Author Topic: Sears is helping our soldiers  (Read 619 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sears is helping our soldiers
« on: November 29, 2007, 12:40:38 PM »
Sears - Christmas shopping has already started

I know I needed this reminder since Sears isn't always my first choice. Amazing when you think of how long the war in Iraq has lasted and they haven't withdrawn from their commitment. Could we each buy at least one thing at Sears this year?

How does Sears treat its employees who are called up for military duty?  By law, they are required to hold their jobs open and available, but nothing more. Usually, people take a big pay cut and lose benefits as a result of being called up.

Sears is voluntarily paying the difference in salaries and maintaining all benefits, including medical insurance and bonus programs, for all called up reservist employees for up to two years.

I submit that Sears is an exemplary corporate citizen and should be recognized for its contribution. I suggest we all shop at Sears, and be sure to find a manager to tell them why we are there so the company gets the positive reinforcement it well deserves.

Pass it on.

Decided to check this before I sent it forward. So I sent the following e-mail to the Sears Customer Service Department:

I received this e-mail and I would like to know if it is true. If it is, the Internet may have just become one very good source of advertisement for your company. I know I would go out of my way to buy products from Sears instead of another store for a like item, even if it's cheaper at that store.

This is their answer to my e-mail:

Dear Customer:

Thank you for contacting Sears.The information is factual. We appreciate your positive feedback.

Sears regards service to our country as one of greatest sacrifices our young men and women can make. We are happy to do our part to lessen the burden they bear at this time.

Bill Thorn
Sears Customer Care
webcenter@sears.com
1-800-349-4358

Please pass this on to all your friends. Sears needs to be recognized for this outstanding contribution and we need to show them as Americans, we do appreciate what they are doing for our military!!!

It's Verified ! By Snopes.com

Not only is this a great thing, but Sears also just kicked off a Holiday fundraiser to grant wishes to military families:

Sears customers will be able to turn their shopping into dreams come true for military families and veterans. In celebration of Veterans Day, the retailer will launch a fund-raising effort in stores and online to benefit Heroes at Home, a charitable program created in association with the nation's leading non-profit home rehabilitation organization, Rebuilding Together.

Through Heroes at Home, the retailer seeks to improve the lives of military families and veterans in need across America by making necessary repairs, improvements or modifications to their homes.

From November 9 through December 28, Sears customers will be able to participate in this initiative by using their Sears card or purchasing a Sears gift card. Sears will make a donation to Heroes at Home for every credit card purchase made at any of its Sears stores from November 9 to December 28 up to $1 million, and for every gift card purchased during that time up to $100,000.

Customers can also make a donation at registers or online at sears.com. Over the summer, Heroes at Home raised more than $1.3 million, which will go to help more than 100 military families in need across America by making necessary repairs, improvements or modifications to their homes.

"We are proud to be partnering with Rebuilding Together to support families through this important initiative," said Alywin B. Lewis, chief executive officer and president of Sears Holdings Corporation. "Sears has a longstanding commitment to the heroic men and women who serve in the military. We hope our customers will take this opportunity to help grant wishes for military families and veterans while they shop our stores."

The Veteran's Day Heroes at Home effort will kick off on November 9 during an event to honor Sgt. Jonathan VanderWert of New Prague, Minn. In order to save money, the VanderWerts moved into a dilapidated home in need of major repair and remodeling with their nine children. However, in August of 2007, their plans to fix the home were put on hold when Sgt. VanderWert was called into active duty with the Minnesota National Guard to serve a 15 month tour in Iraq.

Many of the rooms in the home are missing walls and ceilings, there are exposed electrical wires, and only one bathroom is functioning. Heroes at Home will repair the basic structure of the VanderWerts' home by finishing bathrooms and all bedrooms on the second floor, repairing all exposed wiring, painting bedrooms, and upgrading the kitchen.

"When we work together, we build new hope in the lives of others," said Gary A. Officer, President and CEO of Rebuilding Together. "Through its partnership with its customers, Sears demonstrates how extraordinary things can be done for our veterans and service members and their families who have sacrificed for us."

Extreme Makeover's Paige Hemmis will honor military families by joining Heroes at Home to rebuild and repair homes. "Our military works hard to serve and protect us overseas," says Hemmis, "and I feel delighted that I can give back by granting wishes to these heroes and their families this Veterans Day."

Sears Holdings' ongoing commitment to assisting troops and their families includes several recruiting and employment programs. The company offers a military pay differential to employees serving in the armed forces. Additionally, reservists who are employed full-time are allowed to continue participating in life insurance, medical and dental programs.

Rebuilding Together is the nation's largest nonprofit organization working to preserve homeownership and neighborhoods by providing rehabilitation services free of charge to those in need. Through the support of corporate sponsors, local businesses, and the hands-on work of a quarter-million volunteers, Rebuilding Together rehabs and repairs more than 9000 homes each year. The market value of this work is in excess of $100 million annually. In addition to its core home repair work, Rebuilding Together rehabs community centers and conducts home modification and repair programs that focus on elder home safety, energy efficiency, veterans housing, and disaster recovery and reconstruction. Rebuilding Together has grown to 225 affiliates nationwide since its founding in 1988, and is now preserving safe and healthy homes in 1800 communities nationwide.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/sears.asp
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Sears is helping our soldiers
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 11:03:36 PM »
I'm very glad to know this, CU4.   Thank you and good for Sears!
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.