Author Topic: Top ten things Americans think about Mike Huckabee  (Read 6244 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Top ten things Americans think about Mike Huckabee
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2007, 07:47:19 AM »
<<This also reminds me of Presdent Bush and the flack he caught for refuseing to listen to the plea of a condemmed woman. He might have made the right decision after all (though attaching a moment of levity to it is still inappropriate).>>

I don't think anyone but the professional anti-capital punishment crowd criticized the execution of Karla Faye Tucker.  What was despicable was that Bush mocked her pleas for leniency and made fun of her voice pleading.  People don't like to kick an underdog when he or she is already down.  Goes against the grain.

<<Texas govenors lost the power to commute sentences when one of them was found to be selling them. Is this a power that Govenors should have?>>

Yeah, that's a residuum of the royal prerogative that the sovereign exercised as parens patriae, the father of his country (i.e. the father of his subjects.)  Selling it to the highest bidder is a no-no.  IMHO it deserves the death penalty.  In China, they get it.

ZoSo

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2007, 09:59:38 AM »

11. Most noted accomplishment as Governor of Arkansas: Not his successful efforts in freeing a convicted rapist but his  pardoning of Rolling Stone Keith Richards.

And the funny thing is, people said to me afterwards, 'Governor, you'll do that for Keith Richards, but you wouldn't do that for an ordinary person.' And my answer to that is always, 'Hey, if you can play guitar like Keith Richards, I'll consider pardoning you, too.'?"

President Huckabee?

Not in a neocon asswipes wettest dream.

ZoSo

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2007, 10:04:35 AM »
Matt Taibbi on Mike Huckabee, Our Favorite Right-Wing Nut Job

Matt TaibbiPosted Nov 14, 2007 8:40 AM

MIKE HUCKABEE, THE LATEST IT GIRL OF THE Republican presidential race, tells a hell of a story. Let your guard down anywhere near the former Arkansas governor and he'll pod you, Body Snatchers-style ? you'll wake up drooling, your brain gone, riding a back seat on the bandwagon that suddenly has him charging toward the lead in the GOP race.

It almost happened to me a few months ago at a fund-raiser in Great Falls, Virginia. I'd come to get my first up-close glimpse of the man Arkansans call Huck, about whom I knew very little ? beyond the fact that he was far behind in the polls and was said to be very religious. In an impromptu address to a small crowd, Huckabee muttered some stay-the-course nonsense about Iraq and then, when he was finished, sought me out, apparently having been briefed beforehand that Rolling Stone was in the house.

"I'm glad you're here," he told me. "I finally get to tell someone who cares about Keith Richards."

Before I could respond, Huckabee plowed into a long and very entertaining story ? one that included a surprisingly dead-on Pirates of the Caribbean-esque impersonation ? about how Richards and Ron Wood got pulled over for reckless driving while on tour in Fordyce, Arkansas, a million and a half years ago, in 1975. Richards ended up getting a misdemeanor conviction ? an injustice that stood for thirty-one years, until Huckabee, a would-be rock musician himself, stepped in and pardoned Richards last year.

"It's a long process, pardoning," Huckabee said, placing a hand on my shoulder. "It takes a lot of paperwork. And the funny thing is, people said to me afterwards, 'Governor, you'll do that for Keith Richards, but you wouldn't do that for an ordinary person.' And my answer to that is always, 'Hey, if you can play guitar like Keith Richards, I'll consider pardoning you, too.'?"

Huckabee, who in recent years has lost 100 pounds, has the roundish, half-deflated physique of an ex-fatty. With his button nose and never-waning smile, he looks slightly unreal, like an oversize Muppet. I was so taken aback by his appearance that I checked his hands to make sure they had the right number of fingers. After the Richards tale, he went on to tell me about the band he plays bass for, and how he has jammed with the likes of Percy Sledge and Grand Funk Railroad, and how he prefers John Entwistle to Flea's slap-and-pop style of bass-playing. Ten minutes later, driving away from the fund-raiser, I caught myself thinking: Hey, this guy doesn't seem like a total dickhead. I can almost see him as president. . . .

Then I woke up and did some homework that changed my mind. But I confess: It took a little while. Huckabee is that good.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/17324246/matt_taibbi_on_mike_huckabee_our_favorite_rightwing_nut_job

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2007, 10:45:41 AM »
I think Huckabee must have realized that "I pardoned Keith Richards" would have to be good for a few million votes somewhere down the line.  It was a no-brainer, all up-side, little if any down-side.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2007, 10:48:53 AM »
Huckabee must be making up some serious ground     ;)

Just what I was thinking, Sirs. Once he gets to be a "serious" candidate. the vultures come out.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2007, 10:51:01 AM »

11. Most noted accomplishment as Governor of Arkansas: Not his successful efforts in freeing a convicted rapist but his  pardoning of Rolling Stone Keith Richards.

And the funny thing is, people said to me afterwards, 'Governor, you'll do that for Keith Richards, but you wouldn't do that for an ordinary person.' And my answer to that is always, 'Hey, if you can play guitar like Keith Richards, I'll consider pardoning you, too.'?"

President Huckabee?

Not in a neocon asswipes wettest dream.

Ah, another liberal. Welcome!
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2007, 12:45:51 PM »
Pardoning Keith Richards is not any sort of major issue.
It ranks right up there with Barak Obama wanting to be president at the age of eight.

Unless someone was hurt, I can't see calling reckless driving a misdemeanor violation, but all rock musicians are not the safest of drivers.

Do we really want a preacher, a Southern Baptist preacher, in the White House?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2007, 04:12:26 PM »

Just what I was thinking, Sirs. Once he gets to be a "serious" candidate. the vultures come out.

Maybe you could explain why conservatives would want to put a politician nicknamed "Tax-Hike Mike" and endorsed by the NEA in the White House?
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2007, 05:20:18 PM »
<<Maybe you could explain why conservatives would want to put a politician nicknamed "Tax-Hike Mike" and endorsed by the NEA in the White House?>>

Because he's not Hillary?
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2007, 05:39:39 PM »

Maybe you could explain why conservatives would want to put a politician nicknamed "Tax-Hike Mike" and endorsed by the NEA in the White House?

Surely you jest! Bush's tax cuts are absurd -- there is simply not enough money coming in and/or we are spending like crazy and not only in Iraq. We need a fiscally responsible politician who is also conservative on social issues, and that, R.R., is a rare bird in this neocon age. Look, the last time I voted Democrat in the Presidential race was Jimmy Carter, but in my view, Bush has NOT done us any favors by spending willy-nilly and getting us involved in absurd entanglements like Iraq. And, if I am any indication, the Dems will have a field day come next November. As it stands now, it just ain't even gonna be close, dude!

Huckabee may not be perfect but the man has got it all over Guiliani in character and is more conservative throughout. Just because Guiliani did a great job in post-9/11 NYC does not automatically make him good presidential material. I learned that in Jimmy Carter. He thought he would be a good president since he was governor of Georgia. Well, guess what? Running the United States is a heckuva lot different than running the state of Georgia. Folks like Bert Lance, arrrgh! Huckabee suffers form this same problem, but I simply do nto see another conservative around as good. Romney? Too polished. I aks you, what is really going on there? Do you know? Does anyone other than his handlers and the Elders?
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2007, 06:21:52 PM »

Surely you jest! Bush's tax cuts are absurd -- there is simply not enough money coming in and/or we are spending like crazy and not only in Iraq. We need a fiscally responsible politician who is also conservative on social issues, and that, R.R., is a rare bird in this neocon age. Look, the last time I voted Democrat in the Presidential race was Jimmy Carter, but in my view, Bush has NOT done us any favors by spending willy-nilly and getting us involved in absurd entanglements like Iraq. And, if I am any indication, the Dems will have a field day come next November. As it stands now, it just ain't even gonna be close, dude!

Huckabee may not be perfect but the man has got it all over Guiliani in character and is more conservative throughout. Just because Guiliani did a great job in post-9/11 NYC does not automatically make him good presidential material. I learned that in Jimmy Carter. He thought he would be a good president since he was governor of Georgia. Well, guess what? Running the United States is a heckuva lot different than running the state of Georgia. Folks like Bert Lance, arrrgh! Huckabee suffers form this same problem, but I simply do nto see another conservative around as good. Romney? Too polished. I aks you, what is really going on there? Do you know? Does anyone other than his handlers and the Elders?

Why do you thnk that taxes are presently too low?

What is the right amount that the economic strength of the country should be reduced by taxation?

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2007, 06:33:59 PM »

Of all the adjectives that might be used to describe Mr. Huckabee's no doubt sterling qualities, "fiscally responsible" wouldn't have occurred to me. His track record says he spends like a sailor.

Huckabee may not be perfect but the man has got it all over Guiliani in character and is more conservative throughout.

I am not particularly a shill for Guiliani, but he's not the worst possible choice. Whatever one might think of his character and ideology, he at least has a track record of being a competent executive. 

What definition of "conservative" are you using? Seems to me Huckabee's track record says he's anything but.

Just because Guiliani did a great job in post-9/11 NYC does not automatically make him good presidential material. I learned that in Jimmy Carter. He thought he would be a good president since he was governor of Georgia. Well, guess what? Running the United States is a heckuva lot different than running the state of Georgia. Folks like Bert Lance, arrrgh!

I agree that being a successful governor does not necessarily translate to a successful presidency. But the way I hear it, Carter wasn't even a particularly effective governor.

Huckabee suffers form this same problem, but I simply do nto see another conservative around as good. Romney? Too polished. I aks you, what is really going on there? Do you know? Does anyone other than his handlers and the Elders?

What's wrong with polished in a president? As to who knows what's going on, I'll point out that Romney has been endorsed by Paul Weyrich, who is no idiot, and would have been unlikely to have lent his endorsement without some assurances.

Further, in terms of executive experience, Romney probably has the strongest resume of any candidate in either party. If we're going to get stuck with socialized health-care, I'd rather it was architected by an astute fiscal manager like Romney than a tax-and-spend populist like Huckabee.
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2007, 11:40:14 PM »

Why do you thnk that taxes are presently too low?

What is the right amount that the economic strength of the country should be reduced by taxation?

It shouldn't be rocket science. Figure out a sensible budget (Yeah, I know!) and then have a tax base to support that budget.
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2007, 11:44:09 PM »

Of all the adjectives that might be used to describe Mr. Huckabee's no doubt sterling qualities, "fiscally responsible" wouldn't have occurred to me. His track record says he spends like a sailor.

Huckabee may not be perfect but the man has got it all over Guiliani in character and is more conservative throughout.

I am not particularly a shill for Guiliani, but he's not the worst possible choice. Whatever one might think of his character and ideology, he at least has a track record of being a competent executive. 

What definition of "conservative" are you using? Seems to me Huckabee's track record says he's anything but.

Just because Guiliani did a great job in post-9/11 NYC does not automatically make him good presidential material. I learned that in Jimmy Carter. He thought he would be a good president since he was governor of Georgia. Well, guess what? Running the United States is a heckuva lot different than running the state of Georgia. Folks like Bert Lance, arrrgh!

I agree that being a successful governor does not necessarily translate to a successful presidency. But the way I hear it, Carter wasn't even a particularly effective governor.

Huckabee suffers form this same problem, but I simply do nto see another conservative around as good. Romney? Too polished. I aks you, what is really going on there? Do you know? Does anyone other than his handlers and the Elders?

What's wrong with polished in a president? As to who knows what's going on, I'll point out that Romney has been endorsed by Paul Weyrich, who is no idiot, and would have been unlikely to have lent his endorsement without some assurances.

Further, in terms of executive experience, Romney probably has the strongest resume of any candidate in either party. If we're going to get stuck with socialized health-care, I'd rather it was architected by an astute fiscal manager like Romney than a tax-and-spend populist like Huckabee.

Perhaps I need to know more about Huckabee, if what you say is true. And, Romney is TOO polished. I am having difficulty getting to "know" the real Romney and that bothers me. Justifiably so. Would I vote for him over Hillary? Sure. From what little I know now. But then, I would probably vote for a rock over Hillary Clinton.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 08:06:36 PM by The_Professor »
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2007, 11:55:30 PM »
We need a fiscally responsible politician who is also conservative on social issues, and that, R.R., is a rare bird in this neocon age.

Hey!

That wasn't me.

I happen to like Huckabee. I would like to see a Rudy/Huckabee ticket to form an actual conservative.

It's unfortunate that we need two candidates to make a whole conservative, but it doesn't really matter.