Author Topic: Bush: [Weve Always Been the 'Cut and Run' Types]  (Read 22084 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bush: [Weve Always Been the 'Cut and Run' Types]
« on: October 23, 2006, 11:44:02 AM »
So, now, after months and months of you guys on the right saying that if you don't want to "STAY THE COURSE", then you want to "CUT AND RUN", here, your Moron-in-Chief now says that "Well, listen, we've never been "stay the course"". 

How far down into the bullshit will you guys follow this guy?  I'm sure RR and sirs will immediately defend Bush and try to split the difference but its plain and simple.  Over and over again he said that he (and the "nation") would "stay the course".  Now, he's saying "I never said that".  Will you guys finally realize that the jig is up?  Or will you now turn off the psychic circuit breaker and cross over into utter stupidity and defend Bush's statement?

I'm betting the latter.  Simply because you will not want us on the left to be correct that BushCo is full of lies and will lie no matter what.

Have a great day!

Bush: Well, listen, we’ve never been “Stay the course,” George
By: John Amato on Sunday, October 22nd, 2006 at 8:37 PM - PDT   
 George Bush appeared on THIS WEEK today (he's making the rounds before the election) and answered avoided a few questions about the Iraq war and his handling of it. Isn't it interesting that Stephanopoulos never followed up on Bush's sudden memory lock: "We've never been stay the course"?  I seem to remember him and his cultists repeating that mantra over and over again—so a follow-up question was needed, but as usual, forgotten.

Video-WMP Video-QT

BUSH:  Well, listen, we've never been "stay the course", George. We have been, "We will complete the mission, we will do our job and help achieve the goal, but we're constantly adjusting the tactics"…

Emailer Doug:

BUSH: We will stay the course. [8/30/06]

BUSH: We will stay the course, we will complete the job in Iraq. [8/4/05]

transcript below the fold

BUSH: We will stay the course until the job is done, Steve. And the
temptation is to try to get the President or somebody to put a timetable on
the definition of getting the job done. We’re just going to stay the
course. [12/15/03]

BUSH: And my message today to those in Iraq is: We’ll stay the course.
[4/13/04]

BUSH: And that’s why we’re going to stay the course in Iraq. And that’s
why when we say something in Iraq, we’re going to do it. [4/16/04]

BUSH: And so we’ve got tough action in Iraq. But we will stay the course. [4/5/04]

Full transcript of the segment:

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Bush: [Weve Always Been the 'Cut and Run' Types]
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 11:55:29 AM »
"We will complete the mission, we will do our job and help achieve the goal, but we're constantly adjusting the tactics"…

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 12:00:32 PM »
And your point?

There are numerous quotes of him saying "STAY THE COURSE."  Do you deny this?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 12:21:07 PM »
There are numerous quotes of him saying "STAY THE COURSE."  Do you deny this?

But the context of his statement is clear. There is difference between staying the course and cutting and running. And there has never been doubt that reacting to changing conditions on the ground was part of the course.

Not sure what the point of amato's post was but it seems to me that for someone like you who decries semantics and nitpicking , you and he are doing a bunch of it.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 12:54:06 PM »
Laughable.

He's been saying "Stay the course" forever.

Now, he's saying he didn't.

There's no semantics here.

And lest we forget, everyone who was against "Staying the course" was accused of "cutting and running".  Now Bush is laying the groundwork for doing exactly what the Dems and those of us who believe that the Iraq invasion was illegal have been calling for him to do all along: Get out of Iraq (which has been branded "cutting and running").

The invasion of Iraq has wasted the lives of 3000+ American soldiers and over half a million Iraqis.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 01:46:18 PM »
Laughable.  He's been saying "Stay the course" forever.  Now, he's saying he didn't.  There's no semantics here.
And lest we forget, everyone who was against "Staying the course" was accused of "cutting and running".  Now Bush is laying the groundwork for doing exactly what the Dems and those of us who believe that the Iraq invasion was illegal have been calling for him to do all along: Get out of Iraq (which has been branded "cutting and running").

Sure would be nice some day if you could actually reference & quote folks in context.  The folks who have in support of "staying the course" NEVER interpreted that as staying forever, no end in sight, no change to tactics what-so-ever.  That's made up AMBE by the folks who hate Bush with such venom, they can't see and more importantly think straight.  The goals has always been to leave, simply the how and when were what was fluid.  The criticisms of the "cut & run" ground are specific to those that advocate leaving no matter the circumstances that we'd be leaving in.  Bush isn't talking that, and YOU KNOW THAT.  But you have to play these mental semantic games to get your Bush bashing fix in, regardless of the context in which Bush and others have been making their statements
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 01:50:54 PM »
What are the goals?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 01:57:42 PM »
Now Bush is laying the groundwork for doing exactly what the Dems and those of us who believe that the Iraq invasion was illegal have been calling for him to do all along: Get out of Iraq (which has been branded "cutting and running").

And could you provide a quote where he says exactly that? Cutting and running has been defined as leaving Iraq at some arbitrary date certain. And no one including the President has said we would stay there forever.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 02:08:41 PM »
What are the goals?

Missed Iraq war 101?  The goals are
a) remove Saddam from power thus removing the WMD thread
b) for us to leave, when the new Democratic Iraq could handle their own security & defense measures and/or when the Iraqi Government tells us to leave. 

That's been the goal since the get go.  Where have you been?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 02:17:44 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 02:17:32 PM »
b) for us to leave, when the new Democratic Iraq could handle their own security & defense measures and/or when the Iraqi Government tells us to leave. 

That's been the goal since the get go.  Where have you been

And what does that have to do with the "War on Terror?"
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 02:42:15 PM »
As I prophecied.

You drank the Koolaid.  As usual.

Did he or did he not say that we would "Stay the course" and is now saying that he never was "stay the course"?

That is the point.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 02:59:31 PM »
No the point is you are taking a soundbite and claiming you have some massive change in story.

I know it and you should know it. The whole thread is just weak ass bullshit gotcha games.

Just because folks like Amato and those at think progress think honesty in debate is a fools game, there is no reason for you to follow suit.

Nail Bush on the real stuff. Someone as evil as he should give you plenty of genuine fodder.

This isn't it.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 03:05:05 PM »
That's been the goal since the get go.  Where have you been

And what does that have to do with the "War on Terror?"

Did you miss Goal a)?  You do know the WMD threat was in reference to his WMD getting offloaded to terrorists, right?  At no time was it in reference to Saddam trying to take out Chicago

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 03:19:25 PM »

This isn't it.

This IS it along with the other 300,000,000 things that he's lied about and tried to re-write history on.  Soon, he'll be claiming they never said there were WMD in Iraq.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 03:27:40 PM »
Like i said. This isn't it. And since you hung your hat on an out of context distortive quote, it still isn't it. Deal with it.

You disparage his credibility yet bring none of your own.