Author Topic: Recession?  (Read 13188 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Recession?
« on: January 18, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
How low will the market have to go in order to make you people understand that the whole of the country is not doing as well as the Haves are doing?

When that market drops below 12,000 next week some time and people start wigging out even more, then it is going to drop even lower.

I suppose what we're figuring out is no one will start understanding that this country's economy can't run on fast food, coca cola and computers or basically shuffling piles of money around.

Bush the Moron got something right the other night in his cringe-worthy interview with ABC.  Higher oil prices will destroy this country which means the Middle East has us by the short hairs.

Y'all better get with the program and come to Jesus and realize that Hummers should be burned like Beatles records in the '60's and the auto industry needs to be turning to making cars that run on compressed air or hydrogen TODAY and not in oh maybe hopefully 20 -30 years, we'll see.

It's time to collectively circle the economic wagons or the America you guys love so much will go the way of the dodo and the Mayans.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Recession?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 10:20:36 PM »
I guess we will need photo id to storm the castle.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 10:48:29 PM »
It might be nice to mind your one business a lot more, Brass. I do not have a Hummer, I have a Honda Civic and two Toyotas. That being the case, it simply is NOT you and anyone's esle's business to tell someone who DOES have a Hummer to get rid of it. If you told me, I would tell you to mind your on business.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 02:07:21 PM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Cynthia

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 12:08:16 AM »
It might be nice to mind your onw business a lot more, Brass. I do not have a Hummer, I have a Honda Civic and two Toyotas. That being the case, it simply is NOT you and anyone's esle's business to tell someone who DOES have a Hummer to get rid of it. If you told me, I would tell you to mind your on business.

Professor,

Minding one's own business is one thing, and caring about the environment is still another. It's no one's business what they want to do, but it is everyone's business when it comes to going "hog wild", he's right on this one.  I don't agree with Brass on a lot of issues, but Hummers are a waste in so many ways. Seems like the more we build, the more we want....and the cycle goes on and on....We need to go the other direction and fast.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 01:35:52 AM »
Brass is making a classic mistake.

He is trying to change a situation by shaming, ridiculing and lampooning the very people he needs to persuade that more efficient vehicles are a sound idea, that respect for the environment is in the listener self interest and that sustainable alternative energy is the future.

Conservation is a grass roots thing. It starts at home. It starts with choices based on needs. I doubt anyone in this forum owns a hummer. So why the generic rant? I don't doubt that many in this forum get better miles per gallon than brass. Some of us compensate by driving less or telecommuting. Others conserve by using less electricity or water or recycle what we use. It is all interconnected. And it all helps. It is all about scale. Facilitate, don't mandate.

The rant wasn't about America. It was a dart thrown at Bush, theists and the middle class. Maybe it plays well in some circles but to me it was more about the ranter than the target of his diatribe.

Maybe it was just venting, tilting at windmills, meaningless lecture in quest of some false validation.

My question is does it do more harm than good.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 01:39:27 AM by BT »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 08:21:26 AM »
=========================================
My answer is that it probably does neither. It's not like this forum is populated by Hummer owners or even if it were that they would follow Brass's advice.

No one can follow Brass's advice to trade any vehicle in for one that runs on Hydrogen or compressed air, as there are none.

It would be nice if we had that option.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Cynthia

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 11:55:08 AM »

Classic Brass, this is true. But he holds to his convictions. Interesting, how one can read the lines and then between the lines there lies an entirely"classic Brassie".

He is trying to change a situation by shaming, ridiculing and lampooning the very people he needs to persuade that more efficient vehicles are a sound idea, that respect for the environment is in the listener self interest and that sustainable alternative energy is the future.

So, why are we shooting the messanger? Seems to me that the issue of more efficent vehicles persuades on its own.

Conservation is a grass roots thing. It starts at home. It starts with choices based on needs.

YEs, it's grass root, but it sure helps when a grocery clerk actually tells the costumer NOT to use plastic because of the environment, reminding her of that little fact.
We need change in this world environmentally and I think it's time we start paying attention to all the ideas out there, even if they are a bit self serving. The point was, for me, the enviornment, not another titty tatty riff someone has with Brass on board.

I doubt anyone in this forum owns a hummer. So why the generic rant?

When did it become a matter of whether or not someone in this forum owns anything, BT? Brass cares about the enviornment. I hope.  I know he's a bit on the edge when it comes to his ideas, but when it comes to anything about the enviornment, I do think we need to pay closer attention at all levels, and especially outside the 3DHS box.

Others conserve by using less electricity or water or recycle what we use. It is all interconnected. And it all helps. It is all about scale. Facilitate, don't mandate.

I agree that we need less mandating and more involvement, but all the while the air gets thicker and the wallets get thicker and the lungs get weaker and the land gets raped. YEs, it's all interconnected and if it means that some things are mandated, like a ban on smoking.....why not. It has helped me enjoy a meal, sit on a flight in peace, and walk into the teacher's lounge without gagging.

The rant wasn't about America. It was a dart thrown at Bush, theists and the middle class. Maybe it plays well in some circles but to me it was more about the ranter than the target of his diatribe.

I know how Brass rants. I do. But, can't a person respond on the point instead of the ranter? I was responding to the issue of Hummers in general. I hate them. I think they are a waste and a slap in the face of all of us who want to enjoy life.They are huge, massive pieces of crap. What's next.....a tank? The Jeep came out of WW2. There were billed as a very unsafe vehicle at one time in the maintream. .....Tipped over like a feather.

When is ranting about the environment, if one does so....against Bush?

I agree that Brass takes major issue against theist, and the Bush Admin. as do XO, MTee and others but I think everyone cares about waste and the destruction it creates in this country.

How?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 11:59:41 AM by Cynthia »

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 12:12:42 PM »
So, why are we shooting the messanger? Seems to me that the issue of more efficent vehicles persuades on its own.

Ridiculing the recipient of the message rarely works. Do you ridicule your students to get them to learn?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 02:09:35 PM »
It might be nice to mind your onw business a lot more, Brass. I do not have a Hummer, I have a Honda Civic and two Toyotas. That being the case, it simply is NOT you and anyone's esle's business to tell someone who DOES have a Hummer to get rid of it. If you told me, I would tell you to mind your on business.

Professor,

Minding one's own business is one thing, and caring about the environment is still another. It's no one's business what they want to do, but it is everyone's business when it comes to going "hog wild", he's right on this one.  I don't agree with Brass on a lot of issues, but Hummers are a waste in so many ways. Seems like the more we build, the more we want....and the cycle goes on and on....We need to go the other direction and fast.

I agree they are a waste, Cynthia and I wouldn't own one for several reasons, that being a primary one, but the fact remains that in this free society, anyone can and do make "dumb" choices.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 02:11:31 PM »

Conservation is a grass roots thing. It starts at home. It starts with choices based on needs. I doubt anyone in this forum owns a hummer. So why the generic rant? I don't doubt that many in this forum get better miles per gallon than brass. Some of us compensate by driving less or telecommuting. Others conserve by using less electricity or water or recycle what we use. It is all interconnected. And it all helps. It is all about scale. Facilitate, don't mandate.

Maybe it was just venting, tilting at windmills, meaningless lecture in quest of some false validation.

Really, those people are not deserving of coercion or pleas.  They are deserving of criminalization.

You guys are so wrapped in your supposed love of freedom, you'll cut off your nose to spite your face by being "FREE!" while riding your freedom to the demise of what you are supposedly trying to defend your right to.

It is up to level-headed types like me to realize that you guys are sending us ALL to hell in a handbasket for your perverted view of freedom.

For you, "freedom" appears to mean doing whatever you want whenever you want to the detriment of anyone and everyone who doesn't like it.  It involves defending those who are CLEARLY criminals, like Larry Craig (now being defended by the ACLU, btw), in order to prevent anyone from thinking that conservatives are pretty much petty, selfish children and should be, if not ignored, then absolutely prevented from having a seat of power.

Well, there is a groundswell of anger in America among level-headed folk and you fanatic sycophants are going down.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 02:18:26 PM »
It involves defending those who are CLEARLY criminals, like Larry Craig

What criminal act did he commit?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 02:29:08 PM »
Quote from: Brassmask link=topic=5126.msg48759#msg48759

For you, "freedom" appears to mean doing whatever you want whenever you want to the detriment of anyone and everyone who doesn't like it.

You mean, like modern day Liberalism?? 

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 02:55:10 PM »

Really, those people are not deserving of coercion or pleas.  They are deserving of criminalization.

You guys are so wrapped in your supposed love of freedom, you'll cut off your nose to spite your face by being "FREE!" while riding your freedom to the demise of what you are supposedly trying to defend your right to.

It is up to level-headed types like me to realize that you guys are sending us ALL to hell in a handbasket for your perverted view of freedom.

For you, "freedom" appears to mean doing whatever you want whenever you want to the detriment of anyone and everyone who doesn't like it.  It involves defending those who are CLEARLY criminals, like Larry Craig (now being defended by the ACLU, btw), in order to prevent anyone from thinking that conservatives are pretty much petty, selfish children and should be, if not ignored, then absolutely prevented from having a seat of power.

Well, there is a groundswell of anger in America among level-headed folk and you fanatic sycophants are going down.

What a crock!

Have you changed out all your incandescent lightbulbs?

You trade in the van?

You install low flow water savers to your faucets and showers?

Do you carpool?

Have you reinsulated your house?

Get back to me when you have, preacher boy.

Criminalization, my ass.

BTW since when did you want to criminalize homosexual behavior?

Cynthia

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 08:25:56 PM »

Ridiculing the recipient of the message rarely works. Do you ridicule your students to get them to learn?

Why are you making this personal, Ami? Of course not. Is Brass a teacher in this scenario? No.

I wasn't supporting or denying that Brass ridicules others. I was simply stating that the man has his point in terms of the environmental issue.

Cynthia

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 08:28:30 PM »

Professor,

I agree they are a waste, Cynthia and I wouldn't own one for several reasons, that being a primary one, but the fact remains that in this free society, anyone can and do make "dumb" choices.

And I do believe, Prof. that we can agree to agree' that it's ok to express a thought here, eh? I respect the rights of others. I just feel as though the auto industry should be wiser for their grandchildren's future.