Author Topic: Uh oh....NOT good. Bhutto Assasinated  (Read 22243 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uh oh....NOT good. Bhutto Assasinated
« on: December 27, 2007, 11:46:54 AM »
Bhutto dies in suicide attack

FORMER Pakistani leader Benazir Bhutto has been killed in a gun and bomb attack.

At least 20 people were killed when the bomber struck after opposition leader Mrs Bhutto addressed a political rally, witnesses said.

It has been reported that Mrs Bhutto was shot in the neck and the chest before the bomber blew himself up.

Wasif Ali Khan, a member of Bhutto?s party who was at Rawalpindi General hospital, said Mrs Bhutto died at 6.16pm Pakistani time (1.16pm GMT)

Horror ... people remove bodies from the site of the explosion in Rawalpindi

Babar Awan, Bhutto?s lawyer, said: ?The surgeons confirmed that she has been martyred.?

A witness at the scene of the attack said he heard two shots moments before the blast.

?As party leaders, including Bhutto, started coming out a man tried to go close to them and then he fired some shots and blew himself up,? said a police officer, at the scene.

Foreign Secretary David Miliband today described the killing of Benazir Bhutto as a ?senseless attack?.

The death of the charismatic former prime minister threw the campaign for the January 8 election into chaos and created fears of mass protests and an eruption of violence across the volatile south Asian nation.

Next to President Pervez Musharraf, Bhutto, 54, was the best known political figure in the country, serving two terms as prime minister between 1988 and 1996.

The United States condemned the attack.

A US State Department official said: ?The attack shows that there are still those in Pakistan trying to undermine reconciliation and democratic development in Pakistan.?

Police said about 15 people had been killed in the blast.

Earlier, party officials said Bhutto was safe.

Body parts and flesh were scattered at the back gate of the Liaqat Bagh park, in Rawalpindi, where Bhutto had spoken.

Police official Abdul Karim had said Bhutto had already left the area in her vehicle when the blast went off, just minutes after her speech to thousands of supporters.

Another police official, Saud Aziz, said it was a suicide attack.

The road outside was stained with blood. People screamed for ambulances. Others gave water to the wounded lying in the street.

The clothing of some of the victims was shredded and people put party flags over their bodies.

Bhutto became the first female prime minister in the Muslim world when she was elected in 1988 at the age of 35.

She was deposed in 1990, re-elected in 1993, and ousted again in 1996 amid charges of corruption and mismanagement.

She said the charges were politically motivated but in 1999 chose to stay in exile rather than face them.

The United States has for months been encouraging President Pervez Musharraf to reach some kind of political accommodation with the opposition, particularly Bhutto, a former prime minister who is seen as having a wide base of support in the Southwest Asian nation.

Her party has been widely expected to do well in parliamentary elections set for next month.

Article

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Uh oh....NOT good. Bhutto Assasinated
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 11:57:59 AM »
Let's count the minutes, before those inflicted with BDS, start to imply that this is Bush's fault     :-\
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 12:10:27 PM »
This may very well destabilize a barely-stabilized nation with nuclear weaponry. Let's see how this plays out...
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 12:32:00 PM »
Bhutto dies in suicide attack

This is terribly sad. I loved everything about this woman.

My entire family is mourning her in Jordan, as they knew her personally. (My father-in-law was the Jordanian Ambassador to Pakistan when she was Prime Minister.)  :'(

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 12:39:48 PM »
What will this really mean, I wonder? Isn't this a coup for the radical fringe?
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 12:41:36 PM »
This may very well destabilize a barely-stabilized nation with nuclear weaponry. Let's see how this plays out...

=========================================================
Pakistan is not like the US, clearly. But it is stable in many ways the US is not.
It is an ancient civilization with a resistance to change that the US lacks.

Pakistan would be in truly bad shape if it were to nuke India. Everyone in Pakistan knows that india is huge and Pakistan is comparatively puny.

I am pretty sure we will see what happens no matter how it turns out. My guess is that the elections are likely to be postponed.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 12:43:38 PM »
Think of the assassinations of Garfield or McKinley, or even Kennedy or Lincoln. The assassins' causes did not win in any of these cases, did they?

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 12:44:18 PM »
What will this really mean, I wonder? Isn't this a coup for the radical fringe?

Pakistan's history has been one coup after another, and in itself any coup is radical. Most recently, Musharraf overthrew the former Primer Minister Sharif.

But as Bhutto wasn't Prime Minister again, this was not a coup.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 12:54:03 PM »
By "coup" I meant a "victory". Will this enbolden the radicals?
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 12:54:51 PM »
Perhaps this is more like the assassination of Robert F Kennedy or George Wallace, then.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 12:59:30 PM »

=========================================
Victory?

When has an assassination ever been a victory? I would say only when it involves the overthrowing of an unpopular leader, like Louis XVI, Ceauceascu or Mussolini.

I think this is a very long way from being a victory for the assassins. The radicals will likely be oppressed as a result. I think Mussharif will cause heads to roll. He can say all sorts of nice things about Bhutto, now that she is deceased. Alvaro Obregon had Pancho Villa killed, and then built a monument to him.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 01:18:30 PM »
This is horrible.

I have to say that my first thought was, who benefits?  And I see Musharraf.  Am I off base?
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 01:36:09 PM »
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 01:49:26 PM »
This is horrible.

I have to say that my first thought was, who benefits?  And I see Musharraf.  Am I off base?

That was my first thought, Lanya. But everything I am hearing and reading is saying that he would have benefitted greatly by sharing power with her, and might be damaged by her assasination.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 02:08:55 PM »

=========================================
Victory?

When has an assassination ever been a victory?

When Yitzhak Rabin was assasinated by that little right-wing twat and the people subsequently elected the right wing nutter Benjamin Netanyahu as Prime Minister. I'd count that as one of the most succesful political murders in history.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.