Author Topic: Rah, rah, Ron Paul?  (Read 8425 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rah, rah, Ron Paul?
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2007, 07:34:31 PM »
I thought Russert did an excellent interview. If Paul bitches about earmarks all the time, then he sneaks earmarks in, he definitely needs to be questioned on it.

On a scale of weaselness where Mith McConnell is a ten and at the top of the weaseliaity scale, Paul scored maybe a three.

But he has a whole bunch of policies that simply won't fly in ANY modern country. I didn't find him to be especially Christian. I mean, he did not advocate pagan sacrifices or speak of zodiac signs, and seems to be a typical non-religious old grandfather. I think whatever compassion he might have for people comes a lot more from his being a doctor than his attending Sunday school. Obviously, he has enjoyed scaring people with frightening Libertarian blather in the past, like returning to the gold standard, abolishing damned near the entire government, and such, but now that he is approaching a serious candidacy, he is backtracking like crazy with "no, not quiet abolition", "no, you don't understand", "no, I would make no abrupt changes" and statements like those.

It looks to me as though if he really doesn't like the nominee, he might just run as a Libertarian. Of course, this would not get him elected, and would likely reward the Democrats, so it's more of an ego thing from any pragmatic view.

Russert ought to grill each and every candidate at least this thoroughly
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2007, 08:59:53 PM »
I agree, he should grill each candidate, and each guest, for that matter, just as thoroughly as this.   But he doesn't.  He doesn't treat Bush and Cheney like that. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2007, 11:33:20 PM »

If Paul bitches about earmarks all the time, then he sneaks earmarks in, he definitely needs to be questioned on it.

Paul does not bitch about earmarks. At least, I never heard him do so.

But he has a whole bunch of policies that simply won't fly in ANY modern country. I didn't find him to be especially Christian. I mean, he did not advocate pagan sacrifices or speak of zodiac signs, and seems to be a typical non-religious old grandfather. I think whatever compassion he might have for people comes a lot more from his being a doctor than his attending Sunday school.

Or maybe he just believes his faith is his business and not yours. Just because Paul doesn't talk like Huckabee doesn't mean Paul isn't especially Christian.

Obviously, he has enjoyed scaring people with frightening Libertarian blather in the past, like returning to the gold standard, abolishing damned near the entire government, and such,

Why would that be scary? Oh, wait, I forgot for a second that some people can't imagine a life without ever growing government control.

but now that he is approaching a serious candidacy, he is backtracking like crazy with "no, not quiet abolition", "no, you don't understand", "no, I would make no abrupt changes" and statements like those.

He is not backtracking at all. He is saying pretty much the same things now he has said all along. Just because the media has only focused on the quick blurb like "return to the gold standard" or "eliminate the Department of Education" does not mean Paul is only now talking about doing so slowly. The man is not a fool. I don't believe he ever planned to institute all these changes the day after taking office. He knows what Congress is like and how the government functions, and so I'm pretty sure he has a good idea of what sort of struggle would be ahead of him. As I said before, cut the guy some slack already.

It looks to me as though if he really doesn't like the nominee, he might just run as a Libertarian. Of course, this would not get him elected, and would likely reward the Democrats, so it's more of an ego thing from any pragmatic view.

If it looks like that to you then you're not paying attention. Ron Paul has already said, numerous times, he will not run as a third party candidate, and has already turned down an official offer by the Libertarian Party to be their nominee.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2007, 12:28:05 AM »
If it looks like that to you then you're not paying attention. Ron Paul has already said, numerous times, he will not run as a third party candidate, and has already turned down an official offer by the Libertarian Party to be their nominee.

=======================================================
Ah, but I WAS paying attention. Here is what I did not hear.

Here is what you say to dispel all doubt.

"If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve."

Everyone KNOWS this is how you say it.

He did not say this, so if he really really doesn't like the Republican nominee, then he might run.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2007, 12:33:33 AM »

Ah, but I WAS paying attention. Here is what I did not hear.

Here is what you say to dispel all doubt.

"If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve."

Everyone KNOWS this is how you say it.

He did not say this, so if he really really doesn't like the Republican nominee, then he might run.

I'm not sure if that is funny or just stupid.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2007, 05:32:17 AM »
I can't remember a time when Tim Russert has ever questioned another Republican candidate as harshly as he questions Ron Paul here.  You'd think he never hosted a candidate who put earmarks in bills. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvuFdJXLaGg

He must have acquitted himself in a satisfactory manner. I notice he's collected another $500k in donations since yesterday. Somebody liked what they heard...
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2007, 06:27:20 AM »
He must have acquitted himself in a satisfactory manner. I notice he's collected another $500k in donations since yesterday. Somebody liked what they heard...

==============================
Not one cent, however, from me.

I do not bribe even those I like without some reason for doing so.

There is no reason at this time to buy a piece of Ron Paul.

It would be like buying spark plugs for my Diesel car.