Author Topic: Map of hate crimes  (Read 6552 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Map of hate crimes
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 11:57:25 PM »
Far as I know, most a those rednecks must have had kids and grandkids.  And I think the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.  If the ways of the fathers had brought down some kind of cataclysm on the entire society, as for example happened in Germany and Japan, then the next generation might well have realized the error of their parents' ways and turned away from them decisively, particularly since they were present as a new society had to be rebuilt from the ashes.  However in the absence of any such catastrophe, I think it's only natural that racist psychos will breed more racist psychos.  Like father, like son.  Only, thanks to the Voting Rights and Civil Rights Act, imposed upon them by "outside" forces, i.e. the evil Federal Government, they have learned to speak in a different way in public.  But the underlying human nature doesn't change all that much from one generation to the next.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 12:16:35 AM »
Yada, yada, yada.

You got assumptions based on 40 year old observations. I got recent practical experience.

Far as I'm concerned, you're full of shit. You just can't see it because of your prejudices.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 12:29:36 AM »
Wonder who has the most relevant experience?

I live in the South, have pretty much all my life. I've seen the changes from the 60's to now. Sure, there are still racists around, just as there are up north, and even in Canada. I know, I've done a bit of traveling in my time too. And I'll tell you flat out, if Tee thinks the problem is so much worse here than anywhere else, he's full of crap. Maybe he should get out more often.

By the way, heard they found some more nooses the other day - in Michigan. Not in the Yewpee, though, so I guess they were racist southern Michiganers.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 12:34:46 AM »
Last time I checked, there was no system of Government within the Third Reich to allow such, much less prosecute.  Care to prove otherwise?
=================================================

Well, you see, that is exactly the point, isn't it?
You can't say there were no hate crimes simply because none were reported.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 12:48:40 AM »
So it's just a coincidence that the South produces leaders like Trent Lott and George Allen?    Everyone else thinks the same but covers it up better?  Hillary's just like them?  Joe Biden is?  Edward Kennedy?  I don't think it's a coincidence at all.

<<You got assumptions based on 40 year old observations. I got recent practical experience.>>

Personal observations, a ton of reading and a simple knowledge of human nature.  Your practical experience is probably with a bunch of transplanted yuppies and a handful of relatively progressive Southerners.  I saw the real thing.  It wasn't one bad guy here and one bad guy there.  It was a whole world of bad guys everywhere.  That stuff doesn't die out in a generation.

<<Far as I'm concerned, you're full of shit. You just can't see it because of your prejudices.>>

If you think they gave up a racism as deeply ingrained as it was, all over the past 50 years, you're a bigger fool than I thought.  You're  just living in a dream world.  My so-called prejudices are nothing but simple knowledge of human nature and something none of you right-wingers will ever acquire, which is realism and common sense.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 01:05:34 AM »
Last time I checked, there was no system of Government within the Third Reich to allow such, much less prosecute.  Care to prove otherwise?
=================================================
Well, you see, that is exactly the point, isn't it?

Yea, that we do.

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 01:06:29 AM »
<<Well, you see, that is exactly the point, isn't it?
<<You can't say there were no hate crimes [in the Third Reich] simply because none were reported.>>

Oh, they were reported alright.  Even made it to the floor of the U.S. Senate.

http://www.ajcarchives.org/AJC_DATA/Files/THR-18.PDF

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 11:13:21 AM »
Your practical experience is probably with a bunch of transplanted yuppies and a handful of relatively progressive Southerners.  I saw the real thing.

More assumptions. And, as usual for you, these assumptions are incorrect.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 11:32:44 AM »
The assumptions that I made weren't crucial to the argument.  My argument is based on my knowledge and experience.  I know what I saw.  I know what I read in the books and papers and saw on TV.  I know what I heard from visitors.  I made an educated guess as to the type of Southerners you met.  Guessing never is 100% accurate, it's by definition hit-and-miss.  And I make no apologies when I miss.  If you'll notice, I prefaced my guess (or as you call it, my assumption) with the word "probably," which actually allows for the possibility of error.  You say my guess missed the mark.  I say, BFD.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2007, 11:43:31 AM »
Your practical experience is probably with a bunch of transplanted yuppies and a handful of relatively progressive Southerners. 

More assumptions. And, as usual for you, these assumptions are incorrect.

Must fit his template
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2007, 11:50:40 AM »
EVERYONE'S got a template, sirs.  Call it a POV, worldview, Weltanschauung or whatever, it's kind of hard to reach the age of maturity without one.  I know yours like the back of my hand.  It's all fucked up and wrong.  Mine, OTOH, is a pretty clear representation of what the world's really like.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2007, 11:58:54 AM »
Mine, OTOH, is a pretty clear representation of what the world's really like.

Yeah, full of hate and prejudice.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2007, 12:23:03 PM »
<<Yeah, full of hate and prejudice.>>

No, actually it's full of peace and love.  Those wars that you see on your TV screens?  They aren't really happening.  The Holocaust?  Just a myth.  Trent Lott and his supporters don't REALLY think the world woulda bin better if Strom Thurmond had been elected President.  Trent's a guy with a great sense of humour, he was practicing his stand-up routine.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2007, 12:40:54 PM »
EVERYONE'S got a template, sirs

MOST everyone, at least those with a rational mind, also can be objective, and can admit when they're wrong, when faced with overwhelming evidence to the contrary of that template.  You would not be one of those.  a "POV" as you referenced, can me modified with updated expereinces and facts.  A "template', especially in your case, is where you have made an absolute forgone conclusion, and nothing, absolutely NOTHING is going to dent that position, regardless of any facts to the contrary.  Nothing, what-so-ever

I know yours like the back of my hand.  It's all fucked up and wrong.  Mine, OTOH, is a pretty clear representation of what the world's really like.

LOL....And there'd be a perfect example, thank you very much
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 12:46:13 PM by sirs »

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2007, 12:46:47 PM »
Well, I thought it was pretty funny.  I loved writing that line.  It was true AND funny at the same time.