Author Topic: Milwaukee area  (Read 1469 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Milwaukee area
« on: January 16, 2008, 03:55:08 PM »
I'm going to be in the Milwaukee area for business Monday, but I'm flying in Sunday evening. Anyone in the area want to get together?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Milwaukee area
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 05:05:33 PM »
I recall the following ditty from my youth:

"I'm from Milwaukee, and I oughta know,

It's Blatz, Blatz, Blatz, wherever you go!"

===================================
I have even partaken of Blatz beer, back when it was available in Kansas City.

But has Blatz died, or has it retreated to the Milwaukee area?

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 05:13:24 PM »
But has Blatz died, or has it retreated to the Milwaukee area?

Went out of business in 1959.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 05:46:49 PM »
I find this sad.

Schlitz used to be one of the best sellign beers inthe land,and it was bought out by someone (Busch, I think) and was degraded to a discount brand before vanishing.

There was a time when Schlitz Blue Bull was the best known malt liquor, and Schlitz Red Bull was advertised as an even more potent brew. And now, Red Bull is naught but an overpriced, skinny can of caffinated fluid with a clever ad campaign.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 05:53:27 PM »
Apparently, the name was resurrected and continues to flow, even though the Blatz family is not longer associated with it. Here is a review I googled from the Opinionated Beer Review:

Blatz Beer
G. Heileman Brewing Co
Steve: An old Wisconsin brewery label, dating back to 1852, which coincidentally is the same birth year as the people who still drink this. OK, slight exaggeration, but I can say with certainty that this is primarily consumed by male Wisconsonians between the ages of 50 and death. After buying a 40 oz (smallest single size I could find at Carl's in Merrill, WI), an old woman walked out with a case (carrying it in one hand), and at that point I wish I had done what Rocky did and offered her a buck for one of them. According to my father-in-law, the guys down at the plant drink this by the case because it has no taste at all. It's a horrible beer, but I can't say that it tastes bad, because it doesn't taste like anything. It's like that flavored water that Gatorade makes, except that instead of fruit flavors, they gave it a touch of beer flavor. I got halfway through the 40 before pouring the rest down my mother-in-law's sink drain (by the way, Marge, I took care of that clog for you). (10/23/2004)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 06:02:59 PM »
Yeah, Pabst bought the label when the business was liquidated.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 06:06:34 PM »
And I'll stick with my and my friend's homebrew or microbrews. Can't stand the watery tastelessness of all production beers made in the US.

Found a real good one recently: Konings hoeven (Quadrupel Trappist Ale) made in the Netherlands.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 06:13:31 PM »
I can't recall much about drinking Blatz beer. I was in High School at the time and beer was still a mystery to me.

I will agree with the following review of Fin Du Monde (End of the World) Quebecois beer:

Tim: Triple fermented and 9% alcohol, this could get you pissed in a hurry. It comes in a 750 ml bottle too. Now English Canadians like myself are often told that Quebecois culture is often more "continental", meaning European. Well bring it on because when it comes to beer it enriches all Canadians. This is another damn good beer from "unibroue". This beer is probably more gold than blonde. It's murky too. You can't see your hand on the other side of the glass. The taste is slightly tart, but the subtle flavour is worth getting used to and if you give it a chance you'll like it a lot. Wild spices, malt, hops. this beer is allegedly brewed in a way developed by Trappist monks in the Middle Ages. I'd compare it to Belgian beer like Corsendonk if I were to compare it to anything. (4/5/2003)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 06:18:18 PM »
I had heard that there was a REAL Budweiser that was, in fact the King of Beers, and here is a review:

Czechvar
BBNP, Ceske Budejovice
Steve: What is this beer, you ask? Where is this brewery, you ask? Never heard of it, you say? Well, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the Holy Grail of beer, the beer that Michail Jackson suggested is worth a trip to the Czech Republic to drink it. This, my friends, is the one, the only BUDWEISER BUDVAR!!!!! This is the beer that has locked legal horns with Anheuser Busch for DECADES. The beer that couldn't be sold in America under it's current name (which is why they changed it to Czechvar in the US). How was it, you ask? Eh, it was OK. NO IT WASN'T!!! IT WAS F'IN AWESOME. You mary's out there WISH you could get this beer. To those of you who think that any beer stronger than Bud is motor oil, YOU AREN'T MAN ENOUGH TO DRINK THIS BEER! If your idea of a good time is going home to your trailer, opening a can of Busch Light, petting your mangy dog and saying "ah, this is the life," then this beer is not for you, just like a Jaguar is not for you. Want to know how this tasted? READ THIS REVIEW! How do you think it tastes? Like the greatest God-danged lager I've ever had (except for Schwarzer Adler, that was better, but it was fresher). Don't like this because it doesn't have a born-on date? Who cares! Most of you aren't smart enough to know how long a beer can last, so who cares?!!! Paulina Poriskova, Petr Sykora, Patrick Elias and Czechvar. God, I love the Czech Republic!!! (9/8/2001)

Kris: I didn't get a chubby over this like Steve apparently did, but I will agree that this is the best beer I've ever had. I refuse to recognize the "new" name, though. Budweiser Budvar has been brewed far longer than the pee in a bottle that Anheuser-Busch produces, and as you can guess, the taste is superior in every way. (7/24/2004)

Alas, I have yet to swill this brew, yet the review makes me wish to...

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 07:47:13 PM »
Beer ads - pics and videos

http://www.thelandsalmon.com/design/clever-beer-adverts.html

There are more that people sent in listed in the 'Comments'.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016