Author Topic: A Short Course in Brain Surgery  (Read 5807 times)

Richpo64

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A Short Course in Brain Surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 09:32:49 PM »
In 2006, 10,942 Americans went to Canada, compared with 9,262 in 2005 and 5,828 in 2000, according to a survey by the Association for Canadian Studies....

http://drhelen.blogspot.com/2007/08/number-of-americans-moving-to-canada-in.html

Richpo64

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 11:59:02 PM »
Good riddance. Do liberals going North negate the story I posted?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 01:20:02 AM »
Good riddance. Do liberals going North negate the story I posted?

Related indirectly.

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 02:40:38 AM »
"Those who are coming have the highest level of education ? these aren't people who can't get a job in the states," he says. "They're coming because many of them don't like the politics, the Iraq War and the security situation in the U.S. By comparison, Canada is a tension-free place. People feel safer."

One recent immigrant is Tom Kertes, a 34-year-old labor organizer who moved from Seattle to Toronto in April.

That's hilarious! We have people like labor organizers fleeing the US for Canada, while people like doctors and IT professionals are fleeing Canada for the US, and we're supposed to regard this as bad news?

Kertes, who moved with his partner, is happy in his new home. "Canada is a really nice country. My mother is thinking about it. My stepfather has diabetes and has health issues. So, he'd be taken care of for free if he moved up here."

"For free", eh? Well, if Canada doesn't have a problem with attracting our parasites, I have no problem with their leaving! Good riddance!
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 07:21:05 AM »
uhm
just saw the vid
true it`s bad
but the points is
it cost 28k
mortgage a home ???
notice on this issue the talk about how expensive healthcare is is hardly talled about

cat scans is 4k
a er stay is 5k

don`t forget if that man was american with a HMO he would probly still not get the test.
MRI`s are expensive and doctor don`t have that much of a say on what test to give.
healthcare is crumbling in canada ,but that`s because it`s expensive

no one is talking about loweingr cost.

Richpo64

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 12:47:04 PM »
>>Related indirectly.<<

Really? It doesn't even address the charges made by the Canadians in my post.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 02:24:46 PM »
Canadians and Americans have chosen to ration healthcare in different ways.

Canadians declare that everyone has a right to decent healthcare, but scanners and surgery are expensive and scarce, so people have to wait. Every Canadian from Yellowknife to Halifax gets care for free, but they have to wait. This fellow could have waited and probably everything would have turned out OK, but HE MIGHT have had type four whatsiosis, and in the rare event that he did, he's be dead before he got cared for.

Americans basically say that everyone has a right that can pay huge amounts of money for healthcare, so those that cannot raise $28,000 can crawl off and die somewhere.

The moral of the story is that you can get excellent heathcare for free most of the time in Canada, but in a few cases, you get to do what Americans do: pay through the nose.

Most people in Canada (and everywhere else) do not have critical conditions, and those people are better off.

If this guy had lived in Buffalo instead of Ontario, he would still have had to pay $28,000, and he would have been totally unable to sue anyone at all. He would have definitely been screwed.

But since he lived in Canada, there is a good chance that he can get the provincial government to pick up the tab.

So he is BETTER OFF in Ontario then Buffalo, any way you look at it.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 02:33:21 PM »
here`s a question
for a mcdonald`s employee which country is better off to get a MRI?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 02:53:14 PM »
here`s a question
for a mcdonald`s employee which country is better off to get a MRI?
=================================================
A McDonald's employee would be better paid in Canada, because the minimum wage is higher.
I doubt that a McDonald's employee would have $4000 for an MRI, so in the US he'd do without. I don't think any bank would lend $4000 for an MRI. Perhaps a judicious number of credit cards might work, followed by a declaration of bankruptcy.

In Canada, he'd just wait. Eventually, he'd get his MRI if his doctor recommended it.

Eventually, in four months, is far better than 'never'.

Canada 1, USA, 0

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 03:05:37 PM »
I doubt that a McDonald's employee would have $4000 for an MRI, so in the US he'd do without.

Unless he had insurance.

Contrary to what Kimba says, HMOs will pay for an MRI if the treating physicians orders it.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 03:12:14 PM »
Mickey D doesn't offer affordable health insurance to most of its workers. If you are over 65, you could get an HMO with Part B of Medicare for $96.40 a month, payable three months at a time, soon to go up another $6 or $7 per month.

Perhaps a professor of Catsupology ay Hamburger University, or maybe Mayor McCheese himself makes that much, but not the average minimum wage burgerflipper, who probably makes even less than the Hamburglar.

In Canada, all the burgerflippers are insured by virtue of being Ontarians first and burgerflippers second.

Richpo64

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 03:29:52 PM »
>>for a mcdonald`s employee which country is better off to get a MRI?<<

In America, I'm sure the McDonald's employee's parents have insurance so unlike Canada he/she wouldn't have to wait 8 weeks.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 03:31:57 PM »
Mickey D doesn't offer affordable health insurance to most of its workers.

I guess you'll have to define "affordable health insurance." Most of the "burger flippers" as you term them are high school students who are covered under their parent's health care plans. Most of the adults are higher up, and get significantly more pay.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 03:43:08 PM »
actually I don`t think many high school kids do MC d`s
I was in college when I did it and all my co-worker are college to middle-age.