Author Topic: A question on abortion  (Read 2407 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A question on abortion
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 03:51:44 PM »
Pregnancy, and the lack of same,  is hardly contagious.

Cervical cancer is hardly contagious. Matter of fact, it's pretty much only contagious during the act that causes pregnancy.

And yet, you feel that women should have no say over their bodies when it comes to this vaccine.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Seamus

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 04:30:52 PM »
The difficulty with naming a penalty for an act that I do not consider in any way illegal, because it is none of my business if some woman has or does not have a child, is that I do not believe that ANY penalty is proper.

I agree with you. (Supprised?)  Well, er..  okay, mostly I agree with you.  My personal stance is, if it could live outside the mothers womb, then it's ceased to be a parasitic tumor type thing and has become a human.  If you have it removed and it survives via life support and/or other medical care, and it goes into the "child welfare system" then I believe you should be paying child support to said system for the next 18 years.  However, if it's still just a growth on the inside of a woman, it's my belief she has a right to have it excised. 

To answer my own question, I think the punishment for performing an illegal should be community service of some kind.

I see that the usual people want to prosecute doctors for this. The doctor is not the person who decides whether the woman has the abortion.

Well, I did not state whether or not it was performing abortions or receiving abortions.  Some people took it one way apparently.

If Joe Bananas decides to off Little Tony, and hires Rocco and Guido to do it, according to this logic Rocco and Guido should be punished, but Joe Bananas, without whom there would have been be no murder, goes free.

Seems to me it's more akin to do you arrest the prostitute or the john?

How many years are you willing to stick a seventeen year old girl, who does not feel that she can raise a child in prison for violating your personal morality code?

I'm not.  But my opinion is above.  But if what she does is illegal in the law, I think SOME punishment should be required.  Be it $100 fine and 100 hours community service.

I personally do not ever plan to have an abortion. But it is my body and no one has a right to tell me what to do with it. If I wish to cover my face with a whacking Maori tattoo, it is not your concern.

Again, I maintain that if you wait too long, or change your mind at the last minute, then it could be murder.  If they can save the life, then you're responsible for bringing it into the world.   If you're just having a cyst removed.  That's your concern.

Likewise, I do not control any woman's body, and would not presume to tell her what she must do with it.
It's just none of my business.

When you make blanked statements like this tho, isn't it akin to saying "I do not control what that women did when she stabbed her husband.  It's just none of my business."?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 04:33:15 PM by Seamus »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 06:03:35 PM »
Cervical cancer is hardly contagious. Matter of fact, it's pretty much only contagious during the act that causes pregnancy.

====================================================================
Four comments: (1) I have never said that a vaccination should be compulsory, but it should be seriously promoted, simply because it prevents a fatal disease. Someone else made this comment, not I.
(2) If it can be passed from one person to another, then it is not "hardly contagious" it is definitely contagious. Sex is a frequent and natural act.
(3) An unwanted pregnancy has the potential of being a far greater inconvenience to a woman than taking a vaccine, and being as it could prevent a death in exchange for a simpleand harmless vaccine, it would be entirely logical for any woman to get the vaccine.
(4) Finally consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. Your trying to tell me that I am I am inconsistent about two things that differ so much as pregnancy and vaccination suggest that you might be seriously into hobgoblintry.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 07:28:20 PM »
Four comments: (1) I have never said that a vaccination should be compulsory, but it should be seriously promoted, simply because it prevents a fatal disease. Someone else made this comment, not I.
(2) If it can be passed from one person to another, then it is not "hardly contagious" it is definitely contagious. Sex is a frequent and natural act.
(3) An unwanted pregnancy has the potential of being a far greater inconvenience to a woman than taking a vaccine, and being as it could prevent a death in exchange for a simpleand harmless vaccine, it would be entirely logical for any woman to get the vaccine.
(4) Finally consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. Your trying to tell me that I am I am inconsistent about two things that differ so much as pregnancy and vaccination suggest that you might be seriously into hobgoblintry.

You have advocated mandatory vaccinations.

I guess you have never heard of a vaccination killing a person.

I have heard of such a thing happening.

The only hobgoblin around here is the one who thinks only their own opinions are valid.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Seamus

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 10:31:36 PM »
Just a note: 

I spoke with a nurse friend of mine.  She says the fetus has a heart beat and can feel pain around 9 weeks.  Does this change anything for anyone?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2007, 10:38:03 PM »
Just a note: 

I spoke with a nurse friend of mine.  She says the fetus has a heart beat and can feel pain around 9 weeks.  Does this change anything for anyone?

Should a fetus be given anesthesia before killing it?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2007, 10:38:47 PM »
Just a note: 

Unfortunately, probably not     :-\
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Seamus

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2007, 10:44:15 PM »
Just a note: 

knee jerk opinion?  Yes.  When we kill people on death row, we try and be humane about it.  Same as when we put down our beloved Fido when he gets too old.  If it can feel pain, I think some kind of anesthetic would not be out of the question...

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2007, 10:52:17 PM »
Just a note: 

knee jerk opinion?  Yes.  When we kill people on death row, we try and be humane about it.  Same as when we put down our beloved Fido when he gets too old.  If it can feel pain, I think some kind of anesthetic would not be out of the question...

Lab mice get more consideration and kindness than Human Fetuses do.

But you annot recognise their Humanity , nor even their existance as a creature, without implying that righs apply to them.

It is nessacery to deny.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2007, 11:00:51 PM »
requiring anesthesia for a fetus would have a profound psychological effect on potential clients of the procedure.