Author Topic: Happy New Year  (Read 3467 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Happy New Year
« on: January 01, 2008, 01:00:53 AM »
Hope yours is a good one.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 02:03:40 AM »
I hope yours is good, too, for everyone.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 02:39:37 AM »
Happy 2008 everyone!
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 10:35:59 AM »
I've been at my middle son's house all night playing Moods, Balderdash and Catch Phrase, intermittently watching Dick Clark (though I hate Ryan Seacrest) and drinking more than my limit of beer (Diet A & W Root, that is).  So fo rme it's going to be a Nappy New Year (and not the British definition of that word)!

To everyone else who has been, perhaps, not as wild and sinful as I tonight (and those who were) a Happy 2008.   

My predictions for 2008:

Mitt Romney gets the Republican nomination and in a surprise move, selects Barak Obama as his running mate in an attempt to create a bipartisan, interracial ticket.  The entire rightwing Evangelical block immediately expires of a collective attack of apoplexy.   Romney is unsuccessful in his attempt to get Oprah to make her December Book Club pick "The Book of Mormon."

Hillary Clinton attempts to counter this by inviting Condoleeza Rice to join her but withdraws the offer after hearing Bill Clinton humming the tune "Brown Sugar."  She settles for Joe Lieberman, figuring he's close enough to a Republican.

Osama bin Laden is captured entering the United States after mistakenly thinking that Romney has called HIM to be running mate. 

Early in the year, as the imminent Democratic landslide becomes apparent, Bush drops all pretense and renames Operation Iraqi Freedom "Haliburton presents Operation Iraqi Liberation (OIL)."

The Hillary-Lieberman ticket wins the election, after which Lieberman mysteriously "commits suicide" and Hillary appoints her husband, Bill, as Vice President (after first establishing that she gets first dibs on the interns).

After establishing the all-Clinton, all-the-time White House, Hillary abandons all pretense and renames the position of President of the United States "She Who Must Not Be Named" and redesignates her airplane "Air Force 666."

After Guiliani loses the nomination to Romney, the Patriots win the Superbowl and the Red Sox repeat as baseball champs, solidifying Boston as the sports dynasty city of the twenty first century.  New York promptly sues Boston for Divine Right infringment.

Michael Moore and Al Gore announce a new jointly-produced documentary called "You People Will Buy Anything So Why Not?" suggesting that the Republicans actually were behind 9-11, Pearl Harbor, the sinking of the Maine, the assassination of Lincoln, the destruction of the Knights Templar and the Fall of Man.  They are awarded a special new combined Oscar and Nobel Prize known as the "P.T.Barnum Achievement" award.

The Republican National Committee hastily announces the destruction of some "old records which no longer have any value as eviden . . . uh, historical documents."

Britney Spears gets in trouble with the law and it is reported as if it is actually news.  (I might as well throw in one sure thing.)

Happy New Year to all!

Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 12:44:24 PM »
Ditto        8)       2008 HAS to be better than 2007
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 01:19:03 PM »
Happy New Year to everyone, and Pooch, thanks for my first laugh of 2008.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 03:26:48 PM »
happy newyear everybody
I think we got 1 more year to change over to HD on our TV
it`s not gonna be smooth

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 03:42:29 PM »
happy newyear everybody  I think we got 1 more year to change over to HD on our TV  it`s not gonna be smooth

NO?  It should be Kimba.  As I mentioned earlier, you can get one of the newer model widescreen HDTV's, at a pretty low price of just under $1000, with the tuner already built in, and get crystal clear high def right thru your roof antenna.  No cable or satellite necessary   8)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 04:27:04 PM »

Really? When did this come about?

Last I heard, there was a mandated switch to digital service, NOT high definition. And most TV sets sold in the last 15 years already handle digital service.

(There are three levels of digital service, and high definition is the best in quality of the three. The mandate is for digital service, not "the best" digital service.)
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 04:29:59 PM »

...there was a mandated switch to digital service, NOT high definition. And most TV sets sold in the last 15 years already handle digital service.  (There are three levels of digital service, and high definition is the best in quality of the three. The mandate is for digital service, not "the best" digital service.)

Good clarification, Ami

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 01:02:36 AM »
what about the folks who don`t want to chuck they`re still working set for the more costly units?
it might work if converters are being sold are for less than $40
also it`ll still be rough
no portables will work
doubt anybody will bother making converters for the small tv`s
and it`ll most likely be awhile for the digital portables.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 11:37:29 AM »
what about the folks who don`t want to chuck they`re still working set for the more costly units?

I don't know of too many people that have "still working" TVs that are over 15 years old. And you can buy digital TVs for under $100, under $50 if you wait for a sale. It's not a major expense.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 11:38:32 AM »
no portables will work

All of this is untrue. As a matter of fact, I know of no portable TVs without a digital receiver.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 11:44:05 AM »
no portables will work

All of this is untrue. As a matter of fact, I know of no portable TVs without a digital receiver.

Best Buy, portable digital TV, under $120. link

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 11:45:13 AM »

The AC/DC/battery powered black and white portable we keep for emergencies is almost 30 years old, and has knob tuners for VHF and UHF. I doubt any part of it is digital.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016