Author Topic: New Poll  (Read 12401 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Poll
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 12:59:36 PM »
<<Both you and Terra have said some pretty vile things to me in the past, but I don't remember either of you being banned for them.>>

Bullshit.  terra can speak for herself, but I never said anything to you that was vile or even close to the line. 

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 01:19:18 PM »

<<No, campaigns are handled to "handle" people.>>

"handle," "persuade," whatever.  You're just playing semantic games here.  The purpose of the campaign is to affect the outcome of the vote in a way favourable to the campaigner.  That is obvious.

<<Don't tell me you actually believe cmapaigns change a great number of votes.>>

As I understand the modern campaign, it's aimed at the so-called "swing vote" but it can't afford to make any mistakes that will cost it votes from either the core or the swing.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2007, 02:02:24 PM »
Bullshit.  terra can speak for herself, but I never said anything to you that was vile or even close to the line. 

I consider calling my family "Nazi sympathizers" - several times - to be over the line.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2007, 02:02:41 PM »
He has had a pretty good track record, you have to admit.

Since when? He has a history of going over the line, being banned, and being let back in later. For years.

Then there was the time a few months back when he advocated that I blow my son up with a suicide bomb.

Again, what good track record?

That said, and a bit in Rich's defense, he never pretends to be something he's not. And I think it might be kind of boring without him. How much fun is it to debate with people you agree with?

Cynthia

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2007, 02:16:57 PM »
He has had a pretty good track record, you have to admit.

Since when? He has a history of going over the line, being banned, and being let back in later. For years.

Then there was the time a few months back when he advocated that I blow my son up with a suicide bomb.

Again, what good track record?

That said, and a bit in Rich's defense, he never pretends to be something he's not. And I think it might be kind of boring without him. How much fun is it to debate with people you agree with?

Ooops...didn't know that, Henny.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2007, 02:17:48 PM »
Advocating blowing up your son is certainly over the line. Assuring, to the best of your ability, he is a Christian is indeed called for and entirely Scriptural. God holds us accountable for our actions regarding our children. But, it is YOUR business how you proceed. If that was the event of a few months ago, I left a while over it, I believe, since JS made the unilateral decision to not post all posts. Sic Semper Tyrannis!

You make a good point -- Rich provides a distinct point of view. It is entertaining to see it displayed. Plus, there are gems in what he says - sometimes. You just need to analyze what he says and not particularly how it says it. It is too easy to simply dismiss what is said without analyzing it.

Plus, as Plane has indicated over and over, we need a diverse range of views here.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 02:41:33 PM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2007, 03:06:29 PM »
Advocating blowing up your son is certainly over the line. Assuring, to the best of your ability, he is a Christian is indeed called for and entirely Scriptural. God holds us accountable for our actions regarding our children. But, it is YOUR business how you proceed. If that was the event of a few months ago, I left a while over it, I believe, since JS made the unilateral decision to not post all posts. Sic Semper Tyrannis!

You make a good point -- Rich provides a distinct point of view. It is entertaining to see it displayed. Plus, there are gems in what he says - sometimes. You just need to analyze what he says and not particularly how it says it. It is too easy to simply dismiss what is said without analyzing it.

Plus, as Plane has indicated over and over, we need a diverse range of views here.

Actually, this was a later episode. He did delete his own post but later defended it. And I don't disagree with you on the other points in the first paragraph, but all things said, I would never write a venomous post about Rich's children, and expected the same.

As for gems in what he says - is that something like shitting diamonds? LOL.

I don't always disagree with Rich, for the record. But his method of delivery is horrible and always has been.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2007, 03:24:08 PM »
"As for gems in what he says - is that something like shitting diamonds? LOL"

Well, I remember as a child going to a place in Arkansas, I believe, where you go out in a field and dig up dirt. Diamonds are naturally scattered there and people do occasionally get one or several.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 07:39:46 PM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Richpo64

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2007, 04:11:45 PM »
I'll save you cocksuckers the trouble.

Cynthia

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2007, 04:15:47 PM »
I'll save you cocksuckers the trouble.

Ahhh, I voted for a brief stay away.....but maybe he can't take the heat.

quacks like a duck,suppose.  ???

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2007, 07:40:34 PM »
I believe we made an error here, folks.
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2007, 07:46:59 PM »
What error is that?

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2007, 07:57:59 PM »
We essentially kicked out a contributing member, even if some of us didn't like his methodology, he still presented a viewpoint.

His comments to Terra were, well insensitive, but I have been called a lot of crap here as well over the time I have been involved. I usually end up retreating for a while and then coming back later. After all, not ALL of his posts were, well, over the top.

Do I need to go back and locate ones that were not over the top?
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2007, 08:08:56 PM »
No one kicked out anyone. Essentially or otherwise.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2007, 08:36:59 PM »
I am sorry, but you are incorrect, BT.

Rich left, or may leave,  due to the actions taken here -- this poll. Therefore, cause and effect.
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D