Author Topic: Uh no, you won't hear this on the network news.  (Read 5793 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uh no, you won't hear this on the network news.
« on: January 18, 2008, 12:34:14 PM »

Al Qaeda in Iraq's shrinking area of operations
By Bill Roggio
January 17, 2008 - 9:04 PM

Nearly one year to the day of the announcement of the "surge" of US forces to Iraq and the change in counterinsurgency plan, Iraqi and Coalition forces have shrunk al Qaeda's ability to conduct operations inside Iraq, a senior US commander said.

During a press briefing in Baghdad, Lieutenant General Ray Odierno, the Commander of Multinational Corps Iraq, said al Qaeda in Iraq has been ejected from its strongholds in the cities to the rural regions of Iraq.

From late 2006 into 2007, "Iraq was caught in a cycle of bloodshed under the dark cloud of al Qaeda," said Odierno. Al Qaeda was "entrenched in numerous urban safe havens across Iraq" until the surge forces launched Operation Phantom Thunder in June 2007.

Al Qaeda in Iraq's network has been significantly degraded, but is still a threat. Al Qaeda remains active in regions near Miqdadiyah, Mosul, Hawijah, Samarra, and southeast of Baghdad in the Arab Jabour region. "Although the group remains a dangerous threat, its capabilities have been diminished," said Odierno. "Al Qaeda has been pushed out of urban centers like Baghdad, Ramadi, Fallujah and Baqubah, and forced into isolated rural areas. Many of their top leaders have been eliminated, and finding qualified replacements is increasingly difficult for them." Multinational Forces Iraq also estimates it has significantly degraded al Qaeda's ability to fund operations by dismantling its financier networks and leaders.

Operation Phantom Phoenix, the current nationwide operation targeting al Qaeda's remaining safe havens, was launched on Jan. 8. Iraqi and US forces have captured or killed 121 al Qaeda fighters, wounded 14, and detained an additional 1023 suspects. Al Qaeda's leadership has been hit hard during the operation, with 92 high values targets either killed or captured.

Iraqi and US forces have also discovered 351 weapons caches and four tunnel complexes, Odierno said. Iraqi and US forces have also discovered three car bomb and improvised explosive device [IED] factories and 410 IEDs, including 18 car bombs and 25 homes rigged with explosives. Also found were "numerous torture chambers, an underground medical clinic, several closed schools, and a large foreign fighter camp with intricate tunnel complexes," said Odierno.

The reduction of ethno-sectarian violence in Baghdad from December 2006 to December 2007. Ethno-sectarian violence is down 90 percent Baghdad from December 2006 to December 2007.

Iraqi security forces have conducted independent operations and deployments during Phantom Phoenix. An entire brigade was moved from Anbar province to Diyala, where a major fight against al Qaeda in Iraq is under way.

"With less than a week's notice the 3rd Brigade of the 1st Iraqi Army Division was alerted to deploy from Anbar province to Diyala province to support combat operations in the Diyala River Valley," said Odierno.? This was a good Iraqi decision and was executed solely by the Iraqis. Within 36 hours upon arrival, the 3rd Brigade uncovered two sizeable caches, gathered significant intelligence and aggressively hunted down al Qaeda in tough terrain and demanding climatic conditions." As recently as the spring of 2007 Anbar was the most violent province in Iraq.

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2008/01/al_qaeda_in_iraqs_sh.php

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Knutey

Re: Uh no, you won't hear this on the network news.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 12:46:14 PM »
People got tired of reading and reporting lies like this a looong time ago.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 01:05:54 PM »
<<People got tired of reading and reporting lies like this a looong time ago.>>

Maybe it's the Iraq War equivalent of the "light at the end of the tunnel" speech that Westmoreland gave in Viet Nam just before the Tet Offensive (which of course was a "great military victory" for the U.S.A.)

However in this case there's an added reason for the MSM not to get too excited about this - - Al Qaeda in Iraq is a minor component of the Iraqi Resistance, and they're obviously lying low during the "surge."  They ain't goin' nowhere.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 01:10:19 PM »
Has anyone thought of the other reason you may not hear this on the news?

Do these contractors such as KBR, CACI, Titan, Bechtel, and the others have any reason to want this war to ever end? As a corporation, do you ever wish to see your market dry up and go away?

I'm just asking.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 01:16:45 PM »
A corporation's bad dream is not growing next quarter, next fiscal year.
To actually SHRINK is a corporate nightmare.

Corporations are vastly sophisticated arrangements, but they tend to react to occurrences in their environment more or less in the simplistic way of Pac-Man.

Peace and withdrawal from Iraq would be to Halliburton as Pac-Man becoming aware that Inky, Blinky or Pinky as on his trail. (Inky, Blinky and Pinky are 'liberals' or perhaps 'Islamofascist terrrorists' to Pac-Man,

Electing a Republican president would be like eating a "power pill."
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Knutey

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 01:18:14 PM »
Has anyone thought of the other reason you may not hear this on the news?

Do these contractors such as KBR, CACI, Titan, Bechtel, and the others have any reason to want this war to ever end? As a corporation, do you ever wish to see your market dry up and go away?

I'm just asking.

You forgot Halliburton whose former CEO lied US into this mess to begin with. Of course they want endless war.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 01:33:03 PM »
more bad news for the "cheering for a US loss" crowd on the Left

"Iraq forces could control all provinces this year"

By David Morgan - Jan 17, 2008

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Iraq's army and police could be ready to take over security in all 18 provinces by the end of this year as the U.S. military moves toward a less prominent role in the country, U.S. officials said on Thursday.

"We look at it every month. We make recommendations. I think that if we continue along the path we're on now, we'll be able to do that by the end of 2008," Lt. Gen. Ray Odierno, the No. 2 commander of U.S. forces in Iraq, said when asked when Iraqi forces could take the lead in all provinces.

He said that a joint operation under way led by Iraqi troops and supported by U.S. troops against al Qaeda militants in the northern city of Mosul was a model for the future.

"That's how I see our role frankly in the future here," he told Pentagon reporters via videolink from Baghdad.

Iraqi security forces are now in control of nine provinces after assuming control of Iraqi's southern oil hub, Basra, in December.

Iraqi forces are also expected to take control in Anbar province, a one-time insurgent stronghold, as early as March.

The ability of Iraqi forces to take the lead in security operations is vital to President George W. Bush's plan to withdraw 20,000 U.S. troops by the middle of this year.

The troops were sent to Iraq last year in a bid to quell sectarian violence in a war now in its sixth year. With U.S. troop levels up to about 155,000 now, violence levels have since dropped sharply.

"All the evidence available to me now suggests we will be able to complete the drawdown," Defense Secretary Robert Gates told reporters separately.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN1724900020080117?pageNumber=3&virtualBrandChannel=0
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 09:58:39 PM »

And yet you read this. Must be interesting after all...
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Knutey

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 01:37:46 PM »

And yet you read this. Must be interesting after all...
  I think it is interesting that you morons keep believing and peddling this bullshit.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 01:56:36 PM »
We do it just for you, Knute, since you actually read it. Keeps yu out of the courtroom. After all, one less lawyer in the courtroom is a victory for, well, EVERYONE!
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Knutey

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 04:24:04 PM »
We do it just for you, Knute, since you actually read it. Keeps yu out of the courtroom. After all, one less lawyer in the courtroom is a victory for, well, EVERYONE!

May I ask what the F*** you are talking about? You must have me confused with the bald guy from NJ.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 05:51:28 PM »

May I ask what the F*** you are talking about? You must have me confused with the bald guy from NJ.

My apologies then. Yuor viewpoints can be so similar...
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 05:55:23 PM »
OUCH......don't think Domer deserves that low a blow
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Knutey

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 10:08:01 PM »

My apologies then. Yuor viewpoints can be so similar...

I deeply resent that allegation. Domer is a pseudo lib . He even likes the dumbshit Lieberman. That is the worst.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 11:34:07 PM »
Well, it is better than being referred to being incompatico with me or Sirs.
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D