Author Topic: Why so scared of Christmas?  (Read 76930 times)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Why so scared of Christmas?
« Reply #240 on: January 10, 2008, 02:11:14 PM »
Most of us are Christians , at least nominally , even if we disagre about the ideal way to worship and serve him. Since we are a majority what we say goes right? We should command our governent to decorate itself with  Christian symbols and perform charitable actions for the greater glory of Christ.

The problems are many.

(For some reason I've been in a numbering mood)

1. Each has to come to God in his or her own way.
2. I don't want your Christian symbols and I'm guessing that you don't want mine. Some Christians (like the Quakers) don't want any.
3. My point, which I expressed very rudely, was that something like posting the ten commandments is only a political and in-your-face gesture. It is controversial and in the end does nothing for anyone except create division and anger. Whereas, that time and effort could have been spent doing good.

My problem is that you all want the Government to do things, make no mistake about that. You want the Government to outlaw abortion. You want your state to execute certain criminals. You want this country to invade another nation. You may want it to build a wall to keep the poor of a neighboring nation from coming here. In those cases you have no problem with taxes being collected and applied to those purposes.

You can say that those have nothing to do with Christianity, but you and I both know that Christianity doesn't exist for an hour on Sunday morning then stop.

I don't recall Christ supporting any of those, especially when it gets to things like simulated drowning and electroshocking the genitals of prisoners. We pay for that too. Yet, I propose that we do more to help the poor and yes, I think that Christ would appreciate the effort (Matthew 25) and I am labeled as someone who "contorts Christianity to fit my ideologies."

I find that extremely interesting. I am distorting Christianity, but the "good Christians" support simulated drowning and electroshock of prisoners. They support "shock & awe" warfare. But hey, I've apparently been righteously condemned for my errors by Sirs. Lucky me.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #241 on: January 10, 2008, 02:42:50 PM »
 ::)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #242 on: January 11, 2008, 01:21:56 AM »
Ah, but by doing this, you practice one anyway. Voids are filled..

What religion is the golden rule?