Author Topic: Creative Destruction in the GOP  (Read 2126 times)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Creative Destruction in the GOP
« on: January 14, 2008, 01:15:15 PM »
Creative Destruction in the GOP
By Lawrence Henry 
Published 1/14/2008 12:08:38 AM

Two key primaries into the race, the Republican Party has more questions than answers. Does John McCain's New Hampshire win mean national security dominates the issue roster? Have voters have forgotten about McCain's shove-it-down-your-throat amnesty bill for illegal aliens, a bill on which establishment Washington got handed its head by popular opinion?

Does Mike Huckabee's win in Iowa mean that moral issues, to the contrary, will carry the race? Will Ron Paul continue to raise more money than votes? And where is that money coming from? Other than Paul and Duncan Hunter, no one in the contest decisively represents limited government conservatism, the essence of Ronald Reagan's message.

Rudy Giuliani keeps making and broadcasting commercials about American greatness, but he hasn't won anything yet. He has apparently gambled all on the Super Tuesday primaries on February 5. Fred Thompson has great ideas and a surfeit of charisma, but would apparently rather blog from home than speak on the stump or shake hands in diners.

Meanwhile, the two winners so far lie far to the left of Republican orthodoxy on global warming. Mike Huckabee favors a national no-smoking law. John McCain would happily stomp all over the First Amendment.

Mitt Romney, who talks about management competence in government and cutting costs and taxes, put mandated health insurance in place in Massachusetts -- and the penalty for not having that insurance will reportedly run up above $900.

What's going on here?

THE GOP IS UNDERGOING a process of creative destruction, of complete re-definition. Look, the mid-demographic voter in terms of age is about 40, born in 1968. That voter came of age in 1986, at the end of the Reagan era. He has no sense of the Carter failure, of the transformative nature of Reaganism. In the economy, he has never known anything but the Reagan recovery.

He saw the Berlin Wall fall when he was 19 -- has never really known the Iron Curtain or the Cold War. The Red Army? Just some cool costume threads for parties. No memory of standing armies of 100 or more divisions facing off over Europe. Watergate might as well be the Teapot Dome scandal, and Vietnam lies as remote from his regard -- in every respect: the war, the protest -- as the Spanish-American War.

Reagan's coalition, Reagan's message, which defined and established a body of voters that combined Nixon's "silent majority" with Goldwater's movement conservatives, that began to turn the solid South from Democrat to Republican, that brought the Christian right into politics -- that's all history. We're in a new world now, and both parties have to find a new definition.

But Republicans need it more. The McGovern rules of 1972 have set the Democratic agenda in concrete. The Republicans, by contrast, haven't been defined, truly defined, since the second term Reagan landslide of 1984.

Since then, the GOP has been running on fumes. For the new mid-age voter, a Republican President has always been named Bush.

EVERY KEY REPUBLICAN idea started with a certain champion. "The government is the problem, not the solution" -- that's Reagan. Jerry Falwell contributed the concern for the issues we may call the "moral cluster" -- the homosexual agenda and abortion. The apparatchik attack that nationalized liberal shortcomings came from Newt Gingrich. National security and a strong military started with Goldwater. Big tax cuts to boost the economy came from Reagan, in office -- those tax cuts worked, and they're still working.

Today, illegal immigration figures in the mix. It did not 25 years ago. And the moral cluster has expanded to include embryonic stem cell research. Global warming wasn't even on the political map for Republicans in the Reagan era. And "national security" now has a face, in the war against Islamofascism. Defense is no abstraction anymore.

As for guns, the right to bear arms has scarcely come up so far.

Not one of today's Republican candidates corresponds even roughly to Goldwater, Gingrich, Falwell, or Reagan -- and note that the last effective man in that quartet had his triumph in 1994. The crackup of the conservative coalition? In the Reaganite sense, that coalition has been gone for a long time.

FOR THE FIRST time in decades, the GOP has fielded a strong roster of candidates, at least four of them with a real chance to win the nomination. The party hasn't shrugged up somebody like Bob Dole. The nominee hasn't been settled early. No party machine has anointed anyone.

The party has dealt out a thorough mix of issues and people, with issues and people matching up in entirely new ways. And no one has any idea yet who -- or what -- will predominate.

To make the picture more complicated, emotional perceptions enter in. I once heard someone say, back in the nineties, "I like Bill Clinton because he really cares about me." And he meant it! Like this man, many voters are very stupid, and many voters cast stupid votes. They all count.

So not only are Republicans choosing a candidate based on what that candidate really believes and really can and will do, they're choosing a candidate based on what that candidate is perceived to be. For an extra layer of complication, add media bias in portraying those candidates.

On top of all that, we live in a media-hyped age where only the quickest and most effective of perceptual tags seems to get through: Holy Mike Huckabeee, roguish Rudy Giuliani, lazy Fred Thompson, manic John McCain, perfect Mitt Romney. See what I mean?

Mixed up though it is, this campaign is a good thing, not a bad one. It has just gotten interesting. It is going to stay interesting for a long time and, if we're lucky, we'll emerge from it with a newly defined and newly invigorated Republican Party. If we're unlucky, the country will nominate some image monger with nothing real to say.

http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=12566

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Creative Destruction in the GOP
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 06:18:56 PM »
So much for destruction  - now, where's the creative part?
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 08:58:05 PM »
I like this article .

Is there someone in our generation that can inspire and lead with a vision?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 09:05:19 PM »
McCain's immigration bill, call it amnesty or not, is as practical a bill as can be enforced. There is no chance that they are going to deport 12 million illegal aliens. What will happen instead is no bill at all, and a continued influx of illegals, which could reach 20 million. The more there are, the harder it will be to deport them. It's not like Chuck Norris is going to send them all a-packing if Huck is elected.

Nixon is a doddering geezer to most people under 40, they all saw him dodder and shake. He was no big deal anyway. The USSRT collapsed of its own weight, not of Reagan's silly blustering.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 09:09:09 PM »
The USSRT collapsed of its own weight, not of Reagan's silly blustering.

The USSR looks weak now , but I remember when it didn't.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 09:30:37 PM »
The collapse of the U.S.S.R., probably the greatest single tragedy of the 20th century, is a mystery to me.  I think I know a few of the contributing factors.  I also believe that things I don't even know about could have played a big role.  But one thing I DO know and that is that Ronald Reagan, the patron saint of the Latin American death squads and torture chambers, had nothing at all to do with it. 

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 09:34:24 PM »
The collapse of the U.S.S.R., probably the greatest single tragedy of the 20th century, is a mystery to me.  I think I know a few of the contributing factors.  I also believe that things I don't even know about could have played a big role.  But one thing I DO know and that is that Ronald Reagan, the patron saint of the Latin American death squads and torture chambers, had nothing at all to do with it. 

You seem to understand everything backwards.

What was tragic about resetting the doomsday clock and freeing millions from the iron curtain?

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 11:06:12 AM »

Naturally, you wouldn't want to attribute positives to Ronald Reagan, MT. But, many of us DO believe that we, financially at least, broke their back. The USSR simply could not keep pace in building their war machine. Their economy (read: GNP) could not sustain the necessary increases.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 05:30:16 PM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 04:15:20 PM »
The USSR simply could not keep pace in building their war machine. Their economy (read: GNP) could not sustain the necessary increases

==================================================
That's not quite it. The problem was that the USSR needed to develop computer skills in thousands of people in order to keep up with technology, which would have included giving many, many intellectuals the ability to do word proicessing and to communicate with one another outside the strict controls of the KGB.

Gorbachov saw that this would have been impossible, so he initiated perestrelko, an increased openness in Soviet society. That led to the collapse of the internal state security apparatus, and the USSR separated into its constituent republics, as each had different cultures, as well as economic and developmental interests and needs.

The economic collapse stemmed from the inability to dominate Afghanistan, followed by the inability of the central government to dominate the many minorities within the union and the Russian Federation itself.

The younger generation just wasn't scared of the security apparatus anymore. They were more interested in materialism than in building
a perfect state, which had not appeared in 70 years. If you can't develop a perfect state in 70 years, the odds are that it can't be done at all.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 12:33:52 PM »
The USSR simply could not keep pace in building their war machine. Their economy (read: GNP) could not sustain the necessary increases

==================================================
That's not quite it. The problem was that the USSR needed to develop computer skills in thousands of people in order to keep up with technology, which would have included giving many, many intellectuals the ability to do word proicessing and to communicate with one another outside the strict controls of the KGB.

Gorbachov saw that this would have been impossible, so he initiated perestrelko, an increased openness in Soviet society. That led to the collapse of the internal state security apparatus, and the USSR separated into its constituent republics, as each had different cultures, as well as economic and developmental interests and needs.

The economic collapse stemmed from the inability to dominate Afghanistan, followed by the inability of the central government to dominate the many minorities within the union and the Russian Federation itself.

The younger generation just wasn't scared of the security apparatus anymore. They were more interested in materialism than in building
a perfect state, which had not appeared in 70 years. If you can't develop a perfect state in 70 years, the odds are that it can't be done at all.

How is China copeing with this problem?

Is the great firewall a success?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 02:51:03 PM »
How is China copeing with this problem?

Is the great firewall a success?\
===================================================
There is, as you mentioned "The Great Firewall", but how well it is working is not really public information. The dissident organizations, like Fa Lin Gong and the PRC government are both going to claim that it is working better than it is, the latter because of pride, the former because if they have found a way through it, they won't want the government to know about it.

In 1991, the Internet was not a major problem to the USSR, but access to natinjal networks withinm the nation were, as was the ability to copy a million word manuscript or two on a floppy and send copies to everyone and their brother.

China was far less developed, technology wise in 1991, but they have greatly expanded their networks and the number of computers, and of course now firewall technology is effective,whereas in 1991 it was not.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 03:05:16 PM »
and of course now firewall technology is effective,whereas in 1991 it was not.

Only if you can "bottleneck" the traffic (send it through a limited number of outside connections). So, for a corporation or personal connection, it is very effective. As you increase the number of connections with the outside, it becomes less effective.

The IP protocol (which the Internet was founded upon) has design features that let it route around trouble spots (one of the goals was to create a self-adapting network that could still be used even in the event of a limited nuclear exchange). One of my favorite quotes from way back when goes something like "The Internet considers firewalls to be nuclear attacks and routes around them."
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 04:01:37 PM »
and of course now firewall technology is effective,whereas in 1991 it was not.

Only if you can "bottleneck" the traffic (send it through a limited number of outside connections). So, for a corporation or personal connection, it is very effective. As you increase the number of connections with the outside, it becomes less effective

=====================================================
So my statement is true, and you have provided the reason. I won't dispute this, as I lack the savvy to do this.

I am not arguing that the Chinese "Great Firewall" is as effective as the PRC government wants it to be or not. I am saying that no one has a motive for claiming it is less effective than it really is, so the degree of effictiveness is likely to be unknown.

I have no Chinese Internet friends. My Taiwanese friend, who writes Chinese and whose computer is set up to display characters as mine is not, says it is impossible to communicate with someone he knows in Harbin, but that is hardly evidence one way or another of the entire firewall.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 04:31:24 PM »
I am saying that no one has a motive for claiming it is less effective than it really is, so the degree of effictiveness is likely to be unknown.

Computer experts from the University of Cambridge claim not only to have breached the Great Firewall of China, but have found a way to use the firewall to launch denial-of-service attacks against specific Internet Protocol addresses in the country.
More at the link.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 05:42:27 PM »
I find this heartening. I am opposed to the Great Firewall on general principles.

I believe that the free flow of information is a good thing, on the whole.