Author Topic: People Against Lawsuit Abuse  (Read 886 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
People Against Lawsuit Abuse
« on: December 26, 2007, 09:01:42 PM »
I dunno, this absolutely moronic ad "People Against Lawsuit Abuse" ("Find the Power.  Stop the Abuse.") seems to pop up every time I turn on CNN.  Never heard of 'em and suddenly they're there after every fucking newscast.  Is this some kind of stealth campaign against Edwards?  (sleazy trial lawyer, lawsuit abuser, closer of playgrounds, poisoner of the American Dream?)  Why NOW?  Why on CNN?  Why the urgency?

If it's genuine and not an anti-Edwards ploy, it's hilarious.  The targets of "lawsuit abuse" (i.e. seriously injured folks seeking proper damages in a court of law from those who injured them) are of course Fortune 500 Companies, the insurance industry and the medical profession, all perfectly capable of mounting billion-dollar lobbying and PR campaigns on their own without the need of "grassroots" organizations except as window dressing helping to mask the real identities of the opponents of "lawsuit abuse."  Would any normal citizen of average intelligence ever sign up for this crusade?  I mean, what is the point?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: People Against Lawsuit Abuse
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 10:35:06 PM »
Michael, I never noticed it.  I bet it's all about pre-Iowa primary, and Edwards, as you pointed out.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 11:13:03 PM »
But Lanya, I'm getting this shit up here in Canada, so it must be coming from the national feed.   Are they willing to saturate the whole fucking country and Canada too just to clobber Edwards in Iowa or wherever the hell else he's running?  Why wouldn't they just run this crap in the local affiliates?

The other thing that just occurred to me - - no Democrat would attack the plaintiffs' bar, so this must be coming from Republicans.  They must be really scared of Edwards if they're willing to run up money like that just to whip him in the primaries.  If it IS a stealth attack on Edwards, then he's probably the best person for the job.  You can get the measure of the man by knowing who his enemies are. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 11:18:49 PM by Michael Tee »

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 11:22:41 PM »
Are they willing??
Are you kidding!?

If they have enough money, spread it on thick.  Iowa primary's in 8 days, then NH, etc.
This will be a hard-fought campaign.  Anyone left unbloodied probably didn't really want the job.  Sorry, that's a horrible way to look at it, but I do see it that way.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 11:32:33 PM »
My guess it is run by the US Chamber of Commerce, more main street than Fortune 500 and they probably need to spend the money by Dec 31 for accounting reasons.

Edwards isn't enough of a threat to waste that kind of money on a targeted ad.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 06:08:17 PM »
My guess it is run by the US Chamber of Commerce, more main street than Fortune 500 and they probably need to spend the money by Dec 31 for accounting reasons.

Edwards isn't enough of a threat to waste that kind of money on a targeted ad.

On the other hand , here are three top contenders , number one is wasting her political capitol trashing number two.

This shouldn't be interfered with.

Allowing the top two to wreck on on another is thrifty and effective , but number three is still there to throw mud at.