Author Topic: doh! i forgot -happy thanksgiving everybody  (Read 2036 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
doh! i forgot -happy thanksgiving everybody
« on: November 21, 2007, 03:09:22 PM »
happy turkey day!!

I`ll be trying to keep as much money as possible in my wallet this friday
and I will succumb to the Tryptophan coma

save room for the stuffing
stove top is actually quite good

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: doh! i forgot -happy thanksgiving everybody
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 03:25:58 PM »
How do you stuff Spam?

Have a great Thanksgiving, Kimba.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 04:19:23 PM »
How do you stuff Spam?

I could tell ya, but then I'd have to shoot you      8)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 05:05:27 PM »
Happy T-Day, Y'all.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 06:10:18 PM »
A Happy Turkey Day to all.

A Taiwanese friend has invited me to join him at a Taiwanese Association TG dinner at a buffet restaurant. There will be a raffle, some turkey, and a multitude of other dishes, many of them recognizeable.

My friend has married a girl from the Mainland, and says that since this organization is a "Deep Green", and believes in Taiwanese Independence, that he feels his wife (who has no real opinions regarding Taiwanese independence) will not be welcome. I don't understand Taiwanese politics, but I imagine he does and this makes sense to him.

He wants to go this year, because he has already paid his dues, but says that he wil drop out of the organization next year on account of his opinion that his Mainlander wife would be unwelcome.

It has always seemed to me logical that if a majority of Taiwanese favor being independent, they should be able to officially be an independent nation. After all, Taiwan has not been ruled by anyone on the Mainland since the times of the Empress Dowager (1895), when it was taken over by the Japanese. In theory, Taiwan is just a province of the Republic of China. But in reality, it is an independent state that most other countries consider a part of the Mainland, not becaue of logic or fairness so much as the fact that the People's Republic has so much power and so many people.

Alaskan independence or Puerto Rican independence would be okay with me, if the people of Alaska or Puerto Rico chose to be independent.

Small independent democratic nations are much more well-behaved than large ones, regardless of their politics. The worst thing that Sweden has ever done to the world is to make it more pleasant to get bombed on Absolut Vodka, and to spend the whole night dancing in a goofy disco manner to the tunes of Abba.

The Swiss have overloaded us with watches, and caused us to bloat on their chocolate. But neither has started any wars for 400 years.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Richpo64

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 06:45:18 PM »
>>Happy T-Day, Y'all.<<

You celebrate Thanksgiving Brass? Who do you give thanks to? Yourself?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 06:49:18 PM »
taiwan/china situation is not a staright forward thing

taiwan is a incredible economic force the very reason china is not giving it up
taiwan has 100% employment -meaning they are in dire need of cheap labor to function
china is the answer to that.
it`ll be a very long time for this to be resolved
if ever
have fun at the banquet
pace yourself
sharkfin soupis delicious

Cynthia

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 08:20:44 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, all.

Cynthia

yellow_crane

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 09:20:49 PM »
>>Happy T-Day, Y'all.<<

Not me.   I give thanks to the Puritans, who tortured and slaughtered their hosts in order to, you know, purify them.

yellow_crane

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 09:56:42 PM »
A Happy Turkey Day to all.

A Taiwanese friend has invited me to join him at a Taiwanese Association TG dinner at a buffet restaurant. There will be a raffle, some turkey, and a multitude of other dishes, many of them recognizeable.

My friend has married a girl from the Mainland, and says that since this organization is a "Deep Green", and believes in Taiwanese Independence, that he feels his wife (who has no real opinions regarding Taiwanese independence) will not be welcome. I don't understand Taiwanese politics, but I imagine he does and this makes sense to him.

He wants to go this year, because he has already paid his dues, but says that he wil drop out of the organization next year on account of his opinion that his Mainlander wife would be unwelcome.

It has always seemed to me logical that if a majority of Taiwanese favor being independent, they should be able to officially be an independent nation. After all, Taiwan has not been ruled by anyone on the Mainland since the times of the Empress Dowager (1895), when it was taken over by the Japanese. In theory, Taiwan is just a province of the Republic of China. But in reality, it is an independent state that most other countries consider a part of the Mainland, not becaue of logic or fairness so much as the fact that the People's Republic has so much power and so many people.

Alaskan independence or Puerto Rican independence would be okay with me, if the people of Alaska or Puerto Rico chose to be independent.

Small independent democratic nations are much more well-behaved than large ones, regardless of their politics. The worst thing that Sweden has ever done to the world is to make it more pleasant to get bombed on Absolut Vodka, and to spend the whole night dancing in a goofy disco manner to the tunes of Abba.

The Swiss have overloaded us with watches, and caused us to bloat on their chocolate. But neither has started any wars for 400 years.

Then again, when one sits back and watches the behavior of the disposessed, those from the Mainland and those booted to Miami, they seem to possess and exhibit a degree of arrogance and elitist intolerance that exceeds that of the lion's share of the citizens of the new country they are lucky enough to find a safe landing in.

Gore pointed out that while most Americans have been led to think that the Puritans came to America to escape religious persecution, what actually happened was that your average European got sick and tired of the Puritan finger-pointing and other forms of religious intolerance and forced them to deport because they were always persecuting somebody.

Imagine the who's who promenading behavior of upper level Halliburton at Dubai.  Coarsened by Deuche cowboy gauche, but still sterling elitism.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 12:08:51 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Cynthia

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 12:49:22 AM »
>>Happy T-Day, Y'all.<<

Not me.   I give thanks to the Puritans, who tortured and slaughtered their hosts in order to, you know, purify them.

I would hate to see what's on your dinner table. You're missing a great meal, Yellow.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 08:23:44 AM »
I would hate to see what's on your dinner table.

Mostly tofu, I'm sure.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 08:34:59 AM »
Gore pointed out that while most Americans have been led to think that the Puritans came to America to escape religious persecution, what actually happened was that your average European got sick and tired of the Puritan finger-pointing and other forms of religious intolerance and forced them to deport because they were always persecuting somebody.

=====================================================
Do you mean Al Gore or Gore Vidal?  This sounds more like Vidal than Al Gore.
The story I heard was that the Puritans, who left England to settle in Holland, felt forced to leave because they were afraid that their descendents would turn into tolerant little Dutchmen, which would have been a likely occurrence.

The US did not began celebrating TG as any sort of national holiday until after the Civil War. Before that it was a Massachusetts holiday. The first English settlers came to North Carolina in the late 1500's, but ran away to join the Indians, apparently. The next bunch were the hapless settlers of Jamestown, VA, in 1607, which was founded, not as a religious haven, but as a profit-making venture that incidentally, didn't actually turn a profit.

Not the sort of thing to celebrate as a proper start for a successful colony.
The Swedes were in Delaware in 1607, and the Dutch in NY by 1625.

We tend to celebrate the Massachusetts Pilgrims more, because Boston became more successful than Jamestown, and of course, the South did lose the Civil War.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Richpo64

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 11:36:25 PM »
>>Not me.   I give thanks to the Puritans, who tortured and slaughtered their hosts in order to, you know, purify them.<<

This may be true on the planet you live on, but here on Earth such a statement is laughable.