Author Topic: On self defense  (Read 4447 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
On self defense
« on: December 05, 2007, 09:01:22 AM »
The Ideal Self-Defense Weapon
by Charley Reese

People who believe in gun control are ignorant, superstitious or stupid. Violence is not caused by inanimate objects. Criminals, by definition, do not obey laws, including gun-control laws. Therefore, the only accomplishment of gun-control laws is to assure the criminals that their victims will be unarmed.

When the state of Florida was considering a law allowing honest citizens to carry concealed weapons, my liberal colleagues at the newspaper became virtually hysterical. They were certain the murder rate would skyrocket and that there would be shootings on every street corner and at supermarket checkout counters. The law was passed, and the murder rate did not skyrocket. Nor did hundreds of thousands of Floridians apply for concealed-weapon permits. After all, lugging around a pound or so of iron is inconvenient.

What their hysteria revealed, however, was how far removed from reality elitists are. How could any sane person imagine that his fellow citizens would suddenly go berserk if they had access to a firearm? It shows you what low opinion elitists have of their fellow man.

Having been born in the Deep South by the grace of God and having lived in the South, by choice, my whole life, I have lived among people who had access to firearms. In the South, there is a cultural rule: Never insult a man you are not prepared to fight, and never fight a man you are not prepared to kill. Southerners, unlike people in some parts of the country, all have lines they do not allow other people to cross.

I have been blessed to live with such people. I guarantee you that Southerners would not stand around and watch some criminal murder a woman, as happened in an infamous case in New York City.

On one of my visits to Georgia, I heard a local newscast about a man who attempted to rob a store and was captured by the store's customers. The news story said police planned to charge the man "as soon as he is released from the hospital."

Another point to consider about gun control is that no criminal attacks an innocent person in the presence of the police. Even if the victim can get to a telephone, he has to deal with the criminal until the police arrive. So ask yourself: How do you plan to deal with a violent criminal? The best thing to do is shoot the villain.

A friend of mine, a South Korean tae kwon do master and a former member of South Korean intelligence, was laughing one day about kung fu schools, which teach students the use of the broadsword and the halberd.

"Who is going to walk around carrying a broadsword?" he said. "Besides, if your life is in danger, use a gun."

Some years ago, a store owner in Texas, after several burglaries, decided to sleep in the store and eventually killed two armed burglars who broke in.

"Now I know what a conservative is," the store owner said. "He's a liberal who's been robbed one damned time too many."

The gun is the ideal self-defense weapon. It can be wielded by a woman, a child, an elderly person or even an invalid. There was an old saying in the American West: "God created men, but Sam Colt made them equal."

The Supreme Court is about to decide an issue based on the Second Amendment. God only knows how the court will rule, but the Bill of Rights is crystal-clear. It guarantees the people, not the states or the militias, the right to keep and bear arms. Let's hope the Supreme Court justices understand plain English.

December 3, 2007
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: On self defense
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 11:26:57 AM »
Here....here.  Sharp post, right on the mark    8)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 11:55:06 AM »
 In the South, there is a cultural rule: Never insult a man you are not prepared to fight, and never fight a man you are not prepared to kill. Southerners, unlike people in some parts of the country, all have lines they do not allow other people to cross. >

isn`t the n-word used freely in the south?

-------------------------------
Now I know what a conservative is," the store owner said. "He's a liberal who's been robbed one damned time too many." >

the complete phrase would finished with a liberal is a conservative who got  arrested

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 03:37:21 PM »

No.

Unless you're black, then yes.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 04:48:30 PM »
In the South, there is a cultural rule: Never insult a man you are not prepared to fight, and never fight a man you are not prepared to kill. Southerners, unlike people in some parts of the country, all have lines they do not allow other people to cross. >

-------------------------------
Now I know what a conservative is," the store owner said. "He's a liberal who's been robbed one damned time too many." >

the complete phrase would finished with a liberal is a conservative who got  arrested

Not in my experience.
This is one of the things that has improved during my lifetime.

I used to hear it more than  I do , it has moved from being a common word to one used only with family to one used rarely even within the family.

Who is this a victory for?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 05:02:50 PM »
I saw this on real world new orleans i think
the girl freaked that it`s used there
quite traumatized
the man who said it meant it as a funny word for a bird,but just didn`t work that way.
my friends who visit there says everybody says it
it`s simply tolerated by black folks there.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 05:33:16 PM »
<<isn`t the n-word used freely in the south?>>

It's the "m-word" now - - macaca.

"Never insult a man you aren't prepared to fight."

Does that include hanging nooses from trees that a man likes to shelter under?  And kinda leaves one wondering, exactly WHO did James Byrd Jr. insult?

yellow_crane

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 08:46:34 PM »

lol

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 06:33:20 AM »
WHO did James Byrd Jr. insult?

That incident was very likely not Mr. Byrd's falt at all , his kilers belong on death row , in a region where death penaltys get carried out.

Like Texas. 

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 07:06:52 AM »
Executing the murderers is a good thing, but kinda like locking the barn door after the horse is stolen.  Better would be to prevent the murder in the first place because the execution won't bring the victim back or ease the pain of his or her survivors.

Texas, for example, probably has one of the most deadly rates of violent crime of any industrialized society.  I think you have to look at the cult of violence and death that envelopes the U.S.A. today, from the "President" on down and is particularly thick in the South and in Texas with their worship of violence and militarism, their racism and their violence-breeding indifference to the plight of others, and ask how does a concealed-carry law fit into this death cult, and whether in the long run it's bound to increase or decrease the number of murders and violent assaults in that unfortunate little corner of the world.

Just this past week there was a case - - I believe also in the South, maybe even in Texas - - where a householder saw burglars emerging from his neighbour's house, called the cops but then as the burglars were attempting to get away, ran outside and killed both of them.  Now call me a liberal if you will, but I do think a death penalty for burglary is kind of extreme, and I don't think that just any citizen should be allowed to pronounce it and execute it at his own whim.  In all likelihood the property was insured or should have been, so we have here two human lives taken away without any reflection or consideration, to spare a neighbour the time and effort required to fill out a proof-of-loss form for his insurance company.  Don't say much about the value your society places upon human life, now, does it?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 07:23:34 AM »
Executing the murderers is a good thing, but kinda like locking the barn door after the horse is stolen.  Better would be to prevent the murder in the first place because the execution won't bring the victim back or ease the pain of his or her survivors.

Texas, for example, probably has one of the most deadly rates of violent crime of any industrialized society.  I think you have to look at the cult of violence and death that envelopes the U.S.A. today, from the "President" on down and is particularly thick in the South and in Texas with their worship of violence and militarism, their racism and their violence-breeding indifference to the plight of others, and ask how does a concealed-carry law fit into this death cult, and whether in the long run it's bound to increase or decrease the number of murders and violent assaults in that unfortunate little corner of the world.

Just this past week there was a case - - I believe also in the South, maybe even in Texas - - where a householder saw burglars emerging from his neighbour's house, called the cops but then as the burglars were attempting to get away, ran outside and killed both of them.  Now call me a liberal if you will, but I do think a death penalty for burglary is kind of extreme, and I don't think that just any citizen should be allowed to pronounce it and execute it at his own whim.  In all likelihood the property was insured or should have been, so we have here two human lives taken away without any reflection or consideration, to spare a neighbour the time and effort required to fill out a proof-of-loss form for his insurance company.  Don't say much about the value your society places upon human life, now, does it?

"Better would be to prevent the murder in the first place......."

Exactly ! please refer to the essay at the top of this thread where effective means for preventing this sort of thing in the first place is discussed.
If Mr. Byrd had managed to shoot his assailants crippleing one and killing the other rather than what really happened, we would never   have known how badly those two were going to  treat Mr. Byrd .

We have the benefit of hindsight now to regret that Mr Byrd was not armed or accompanyed by Texas Rangers on that day , but we have no time machine to access the time before the incident with a preventive measure. If we did, I can imagine that even you would favor handing Mr Byrd a shotgun through the time portal.

The past is not accessable , but he future is , what can someone who is like Mr. Byrd ,but presently alive , do that would " prevent the murder in the first place"?
Perhaps become armed?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 07:26:18 AM »

Those burgulars would have been wise to surrender to the armed man , but if they were wise they would not likely be burgulars.
If a policeman had seen the burgulary going on what would you expect the policeman to do?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 12:52:35 PM »
Let us assume for just a moment, that the kid who went apesh*t in that mall on Omaha could not have purchased am assault rifle, but only an ordinary rifle suitable for defending himself against rabid, crazed jackrabbits, that would have required him to cock it before each shot.

What are the odds that more people would be alive today?

Aren't they lucky that he did not have expert military training, though?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 02:20:07 PM »
<<Those burgulars would have been wise to surrender to the armed man , but if they were wise they would not likely be burgulars.>>

I don't get it.  Was the householder executing them for burglarizing a  home or for failing to surrender or for general lack of wisdom?

<<If a policeman had seen the burgulary going on what would you expect the policeman to do?>>

I dunno.  Radio for backup?  Tell them to freeze while he's got 'em covered?  It's something they must have covered at the Academy, hopefully.  One thing I would definitely NOT have expected would be for the cop to decide that he's their judge, jury and executioner.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 02:21:34 PM »
what about the issue of the parents possibly shooting thier own kids at night by mistake
how is it impossible for a parent to mistakenly shoot their young child for going tp the bathroom at night.
I`ve heard several parents state this is the reason they don`t have a gun in the house.
are those parent considered traitors for not taking the risks?
a gun is there to kill (nobody is taught to wound)an intruder,but it`s hard to tell a clumsy kid from an intruder at night.
it`s not exactly easy to teach a 5 year old to be quite at night.