Author Topic: She said it  (Read 4223 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: She said it
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 12:56:35 AM »
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,650196500,00.html

Plane, I got an error message when I clicked on that link in your post.

By the way,   this wasn't regarding politics.  Rice was talking about the Iraq war, and yes, we were promised that people will shower us with candy and rose petals, it would all  be paid for by Iraqi oil money, and we'd be out in 6 weeks. 

We were promised this by who?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 01:14:47 AM »
Let's see...Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld, and Rumsfeld, in order, I think. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2006, 01:19:46 AM »
Are you saying Rumsfeld said we would be out of Iraq in 6 weeks?

Do you have an actual quote in context?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2006, 01:33:36 AM »
washingtonpost.com
Upbeat Tone Ended With War
Officials' Forecasts Are Questioned

By Dana Milbank
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, March 29, 2003; Page A01

The moment the first shots were fired last week in the war against Iraq, the Bush administration pivoted sharply to dampen public expectations of the military operation.

In the months preceding the war, President Bush was largely silent on the subject of the conflict's cost, duration and dangers, while key administration officials and advisers presented upbeat forecasts. Vice President Cheney, for example, predicted Iraqi President Saddam Hussein's troops would "step aside" and that the conflict would be "weeks rather than months," a phrase repeated by other top officials. Others in advisory roles in the administration predicted Iraqi soldiers would "throw in the towel" and Hussein would collapse like "a house of cards" -- phrases senior administration officials often echoed in private.

But when Bush announced the war on March 19, he offered a warning that has been echoed throughout the administration in the 10 days since: "A campaign on the harsh terrain of a nation as large as California could be longer and more difficult than some predict." Speaking to veterans yesterday, he warned again that "the fierce fighting currently underway will demand further courage and further sacrifice."

That assessment, combined with unexpected resistance facing coalition forces in Iraq, has produced a torrent of questions in recent days about whether the White House played down the costs of the conflict until it was underway. According to a new CBS News poll, 55 percent of Americans say the country underestimated Iraqi resistance, while 37 percent disagree.

Bush administration officials say it is far too early to dismiss the upbeat predictions. Indeed, just as early doubts about progress in Kosovo and Afghanistan were dispelled, Hussein's government could still collapse within weeks, and Iraqis could celebrate the U.S. "liberation" of their country.

Administration officials now say they were frank about the dangers all along. But in the months leading up to the war, top administration officials offered a number of forecasts that accentuated the positive.

On CBS's "Face the Nation" on March 16, Cheney said the fight would be "weeks rather than months. There's always the possibility of complications that you can't anticipate, but I have great confidence in our troops." Cheney also predicted the fight would "go relatively quickly, but we can't count on that." That same day on NBC's "Meet the Press," Cheney said, "I think things have gotten so bad inside Iraq, from the standpoint of the Iraqi people, my belief is we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators." It was then he predicted that the regular Iraqi soldiers would not "put up such a struggle," and that even "significant elements of the Republican Guard . . . are likely to step aside." Asked if Americans are prepared for a "long, costly and bloody battle," Cheney replied: "Well, I don't think it's likely to unfold that way. . . . The read we get on the people of Iraq is there is no question but what they want to the get rid of Saddam Hussein, and they will welcome as liberators the United States when we come to do that." Cheney has spoken that way for months.

In September 2002, he said that "you always plan for the worst," but he also said, "I don't think it would be that tough a fight; that is, I don't think there's any question that we would prevail." In a speech in August, he cited a scholar's view that "the streets in Basra and Baghdad are sure to erupt in joy in the same way the throngs in Kabul greeted the Americans."
[]
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A44801-2003Mar28?language=printer
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.