand, either. Plane has a point, what happened to the chemicals that he was known to have for which is there is no trace of their reduction? And if Saddam had indeed complied, why was he still denying access to various sites right up until the UN inspection team was pulled out?

I guess we should ask him... ;)

Probably the same reason the UN didn't immediately make Kamel's interview testimony known. It was a game of chess, where they were trying to get Saddam to give up more information than he had already.

You cannot just hide thousands of tons of biological and chemical weapons, nor can you move it with ease and have Syria hide it as though it never existed. Even if the Russians had the greatest special forces known to history, they cannot defy physics and neither can Hussein.

To believe in what y'all are suggesting requires that the United States and United Kingdom (and others) are complete morons and that Saddam Hussein suddenly became an unbelievably competent miracle worker (a talent he's never displayed before).

I tend to think that Kamel was probably correct and the weapons simply never existed and were all destroyed.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 04:01:22 PM »
I tend to think that Kamel was probably correct and the weapons simply never existed and were all destroyed.

how can you destroy something that never existed?

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 04:08:30 PM »

how can you destroy something that never existed?

:P

You knew what I meant.

I tend to think that Kamel was probably correct and the weapons simply never existed or were all destroyed.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster