Author Topic: Uh no, you won't hear this on the network news.  (Read 5792 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Uh no, you won't hear this on the network news.
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 01:09:12 PM »
Well, it is better than being referred to being incompatico with me or Sirs.

======================================\
I observe that you have invented a Spanish word.
There is no such word as incompatico in Spanish.

The opposite of simp?tico (nice, pleasant, easy to get along with) is antip?tico (mean, nasty, resembling a junkyard dog or the mythical LeRoy Brown).

This is like the term 'n?mero uno' to mean 'the first, the best' Spanish correct;y uses the word ' el primero' for this.

'N?mero uno' seems to have come from the translation into Spanish by some Hispanic (possibly Puerto Rican) soldier of the Japanese term 'Dai ichi', which translates 'number one', or 'the first', 'the best'.

Then there are the terms 'exactamundo' and 'no problemo' , which writers stick in sitcom scripts, since they sound so utterly goofy in Spanish they always get a laugh out of the Los Angeles studio audiences.

Correct Spanish is 'exactamente' and 'no hay problema', which are not funny, b4ecause they don't sound like a gringo trying to speak espa?ol.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 03:45:51 PM »
...<heavy sigh>....

So, XO, a friend of mine last week put his entire portfolio in TIAA-CREF (around $350K) in Growth stocks as he is convinced speculative stocks, contrary to the "crowd", will go bananas. Sounds bizarre to me. Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 03:47:45 PM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Knutey

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 03:46:54 PM »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The man clearly has no idea of what he is talking about . He must be a Professor of idiotology.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 03:48:28 PM »
Information Technology -- we are used to creating new words.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 04:00:07 PM »

The opposite of simp?tico (nice, pleasant, easy to get along with) is antip?tico (mean, nasty, resembling a junkyard dog or the mythical LeRoy Brown).

This is like the term 'n?mero uno' to mean 'the first, the best' Spanish correct;y uses the word ' el primero' for this.

'N?mero uno' seems to have come from the translation into Spanish by some Hispanic (possibly Puerto Rican) soldier of the Japanese term 'Dai ichi', which translates 'number one', or 'the first', 'the best'.

Then there are the terms 'exactamundo' and 'no problemo' , which writers stick in sitcom scripts, since they sound so utterly goofy in Spanish they always get a laugh out of the Los Angeles studio audiences.

Correct Spanish is 'exactamente' and 'no hay problema', which are not funny, b4ecause they don't sound like a gringo trying to speak espa?ol.

I learned Simpatico a while back , it means pleasant company,and implys talkative , right?
So that there isn't an exact English translation in a single word.

When the French coin a new word ,  L'Acad'mie fran'aise gets involved , English new words are recognised in Oxford , Who recoginses or makes rulings on new words in Spanish?

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1E1-FrenchAc.html
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 05:17:34 PM by Plane »

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 04:55:05 PM »
<<Who recoginses or makes rulings on new words in Spanish?>>

Reasonable question - - I know there's a Brazilian-Portugese academic body that tries to standardize Portuguese language as spoken in Brazil, Portugal, Angola and a few other Portuguese language enclaves, but Spanish would be a much bigger problem since there are so many Spanish-speaking countries.

from the Wikipedia article on Spanish Language
:

<<The Real Academia Espa?ola (Royal Spanish Academy), together with the 21 other national ones (see Association of Spanish Language Academies), exercises a standardizing influence through its publication of dictionaries and widely respected grammar and style guides. Due to this influence and for other sociohistorical reasons, a standardized form of the language (Standard Spanish) is widely acknowledged for use in literature, academic contexts and the media.>>

Knutey

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 05:45:47 PM »
Information Technology -- we are used to creating new words.

Just like Repubs make shit up as they go along, huh?

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 05:53:32 PM »
Are you really this petty?
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 05:59:43 PM »

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

fatman

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 07:05:21 PM »

Oooh yeah, you'd better believe it Prof.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2008, 07:24:13 PM »
So, XO, a friend of mine last week put his entire portfolio in TIAA-CREF (around $350K) in Growth stocks as he is convinced speculative stocks, contrary to the "crowd", will go bananas. Sounds bizarre to me. Your thoughts?

=====================================================================
My thoughts are that is is indeed right. Growth stocks have the greatest potential to surge really high when the fickle finger of fate eventually gives them their turn. One does indeed make money by buying low and selling high, and at the absolute low of a class of stocks, no one wants them. Like Chrysler in the 80's, after the government bail-out.

Being 65, I am inclined to wait a while longer in the RE fund, because I see Growth stocks being flat or in a downward trend at least until the next administration takes over. I have in the past, earned around 29% in the Growth Fund. But every category is cyclical.

Right now, the cycle that show the best yields are Emerging Markets, Natural Resources, Latin America, and specialized Real Estate, like TIAA Real Estate. Some US largecaps are also on the rise.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Knutey

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 01:26:02 AM »
And you this duplicitous?