Author Topic: Hillary Clinton Is Wrong For America Thread  (Read 53966 times)

Richpo64

Re: Hillary Clinton Is Wrong For America Thread
« Reply #135 on: November 30, 2007, 04:30:55 PM »
>>Just because 2 billion (which is a minority itself...) think it's the literal truth - which I dispute anyway, most of those 2 billion do not consider it "literal truth" - does not overcome the many inaccuracies in the book.<<

I see, because you say so, it must be so.

::)

And because I say so, you're wrong.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #136 on: November 30, 2007, 05:57:40 PM »
>>That's only documentation if you believe that the Bible is literal truth. Since it hardly qualifies on that score, I'd need to see some corroborating evidence.<<

Something like 2 billion people on this planet feel the Bible qualifies as literal truth. Only a small minority puff out their chests in  impotent rage and claim otherwise.

Rich, since when do Catholics take the Bible as the literal truth? Surely you were taught the same things I was in Catholic school.

Richpo64

« Reply #137 on: November 30, 2007, 06:00:30 PM »
>>Rich, since when do Catholics take the Bible as the literal truth? Surely you were taught the same things I was in Catholic school.<<

Please provide evidence otherwise.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: November 30, 2007, 06:22:29 PM »
The Holy Mother Church certainly does NOT believe that all the Bible is literal truth.

The Song of Songs, for example, is NOT a love poem written by Solomon for his lover. It is, and the Church will corraborate me on this, a love poem written by JESUS for the HOLY MOTHER CHURCH.

That, gentlemen, is far from literal.

"Thy breasts are as two young roes that are twins..."

O Richie, Puh LEESE.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: November 30, 2007, 06:22:58 PM »
I see, because you say so, it must be so.

Nope. Because many of those 2 billion agree that the bible is not to be taken literally. Got nothing to do with just little ol' me. See Henny's post earlier for but one example (the Roman Catholic Church - and therefore those who are adherents to that belief).
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Richpo64

« Reply #140 on: November 30, 2007, 06:30:13 PM »
>>Nope. Because many of those 2 billion agree that the bible is not to be taken literally.<<

I see, so you can provide me with Church doctrine, Catholic or Protestant that disputes the virgin birth.

I'll wait.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2007, 07:25:18 PM »
I see, so you can provide me with Church doctrine, Catholic or Protestant that disputes the virgin birth.

I'll wait.

Don't need to. As I said, since the bible is not literal truth, we cannot rely on it as evidence. More corroborating evidence is needed, which you have yet to provide.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2007, 08:26:32 PM »
>>Rich, since when do Catholics take the Bible as the literal truth? Surely you were taught the same things I was in Catholic school.<<

Please provide evidence otherwise.

Well, besides I can't believe that we're having this discussion...

Dei Verbum.

Here's a summary: http://www.catholic.net/rcc/Periodicals/Dossier/Jan-Feb00/Article2.html

Here's the whole thing: http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19651118_dei-verbum_en.html

Richpo64

« Reply #143 on: November 30, 2007, 09:12:58 PM »
>>Well, besides I can't believe that we're having this discussion...<<

Neither can I, but I think we're just splitting hairs here. I was disccussing the virgin birth. I take it you would agree that that little item is to be taken literally?

Richpo64

« Reply #144 on: November 30, 2007, 09:13:50 PM »
>>More corroborating evidence is needed, which you have yet to provide.<<

Okay ...

<chuckle>

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: December 01, 2007, 01:05:58 AM »
McCain promises to beat Hillary Clinton 'like a drum'

Republican presidential candidate John McCain said Friday that if he wins the party's nomination he will beat Democratic front-runner Hillary Rodham Clinton "like a drum."

Asked if there were any Republicans he hoped to beat in the same fashion, the Arizona senator laughed and said, "I hope all of them."

"As your nominee, as a Republican nominee, I will be very respectful of Sen. Clinton. But I will beat her and I will beat her like a drum," he told about 100 supporters outside a small restaurant. "There are fundamental differences between us in philosophy."

McCain told reporters after the speech he had made a similar declaration in the past.

"That's a line I used frankly in 2000 when I said I could beat Al Gore like a drum. It got good coverage then," he said.

A Clinton campaign spokesman did not want to comment Friday.

At a stop later Friday in Seabrook Island, about 25 miles south of Charleston, McCain said he was better suited to take on Clinton than Rudy Giuliani because he has "a record of being conservative."

While McCain was specifically harsh on Clinton, he said he hoped his own Republican rivals could be more respectful of one another.

"I also understand that sometimes a difference in policy can spill over into, maybe unnecessary personalizing," he said.

"Mayor Giuliani and I disagree on a line item veto. I think you should have a line item veto as president of the United States which 43 governors have. He disagrees," McCain said. "The fact that I point out that disagreement doesn't mean anything personal."

During Wednesday's debate, Giuliani and Mitt Romney were involved in a testy personal exchange over immigration. It started when Romney said Giuliani had retained New York's status as a sanctuary city while he was mayor. Giuliani, the front-runner in national polls, accused Romney of employing illegal immigrants at his home.

Earlier, McCain walked through a neighborhood of modest brick homes in a subdivision where many of the residents are retirees. He didn't have to knock on any doors - dozens of people gathered at the end of their driveways to meet him.

Jack Hobgood, 79, said he has liked McCain for years, ever since he saw him on television sitting on a congressional panel.

His neighbor, 68-year-old John Foss, also retired, was noncommittal about McCain.

"He's a good possible candidate," said Foss, who moved here 14 years ago from New York. "I haven't made up my mind yet. You have about seven candidates running. Let's weed them out and go from there."

http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071130/APP/711300749&template=apart

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: December 01, 2007, 10:22:17 AM »
>>Well, besides I can't believe that we're having this discussion...<<

Neither can I, but I think we're just splitting hairs here. I was disccussing the virgin birth. I take it you would agree that that little item is to be taken literally?

Of course.

I was thinking more Old Testament. Sorry, I misunderstood.

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: December 01, 2007, 11:22:35 AM »
Iraq is fading as an Issue

"Congressional Democrats are reporting a striking change in districts across the country: Voters are shifting their attention away from the Iraq war... The apparent shift in voter intensity about Iraq, also captured in some polls, shows how dramatically the political context of the war debate has changed from last summer. Democrats believed then that mounting public pressure would soon force Republicans to take flight from Bush, allowing Congress to impose a more rapid end to the war on an unwilling administration. It has not happened yet, and if anything it Democrats are facing a stiffer challenge at year?s end than they had at the beginning to frame the public debate on their terms."

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1107/7109.html

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: December 01, 2007, 08:08:45 PM »
Clinton Booed at Heartland Forum

December 01, 2007 6:04 PM

ABC News' Eloise Harper reports: A day after dealing with a hostage crisis, Sen. Hillary Clinton faced a tough crowd in Iowa. Clinton did not receive the warmest of welcomes at the Heartland Form in Des Moines, IA, and although the hostage scare was mentioned, the announcer brushed it off quickly in order to get to questions. Clinton, who was forced to call in to speak to the crowd of thousands because of weather difficulties, took questions on topics from healthcare to illegal immigration.

The senator was asked if she would "make a decision to give undocumented immigrants a path to citizenship" during her first 100 days in office. Clinton responded saying, "I have been favoring a plan to citizenship for years. I voted for it in the Senate, I have spoke out about it around Iowa and the country and in my campaign. And as president comprehensive immigration reform will be a high priority for me."

Soft booing could be heard from the audience. The man repeated his question about the first 100 days. Clinton replied, "Well you've to get congress to pass the legislation and the president to do as much as possible, which I will do." Louder boos came from the crowd.

Clinton was thanked for her appearance and the moderator expressed sympathies for the ordeal she suffered yesterday. Clinton thanked the moderator. More booing could be heard from the crowd again after she hung up the line.

Barring any travel troubles, Clinton is still planning on attending the Brown and Black Presidential Forum in Des Moines Saturday night.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2007/12/clinton-booed-a.html

yellow_crane

« Reply #149 on: December 01, 2007, 08:46:57 PM »
Clinton Booed at Heartland Forum

December 01, 2007 6:04 PM

ABC News' Eloise Harper reports: A day after dealing with a hostage crisis, Sen. Hillary Clinton faced a tough crowd in Iowa. Clinton did not receive the warmest of welcomes at the Heartland Form in Des Moines, IA, and although the hostage scare was mentioned, the announcer brushed it off quickly in order to get to questions. Clinton, who was forced to call in to speak to the crowd of thousands because of weather difficulties, took questions on topics from healthcare to illegal immigration.

The senator was asked if she would "make a decision to give undocumented immigrants a path to citizenship" during her first 100 days in office. Clinton responded saying, "I have been favoring a plan to citizenship for years. I voted for it in the Senate, I have spoke out about it around Iowa and the country and in my campaign. And as president comprehensive immigration reform will be a high priority for me."

Soft booing could be heard from the audience. The man repeated his question about the first 100 days. Clinton replied, "Well you've to get congress to pass the legislation and the president to do as much as possible, which I will do." Louder boos came from the crowd.

Clinton was thanked for her appearance and the moderator expressed sympathies for the ordeal she suffered yesterday. Clinton thanked the moderator. More booing could be heard from the crowd again after she hung up the line.

Barring any travel troubles, Clinton is still planning on attending the Brown and Black Presidential Forum in Des Moines Saturday night.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2007/12/clinton-booed-a.html

Despite at who the boo's are directed, a greater prevalency of boo's in an election cycle signals two possibilities:

one)  Rove, DeLay, Ailes, et al, are back at work, and are planting booers.

two)  the general electorate really is sick and tired.

If it is the latter, the more boo's the better.

Crowds assembled for political debate cannot remain sedate and unpassionate, given our current downspin as a country.   The worst scenario would be for the crowds to remain at attention, paralyzed by political correctness.

Without the mantles of being unconditionally opposed to Hillary, I still think she had it coming. 

She is so attuned to exceptional spinning that it has created her most glaring performance peril--too smooth for the room.

Maybe she is too busy walking the rocks at Bill's micromanaged instruction, and would be more effective if she trusted her own instincts.  It would not take a flourished expert to realize that, in a situation like this, where questions are repeated, your best move is to get as simple and direct as you can.  Instead, Hillary believed that playing ping-pong to win was the best choice;  sadly, those were not born booers.  Sounds like they were merely looking for straight answers, and she could have easily turned those boos into wild cheers.

If those boo's were a sign of things to come in this election, Hillary had better get back to the planning table.  The Clinton Machine is as performance ready as any in history, and keeps up to the minute.   Maybe that is where the problem lies.  They have misread the sheeple, and continue to operate on previous plans made when everybody was to afraid to boo.