Author Topic: What qualifies a person to be President of the United States?  (Read 5845 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What qualifies a person to be President of the United States?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 09:35:06 PM »
rice would be very interesting
seriously smart
and not particularly liked at all.
so she`ll have no problem doing anything unpopular.
if you notice no one is actually in her league.
I`ve always thought she`s been holding back.

Cynthia

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 11:25:41 PM »
Why is Condie Rice not liked?

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 11:57:31 PM »
Many blacks shoot their own -- their own success stories, that is, unless they are liberals.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 10:11:12 AM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 12:38:25 AM »
liberal is inaccurate
it`s more like people they cannot relate to.
her look and mannerism just not acceptable.
the liberal tag is way off
african americans only lean towrad liberal agenda only because it`s to thier advantage.
until conservatives actually do somethuing helpful,the vote are gonna be tough to get.
it`s kinda bad since being anti-gay and anti-immagrant should be a vote getter on all counts

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 01:47:31 AM »
Pooch,
Why do you have a little trouble being objective about him?
Is this evidence that religion can not really hide from under the skirt of politics?

I'm not sure what you mean by "hide from under the skirts of politics."  I assume you are trying to suggest that we cannot separate religion and politics.  If so, I agree. That is not my problem at all with Huckabee.  It's because of the bigotry of Evangelical Christians who refuse to vote for a Latter Day Saint simply because of his religious faith.  Huckabee would not be a viable candidate without those voters.  I have no problem admitting to my lack of objectivity - and trying to address it.  Since Evangelicals find it "Christian" to practice religious bigotry, I have difficulty taking Huckabee seriously.  Again, that may not be HIS fault, but rather the fault of those anti-Mormon voters.  If Huckabee is taking advantage of this dynamic, well, that's politics.  But because many of his voters are choosing him over Romney JUST because of religion, I cannot help but look at him with some skepticism.

I find the statement to be a bit off mark for someone who is politically savvy, Poochie.

Acknowleding difficulty in taking seriously a politician indicates a lack of political savvy?  If that's your premise, I disagree with it.  If I correctly interpret your previous metaphor and you think I am trying to say that religion and politics aren't related, then I do agree with you but I am not guilty the charge (as I don't believe that to be the case).  If you are simply suggesting that my acknowledging my own prejudices toward the man is not politically savvy, I think that's apples and oranges.  The ability to recognize where one's prejudices may come into play is something I consider to be a mark of maturity.  It is true that a politically savvy person would steer clear of such admissions, since they may be used against him, but I would prefer honestly to politically astute statements.  Of course, that's easy to say when one is not running for office. 

Do you have strong feelings about his politics?

Well, that depends.  I certainly appreciate his moral values, though they are in line with Mitt Romney's and a large portion of the Republican party.  I'm glad he is giving the Fair Tax a fair shake (pun intended).  But I find that inconsistent with his previous "Tax Hike Mike" reputation.  Still, people can change.   I find his stunt with the anti-Romney commercial to be cynical political ploy that backfired, and THAT makes me suspect him of a darker side. But, again, he's a politician.  OTOH I was impressed with his Christmas ad.  We need more people unafraid to invoke the name of Christ or at least remember that Christmas isn't pronounced "Hol-i-day."  My biggest problem with Huckabee as a candidate is that he is splitting the conservative vote (so far).  Social conservatives - especially Evangelicals - are likely to vote for him (except the ones voting for Romney who are not blinded by religious bigotry).  OTOH, fiscal conservatives are less likely to do so.  If Romney were not LDS he would be a very strong contender.  Consider that Huckster got 37% of the votes in Iowa and Romney 25.  That's more than half the vote between them from people attracted to "values" candidates.  Guliani and McCain have very little chance against Hillary or Barrack Obama, and I am not sure that Romney would either.  But Huckabee has very little chance outside of extremely conservative Bible Belt states - and Romney would be a strong candidate in those states were it not for his faith. 

Just a curious pup. Cyn

Well, though it has been established that curiosity can be fatal to felines, there is no evidence of a threat to canine health.  :D
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Stray Pooch

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 02:23:01 AM »
Cynthia, it turns out I missed something in your last post.  You said "Speaking of Mitt . . ."  I was actually speaking of Huckabee when I said I had a little trouble being objective about "him."  If you thought that I was saying I had trouble being objective about Mitt, that was not my claim.  Sometimes I use so many words in one sentence it is hard to figure out what the heck I'm talking about!  As to being objective about Mitt, well him sharing my faith IS a selling point, but I have also watched him for many years.  He very nearly defeated Ted Kennedy for the Massachusetts Senate seat several years ago.  Then he took over the Salt Lake Olympics and didn't do half bad.  Finally, he somehow managed to get elected Governor in one of the most Blue states in America.  The interesting thing is that Mitt's Mormonism was a subject that Massachusetts voters and media rejected as an issue from the start.  I was surprised, and rather happy, to see that. 

I was very impressed when Romney ordered all of the state employees to issue marriage licenses to gays when the SJC ruled in favor of gay marriage.  Obviously, I disapproved of the ruling (as Mitt would have, being LDS) but Mitt was obligated to enforce that law until and unless it could be overturned legally.  That reminded me of our Virginia governor, Tim Kaine (Dem), who signed death warrants as governor even though he was (as a matter of his faith) morally opposed to the death penalty.  I appreciate when candidates can see the importance of keeping their PERSONAL religious beliefs separate from their OFFICIAL duties.   So while my vote may be influenced by Mitt's faith, it is certainly not the deciding factor.  Harry Reid is LDS and I wouldn't vote for him if her offered me Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (and there isn't much I wouldn't do for THAT!)

Pooch,
I think you ask the question that, when it comes down to it, most parents and some teachers want answers for the youth in any generation.

I sometimes wonder, Cynthia.  I think a lot of parents, teachers and other leaders would rather vote for - and have their children ultimately vote for - the party candidate or the "cool" candidate, irrespective of qualifications.  My goal is to teach my kids to THINK, rather than vote blindly for a party or candidate.  I realize that risks them voting against what I believe, but I would rather them vote against me honestly after becoming informed than vote with me just because I think it's right.

Being adept at swimming with sharks is the only qualifying element I would require of today's politician.

I wish that were not true, but it is.

I would think that we need to start asking the question...how can we all help the system succeed after a leader has been selected.

OMG!  You mean support our leaders?  How last generation!  You are, of course, correct.  When I was in Key Club WAY back in HS, we had an understanding.  We would fight against each other until the issue or candidate was voted on but then once the decision was made GET WITH THE PROGRAM.   We had the same rule in the Army.  Tell the Commander why you object to his plan and offer alternative solutions but once the Old Man made a decision EVERYBODY gets behind it to make it work.  The problem with our country today is that campaigns are perpetual, politics trumps patriotism and power is best served by polarization.  We aren't like the Palestinians and Israelis, but we could stumble along that path without too much of a push.  I used to have supreme confidence in the ability of the Constitution to protect us from a meltdown, but I sometimes worry about that.
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Cynthia

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 10:03:32 PM »
Pooch,
I spent a great deal of time earlier today replying to your post.....and CLicK....PUSH THE wrong button...and it was gone!
Darn....and I had a lot to say.

So, here is it in a nutshell.

First of all, I have to say that I enjoy reading your posts after all these years. They are eloquent, and rich with personal expressions worth the read,indeed.

We all have our prejudices with regard to any given subject. My thought with your post, was .......that it seemed to me that you were making a broad decision about a given candidate based on his choice of religion, alone! Well, now I see that I was right and wrong.

Heck, we all make similar choices with regard to electing a president.  Does that person meet our personal need? Most of the time...as you have pointed out. But, I have to agree that Huckabee collected more votes in the caucus based on religion..and I see that as fact.
Sad, but true.

You remind us that it is a mature action to be honest about bias. True, and I also feel that it is important that we choose a candidate based on what he or she promises to offer the "kingdom". But, will the candidate walk the talk....talk the walk?

What has each candidate to say about;  economics, jobs, education, war, etc?

It's frustrating to see that voters line up in a corner based on religion.
I was pleased to see that you provided a resume' of sorts of Romney. Thank you for that.

One reason why I enjoy your posts. You offer details that are relevant.

More later,
Cindy
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 10:34:09 PM by Cynthia »

Stray Pooch

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 05:24:32 AM »
Pooch,
I spent a great deal of time earlier today replying to your post.....and CLicK....PUSH THE wrong button...and it was gone!
Darn....and I had a lot to say.

I have SO done that a million times, and with the normal length of my diatribes, you can imagine how frustrating that is!  I have gotten so I will cut and paste my entire post before clicking the "post" button in case I have a gitch.

First of all, I have to say that I enjoy reading your posts after all these years. They are eloquent, and rich with personal expressions worth the read,indeed.

Thank you for that.  I have been told that one of my teaching skills is providing a unique personal perspective on things and that is so gratifying because it's nice to be able to pawn off egocentricity as a positive trait!  :D

We all have our prejudices with regard to any given subject. My thought with your post, was .......that it seemed to me that you were making a broad decision about a given candidate based on his choice of religion, alone! Well, now I see that I was right and wrong.

Heck, we all make similar choices with regard to electing a president.  Does that person meet our personal need? Most of the time...as you have pointed out. But, I have to agree that Huckabee collected more votes in the caucus based on religion..and I see that as fact.
Sad, but true.

Well, I am thinking more of those who were anti-LDS than religion in general.  Frankly, I think the fact that a candidate speaking boldy about his Christianity is considered a big deal is the really sad thing.  Huckabee gets credit for courage, if nothing else.

You remind us that it is a mature action to be honest about bias. True, and I also feel that it is important that we choose a candidate based on what he or she promises to offer the "kingdom". But, will the candidate walk the talk....talk the walk?

More likely they will "toe the line."  That's onoe of the things that makes me admire a person like Tim Kaine (a Democrat for whom I voted) who has the integrity to make the tough choices when faced with moral dilemmas like the death penalty.  "Profiles in Courage" it turns out, was a pretty good book.

I was pleased to see that you provided a resume' of sorts of Romney. Thank you for that.

One reason why I enjoy your posts. You offer details that are relevant.

With all this verbage SOMETHING has to be relevant! 

Thanks!

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 11:56:48 AM »
Perhaps a woman CAN make a difference. I would rather see someone like Rice in the job.

========================================================
Yeah, that's the ticket, Condoleeza Rice is so utterly competent.

The National Security Adviser who presideded over the worst breech of national security in US history.

The expert in sovietology who solved the crisis in Palestine/Israel.

What the Hell has Cpondoleeza actually accomplished in office that makes anyone beileve that she is a remotely competent?

Allbright was a woman and she managed to outperform Condoleeza in every aspect of the Secretary of State job. Condoleeza is just a tad better looking, and less dumpy. And she excels at shoe-shopping and piano-playing, at least for a politician.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Cynthia

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 01:40:25 PM »
Well, Pooch....I learned the hard way to type on Microsoft word if the posts are going to be in-depth...and my original one surely was.....the labor intensive effort finding its way into the wind LOL..... ruined me wee day yesta'day! I will have to use caution when writing in the wind.....from now on.

Thank you for that.  I have been told that one of my teaching skills is providing a unique personal perspective on things and that is so gratifying because it's nice to be able to pawn off egocentricity as a positive trait!  

How's the poetry writing progessing? Weren't you writing and publishing last we heard? I enjoyed reading your poetry in the old DHS.

Well, I am thinking more of those who were anti-LDS than religion in general.  Frankly, I think the fact that a candidate speaking boldy about his Christianity is considered a big deal is the really sad thing.  Huckabee gets credit for courage, if nothing else.

That's how I feel. The fact that a candidate holds the bold religion card at all these days is not only a sad thing, but it seems, a method of  winning more votes. So now we see that not only will religion play in the hand, one's particular religious faith plays a role, as well.  In my opinion, Mormons have a closer family bond than most faiths.....as I grew up around Mormons in my childhood. The values within the Mormon faith seem to reflect the very essence of what this country needs. But, you would know more about that. I realize that Mormons tend to knock on doors, but I can't imagine that Romney would promote anything crossing the line of church and state.
His innate core values ....seems to me...would be a refreshing element in a leader.

With all this verbage SOMETHING has to be relevant!

...not only relevant, but informative.... t'would be nice to read such details about presidential candidates from their own horses mouth! ::)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 01:58:53 PM by Cynthia »

Cynthia

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 03:01:11 PM »
Perhaps a woman CAN make a difference. I would rather see someone like Rice in the job.

========================================================
Yeah, that's the ticket, Condoleeza Rice is so utterly competent.

The National Security Adviser who presideded over the worst breech of national security in US history.

The expert in sovietology who solved the crisis in Palestine/Israel.

What the Hell has Cpondoleeza actually accomplished in office that makes anyone beileve that she is a remotely competent?

Allbright was a woman and she managed to outperform Condoleeza in every aspect of the Secretary of State job. Condoleeza is just a tad better looking, and less dumpy. And she excels at shoe-shopping and piano-playing, at least for a politician.

Intelligent and a savior. ...well, maybe.
http://www.nathanielturner.com/secretarycondoleezzaricepresident.htm

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008, 03:41:07 PM »

======================
I can't answer for anyone else, but I don't dislike her... I just regard her as misguided (for supporting Juniorbush's stupid war) and deceitful (for blathereing about mushroom clouds) and supremely incompetent (for doing nothing to prevent 9-11, which as National Security Chief, was her job).

She will never be elected to anything.

There might be a book or two in her, but I imagine she'll pass her days at some rightwing university (Pepperdine?) or some rightwing foundation (Cato? National Enterprise Institute?)

Stick a fork in her.

She's done.

yellow_crane

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2008, 05:38:22 PM »

======================
I can't answer for anyone else, but I don't dislike her... I just regard her as misguided (for supporting Juniorbush's stupid war) and deceitful (for blathereing about mushroom clouds) and supremely incompetent (for doing nothing to prevent 9-11, which as National Security Chief, was her job).

She will never be elected to anything.

There might be a book or two in her, but I imagine she'll pass her days at some rightwing university (Pepperdine?) or some rightwing foundation (Cato? National Enterprise Institute?)

Stick a fork in her.

She's done.

Rice is the protege of Brent Skowcroft, who was advisor to Herbert Walker.

Skowcroft shares offices with Eagleburgher and Kissinger, or did.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2008, 06:03:04 PM »
rice would be very interesting
seriously smart
and not particularly liked at all.
so she`ll have no problem doing anything unpopular.
if you notice no one is actually in her league.
I`ve always thought she`s been holding back.

=====================================
Hey, if she is not particularly liked at all, how does she get to be president?
Nixon hated the American people, but dwespite this, some people actually liked the old bugger.

I don't think she has a league, and I can't imagine what she might be holding back.

She once referred to Juniorbush as her "husband".
That was weird.

Cynthia

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2008, 06:23:47 PM »
Condi Rice's plan for restructuring American Foreign policy has worked well so far!  My sister and brother-in-law both work indirectly for Condi Rice. They have seen first hand that working with other countries to help them build a stronger infrastructure, has made a significant impact on decreasing foreign nations' dependence on American hand-outs and assistance. In 2000-2001 my sister traveled to Russia to help secure their Nuclear sites.
I see the idea of TD as a step in the right direction.
They are both American Presence Posts (APPs), and my brother-in-law currently travels to Egypt, Indonesia and elsewhere. APPs are operated by one diplomat who lives and works outside of the embassy, representing America in other key regional population centers.

I take back my statement.....I actually  believe that Condi Rice is  "too good" for the job as president. She has offered a great deal of knowledge and support in her foreign policies.

Transformational Diplomacy
I would define the objective of transformational diplomacy this way: To work with our many partners around the world to build and sustain democratic, well-governed states that will respond to the needs of their people -- and conduct themselves responsibly in the international system?Transformational diplomacy is rooted in partnership, not paternalism -- in doing things with other people, not for them. We seek to use America?s diplomatic power to help foreign citizens to better their own lives, and to build their own nations, and to transform their own futures?Now, to advance transformational diplomacy all around the world, we in the State Department must rise to answer a new historic calling. We must begin to lay new diplomatic foundations to secure a future of freedom for all people. Like the great changes of the past, the new efforts we undertake today will not be completed tomorrow. Transforming the State Department is the work of a generation. But it is urgent work that cannot be deferred.
-- Secretary Rice, January 18, 2006

http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2006/59306.htm