Author Topic: On self defense  (Read 4449 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: On self defense
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2007, 11:06:49 AM »
Lookit, if it is as you say, that there was no change in the number of crimes when Florida decided to let everyone pack heat, then by definition this accomplished nothing.

He said the rate did not go up. That is not the same as saying it was unchanged.

In Florida, the rate did indeed go down.

So, something was accomplished.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2007, 01:51:26 PM »
the crime rate going down is not much of a indicator unless it continues in a ten year span.
any new idea works at the beggining it`s the test of  time that show if it works.
my town just got a super serious anti-gang program and it`s show super fast results.
but the downside is it has a habit of arresting people who simply known the wrong people.
no rule or policy is rarely perfect first time out the gate.
hope this program last it`s the first time in awhile people are not afraid to walk down the street in those areas.
until it`s made to be self-modifying I doubt it`ll be permanent
all laws are open to abuse otherwise

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2007, 05:07:31 PM »
The theoy that fewer guns would result in fewer murders seems to have almost no supporting evidence , it is merely an intuitive deduction , my intuition is exactly opposite to yours and seems to have an easy time finding facts that are supporting.

==========================================================================

Lookit, if it is as you say, that there was no change in the number of crimes when Florida decided to let everyone pack heat, then by definition this accomplished nothing.

If that were what I had said ,then we would be in agreement that Conceiled carry is harmless.

But no, actually I beleive that having Conceiled wepons in responsible hands is an improvement and States that feature this have had improvement in violent crime rates compared to the same state before the measure.

Many of the gun related injurys reported in our country are wounds inflicted by police , would disarming the Police nessacerily reduce the number of gun injurys?

Richpo64

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2007, 05:18:21 PM »
>>But no, actually I beleive that having Conceiled wepons in responsible hands is an improvement and States that feature this have had improvement in violent crime rates compared to the same state before the measure.<<

I plan on getting a concealed carry permit when we move to Florida. The positives have always been obvious, and recent events have born that out.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2007, 05:33:26 PM »
the crime rate going down is not much of a indicator unless it continues in a ten year span.
any new idea works at the beggining it`s the test of  time that show if it works.
my town just got a super serious anti-gang program and it`s show super fast results.
but the downside is it has a habit of arresting people who simply known the wrong people.
no rule or policy is rarely perfect first time out the gate.
hope this program last it`s the first time in awhile people are not afraid to walk down the street in those areas.
until it`s made to be self-modifying I doubt it`ll be permanent
all laws are open to abuse otherwise

Is thos program popular in the neighborhoods where it is being used?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2007, 06:52:49 PM »
yes and no
those that get arrrested while taking a shower don`t like it(that actually happened)
those that finally don`t get shot loves it.
definately needs improvement.
but it does work
but if anybody gets killed it will disappear,as it should

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2007, 11:39:11 PM »

If I disremember correctly, it's been about that long since the concealed carry law in Florida went into effect.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2007, 12:07:22 AM »
than it`s good for that area
my town tries to legalized prostitution because it worked so well in nevada.
but the problem just because it works there ,doesn`t mean it`ll work here.
I never had a problem with peoples right to own guns.
but as a person who works with the public I simply have a very low opinion of my fellow man to believe everone is capable to own one.
note the gun supporter paint a picture of a gunowner is a super responsible person.
I`m just stating not everybody is.
I`m talking from experience here
It`s scarey who made it.
I never like how easy it was for me to get my gun permit.
I juist believe people should earn the right .
at least a 2day class
that should help weedout most of the flakes

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2007, 12:42:52 AM »
note the gun supporter paint a picture of a gunowner is a super responsible person.
I`m just stating not everybody is.

Ahem....and I think you'll be hardpressed to find many "gun supporters" who believe everyone is as well.  In fact, I've already been on record indicating I've come across some folks, who really should have no business handling, much less owning a firearm. 

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2007, 12:45:39 AM »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle