Author Topic: GOP Can Learn from Ron Paul  (Read 26159 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: GOP Can Learn from Ron Paul
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 12:28:05 PM »
You are ever mistaken. The point of opening donations to people who live overseas is to allow U.S. citizens who live outside the country to donate. Sheesh.

=======================================
So Ron is going to give back any money if received from, say a Shao-Lin monastery, Argentine ex-Nazis or Putin's ex-wife? My guess is no.

The guy is not electable. This is a waste of money, in my opinion. I am not saying that people do not have the right to donate, but they are dumb.

Of course, I suppose that the fact that Paul wants the US to stop meddling in the Middle East and wants the troops out of Iraq NOW does send a positive message to the rest of the presidential hopefuls.

I would prefer Dennis Kucinich as a more worthy lost cause.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 01:26:06 PM »

The Libertarian Surprise: Ron Paul

Sunday, December 16, 2007; A24

It is hard to say what the turning point was, when Rep. Ron Paul, the elfin libertarian from Texas with the penchant for lonely stands in the Congressional Record, became Ron Paul, beacon to disaffected Americans and accidental instigator of one of the more memorable grass-roots campaigns in history.

It may have been around the time that Paul stood up to Rudolph W. Giuliani. At a May debate, the former New York mayor interrupted a discourse by Paul on how the Republican Party had been led astray by an interventionist foreign policy that had, among other things, helped set the stage for the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Giuliani, full of outrage, condemned the notion that "we invited the attack" and asked Paul to "withdraw that comment."

The crowd roared, but Paul held firm as he explained "blowback": "They don't come here to attack us because we're rich and we're free," he said. "They come and they attack us because we're over there."

The exchange encapsulated the Paul phenomenon: He is willing to say things rarely uttered in polite company, much less in GOP establishment circles. Many of his arguments have nonetheless found enough support in a demoralized GOP Party that his rivals have not been able to ignore him. When challenged, Paul, 72, has held his ground, thereby providing inspiration to scattered legions who have organized an uprising on his behalf.

Describing this motley army is no easy task. There are (among many others) Taft Republicans wary of foreign entanglements, currency skeptics pining for the gold standard, constitutional literalists who see federal overreach at every turn, parents opposed to mandatory mental-health screenings in school, young folks utterly alienated from politics who see in a grandfatherly obstetrician the candor they crave.

Likewise, the forms that the uprising have taken are too many to number. There are the coordinated online assaults on Internet polls and political reporters who dare slight Dr. Paul; the printing press in New Hampshire owned by a Paul supporter that has churned out tens of thousands of fliers to distribute around the country; the one-day "money bomb" that shattered a record by bringing in more than $4 million. And the blimp, emblazoned with Paul's name, that is being flown to Boston for another "money bomb" commemorating the Boston Tea Party today.

Where will it all end? Many supporters hope Paul will run as an independent next fall. Paul has ruled that out, saying he remains focused only on the primaries, where he is poised to leave a serious mark. He has enough money -- and prospects for more -- that he could stay in the picture long into the nominating season. And he's threatening to break double digits in the New Hampshire primary, where he could embarrass other candidates, including Giuliani.

Asked to predict his New Hampshire showing in a recent interview, Paul smiled. "I think we'll do well," he said.

[Full coverage of Ron Paul on washingtonpost.com]

-- Alec MacGillis

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/15/AR2007121501314.html?referrer=emailarticle
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »

So Ron is going to give back any money if received from, say a Shao-Lin monastery, Argentine ex-Nazis or Putin's ex-wife? My guess is no.

So, you would prevent U.S. citizens from donating to a candidate of their choice just make sure Shaolin monks are not unduely influencing Ron Paul? You're funny.

The guy is not electable. This is a waste of money, in my opinion. I am not saying that people do not have the right to donate, but they are dumb.

No, they are not. The "dumb" ones are the ones who set aside principles to vote for the "electable" candidate. And then of course end up with a "lesser of two evils" candidate who does not reflect their beliefs and whose only redeeming value is that he is not some other person. Now that is stupid. As wiser folks than I have pointed out, voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for evil.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 08:19:10 PM »
I did not say VOTING for someone you agree with is dumb, I said going apesh*t on donating to said candidate is somewhat dumb. First, I don't think that more money is likely to bring him many more votes, because what he has are people who respond to what he says, rather than those idiotic 30-second spots that candidates buy with their donations. People who react emotionally are most prone to obey this sort of commercial, and they are more likely to vote for Giulani the fear merchant or Huckabee the Bible thumper. But I do not question anyone's right to send him money, even Shaolin monks

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 08:25:36 PM »

I did not say...

I know exactly what you said.

First, I don't think that more money is likely to bring him many more votes, because what he has are people who respond to what he says, rather than those idiotic 30-second spots that candidates buy with their donations.

Of course, having more money allows him to communicate with more people. So it just might get him more votes.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2007, 09:42:26 PM »
If he has enough money he becomes a serious canadate.

We have inadvertantly made the skill of money collection a critical skill in the choice of president.

Perhaps this is a good test to submit them to, perhaps it is a sort of voteing ahead of the poll.

Religious Dick

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 02:58:22 AM »

Ron Paul Raises $6 Million in One Day

2007-12-17 07:12:38 -

- Ron Paul 2008 Presidential Campaign Committee Jesse Benton, 703-248-9115 Congressman Ron Paul's presidential campaign had a record fundraising day yesterday.

In a 24-hour period on December 16, the campaign raised $6.026 million dollars, surpassing the one-day record of $5.7 million held by John Kerry.

During the day, over 58,000 people contributed to Dr. Paul's campaign, including 24,940 first-time donors. Over 118,000 Americans have donated to the campaign in the fourth quarter.

The $6 million one-day total means the campaign has raised over $18 million this quarter, far exceeding its goal of $12 million.

"We have the right message: freedom, peace and prosperity," said Ron Paul 2008 campaign chairman Kent Snyder. "We also have the right candidate: Dr. Ron Paul."

Congressman Paul will be campaigning in Iowa today hold including a press conference at 12:45 pm at the Des Moines Marriott in the Des Moines Room.

Candidate Has Most Successful Fundraising Day in American
Political History

Press release: www.pr-inside.com
Kontaktinformation: e-mail

Disclaimer: If you have any questions regarding information in these press releases please contact the company added in the press release. Please do not contact pr-inside. We will not be able to assist you. PR-inside disclaims contents contained in this release.

http://www.pr-inside.com/ron-paul-raises-6-million-in-r350880.htm
-Sir Edmund Burke

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 03:16:52 AM »
"During the day, over 58,000 people contributed to Dr. Paul's campaign, including 24,940 first-time donors."

How many of those donations are being made with stolen credit cards? Paul's campaign has become a popular place to "test" credit cards.

Paul is still better than Hillary, though. 

Religious Dick

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 03:32:58 AM »
"During the day, over 58,000 people contributed to Dr. Paul's campaign, including 24,940 first-time donors."

How many of those donations are being made with stolen credit cards? Paul's campaign has become a popular place to "test" credit cards.

Paul is still better than Hillary, though. 

Better learn to love him quick!

Do I need to point out he's the only candidate the Pubies have that's bringing people into the party, rather than driving them to flee?

How many people are registering Republican because they're excited about  Huckabee or Giuliani or Romney or, heaven forfend, McCain?
-Sir Edmund Burke

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 04:42:45 AM »
Do I need to point out he's the only candidate the Pubies have that's bringing people into the party, rather than driving them to flee?

Paul is going to need more than 24,000 new voters to defeat Hillary Rotten Clinton.  That's not going to cut it.

How many people are registering Republican because they're excited about  Huckabee or Giuliani or Romney or, heaven forfend, McCain?

Elections are about turning out your base and pulling in independents. All 5 top GOP would do that against Hillary.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007, 08:11:28 AM »
Elections are about turning out your base and pulling in independents. All 5 top GOP would do that against Hillary.

========================================
In your dreams

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 08:27:25 AM »
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 11:23:39 AM »
If he has enough money he becomes a serious canadate.

We have inadvertantly made the skill of money collection a critical skill in the choice of president.

Perhaps this is a good test to submit them to, perhaps it is a sort of voteing ahead of the poll.
================================================================
It is not a good test, it pretty much guarantees that the candidate will be sold out to his fundraisers before he gets the nomination. It is a bad test, as it encourages corruption. Observe how fast Huckabee changed his mind about the useless Cuban embargo, which has not brought Castro down in 28 years. When he was governor of Arkansas and the Ark. farmers wanted to seel rice, he was against it. But now, he campaigns in Florida, and a veil is lifted from his eyes and he is all for it.

Ask Ex-Governor John Connoly of Texas how useful all his money was. He got just ONE VOTE for the nomination for millions spent.

Or how about Ross Perot? He has twenty bazillion dollars, and the media took his ever so seriously. He was actually allowed to debate the Big Two party candidates, which neither Buchanon not Nader was allowed to do. What effect did the Reform Party have? Zilch. Bupkiss.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 11:26:24 AM »
What effect did the Reform Party have? Zilch. Bupkiss.

Since most of the people who voted for Perot would most likely have voted for Bush, Perot's effect was to give the Presidency to Clinton.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2007, 02:47:51 PM »
Perot ran on an anti-Washington, anti- big spending platform.

Bill ran on an anti-Washington, anti Big Government platform.

Olebush was rather the epitome of big government in 1992.

Most of the Perotistas I know would not have voted at all, and have not voted since.
The few that did would have voted for Clinton.