Author Topic: What qualifies a person to be President of the United States?  (Read 5844 times)

Cynthia

Re: What qualifies a person to be President of the United States?
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2008, 06:53:57 PM »
Condoleezza Rice
By Armstrong Williams

Since Rice became Secretary of State in January 2005, she has undertaken several major initiatives to reform and restructure the department, as well as US diplomacy as a whole. Arguably her most substantial initiative has been dubbed "Transformational Diplomacy," a goal which she described as a process to ?work with partners around the world to build and sustain democratic, well-governed states that will respond to the needs of their people and conduct themselves responsibly in the international system.? Besides her work restructuring America?s state department, Rice has had great success overseas.

In North Korea, for example, where threats of nuclear proliferation seem ever-present, Rice has kept her cool and continually urged North Korean leaders to actively participate in the six-party talks with the US and five other countries. She also, according to senior administration officials, bypassed layers of government policy review that had prevented a past agreement. In the last two weeks, Rice became ?cautiously optimistic that we may be able to begin, again, to implement the joint statement of 2005 toward the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula.? Rice however isn?t without her critics when it comes to North Korea. Hardliners from the right are criticizing Rice?s diplomatic approach, and lawmakers from the left are upset the current deal is similar to one they could have gotten four years ago. Despite the bickering, it will soon become clear that Rice?s approach is the only path to progress in this case. Without her steady hand and head, this sort of agreement would never have been possible with North Korea.

Despite the unsuccessful war in Iraq and the troubled times in Iran, Afghanistan, Israel, Palestine, North Korea, and several other countries, Rice has become the most trusted popular member of the Bush Administration. She is arguably the most talked about, respected, and admired woman in the world. And she is certainly the most powerful woman on the globe today. The road Rice has traveled is an inspiration to all people - American or otherwise.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/ArmstrongWilliams/2007/02/26/condoleezza_rice

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2008, 08:05:23 PM »
I'll concur with Mr. Williams & Miss Cynthia on this one
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Cynthia

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2008, 10:24:11 PM »
Condi Rice has more intelligence and integrity let alone capability to lead a country than Hillary Clinton, of her hubby Bill any day ,Sirs....makes me crazy when I hear such bias based ignorance when it comes to analyzing someone like her. Let's just look at her as a "leader" instead of coupling her with any administration.  Who the heck cares if there are issues within the arena that is politics. She has done a hell of lot, and I for one, have seen it first hand.
And yet, we spend more time venting about RichPo than discussing the pros and cons of an individual such as she.

???

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2008, 01:27:47 AM »
liberal is inaccurate
it`s more like people they cannot relate to.
her look and mannerism just not acceptable.
the liberal tag is way off
african americans only lean towrad liberal agenda only because it`s to thier advantage.
until conservatives actually do somethuing helpful,the vote are gonna be tough to get.
it`s kinda bad since being anti-gay and anti-immagrant should be a vote getter on all counts

until conservatives actually do somethuing helpful,

Like what?

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2008, 01:55:36 AM »
Yeah, that's the ticket, Condoleeza Rice is so utterly competent.

The National Security Adviser who presideded over the worst breech of national security in US history.

The expert in sovietology who solved the crisis in Palestine/Israel.

What the Hell has Cpondoleeza actually accomplished in office that makes anyone beileve that she is a remotely competent?

Allbright was a woman and she managed to outperform Condoleeza in every aspect of the Secretary of State job. Condoleeza is just a tad better looking, and less dumpy. And she excels at shoe-shopping and piano-playing, at least for a politician.

Incompetent?

I don't like many things about the Bush administration in general, and Rice is a part of this administration, but she certainly isn't incompetent. She is a brilliant woman.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2008, 02:29:49 AM »
Condi Rice has more intelligence and integrity let alone capability to lead a country than Hillary Clinton, of her hubby Bill any day ,Sirs....makes me crazy when I hear such bias based ignorance when it comes to analyzing someone like her. Let's just look at her as a "leader" instead of coupling her with any administration.  Who the heck cares if there are issues within the arena that is politics. She has done a hell of lot, and I for one, have seen it first hand.
And yet, we spend more time venting about RichPo than discussing the pros and cons of an individual such as she.
  ???

That's because she's a woman, and a minority, and it rankles the living snot out of so many on the left that she can be that, as well as brilliant, talented, and conservative leaning.

For the record on Rich, I'll be up front, as much as Rich's response technique even irritated me, and his response to Terra was obviously uncalled for, I did vote not to ban, simply because, as Terra does, Rich has an exceedingly short fuse.  Terra, knowing that, knew it wouldn't take many buttons to set him off, and accomplished precisely that, setting him off.  If Terra were someone that didn't know Rich, that'd be 1 thing.  Terra's pulled some vile bits in the past, but still can present her side with some substantial passion.....just like Rich.  Yea, Rich let Terra goad him into being a jerk, but Terra knew that she could, and had no problem going in to do precisely that.  As such, I voted no ban, since in these debate forums, I know them both, all too well.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2008, 03:51:53 AM »
Rice is clearly incompetent. She helped monger a useless war, has presided over a drastic decline in respect for the US abroad, and once more: the was National Security Adviser who did nothing -zip, zilch, bupkiss, niente, rien, nada- to prevent 9-11.

Perhaps she is brilliant. But she is not by any definition brilliant in the field of diplomacy. She is a walking train wreck at that.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2008, 05:09:49 AM »
until conservatives actually do somethuing helpful,

Like what?

actually both sides hasn`t done much nowadays
but conservatives pretty much say they`re is no problems and the answer to all problems is personal responsibility.
at least liberals try to help.
ex .affirmative action
ironic part is I`m a conservative
but I`ll admit we're a cold bunch of S.O.B.`s
I true find both sides too polar to be effective anymore
both refusing to think the answer might be a mix of both

Cynthia

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2008, 02:06:42 PM »
Terra's pulled some vile bits in the past, but still can present her side with some substantial passion.....just like Rich.  Yea, Rich let Terra goad him into being a jerk, but Terra knew that she could, and had no problem going in to do precisely that.  As such, I voted no ban, since in these debate forums, I know them both, all too well.

Yes, all so true.
Ingredients for a fuel fire, albeit smaller than a bomb and larger than a bonfire? Who knows....but the blame is with need for both individuals to 'act out' in general. That's why I voted for a "stay away". Tempers can't always be tempered in a forum such as this. I know Terra's vile bits. She has stung many in the past.

Perhaps they need to join a message board to discuss such things like "Girls Gone Mild"......to discuss dress codes for young women in America.  :-X

Cynthia

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2008, 02:16:12 PM »
National Security Adviser who did nothing -zip, zilch, bupkiss, niente, rien, nada- to prevent 9-11.
Xavier,
How could she have helped prevent 9-11?

Why didn't Clinton pay more attention to the pre 9-11 shenanigans during his stay in office?

Train wreck?

How about the fact that Clinton was playing around in the O- office during his stay in office, instead of focusing on terrorism threats?

He was sitting on his butt while traveling on the train while it blindly crashed  into the station!....thousands were killed! Talk about a train wreck.

They never made it....YOU blame Condi Rice?

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 02:20:59 PM by Cynthia »

Cynthia

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2008, 02:27:12 PM »
ironic part is I`m a conservative
but I`ll admit we're a cold bunch of S.O.B.`s
I true find both sides too polar to be effective anymore
both refusing to think the answer might be a mix of both

I agree with this, Kimmie. I don't always agree with Bush. I really believe that politics needs to change to include more of a mix in terms of discussion, compromise.....instead of such divisive polarization.

Cynthia

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2008, 05:35:14 PM »
I'll concur with Mr. Williams & Miss Cynthia on this one.

Well, thank you, Sirs. :)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2008, 06:01:32 PM »
Rice is a smart, accomplished and ambitious upwardly mobile academic, far from brilliant, who landed a job as policy adviser to the President and moved from there to Cabinet status.  Very few people have the peculiar mix of brains, talent and career instincts that are required to follow that particular path to the top.

IHMO, what she lacks to be President is the ability to schmooze with, understand and manipulate the politicians, particularly Congress, in a leadership role.  She's not one of them - - she's never run for public office and failing that, she's never held a top-level military command.  Either would have done it for her, (although possibly as she's a woman, the military command, largely symbolic anyway, might still have failed to produce the desired effect) or at least been a step in the right direction, but the lack of both is fatal to her chances.

yellow_crane

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2008, 09:03:34 PM »

Rice's greatest asset is articulation.

As in her capacity for . . .

The only other pol I can think of offhand whose greatest asset is articulation is Alan Keyes.  Oh, and Newt.

I would call Rice brilliant.  However, you can brilliant and not be articulate. 

In fact, I would wager that of all the brilliant people, few are articulate.

A person with great articulation is really fairly rare.

You can be brilliant and without moral fiber.

And, as Rice has illustrated, you can be articulate and without moral fiber.

Both Rice and Colin Powell were used by the Bush family, just as a matter of daily course.  All they did was what they were told, and as a matter of daily course, with their asses hanging way out, the Bushes went fishing, leaving them to twist in the wind.

Power doesn't need brilliance or articulation.

But often it seems to need ruthless.

Cynthia

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2008, 09:14:49 PM »
Clear and precise articulation is also an art. Good for her. 

You have added just one more reason why she is extremely capable. Thank you.