Author Topic: Recession?  (Read 13190 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Recession?
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2008, 05:15:13 PM »
The least fuel efficient SUV on the road:

Mercedes-Benz G 55 AMG 11/13, Porsche Cayenne Turbo SUV: 13 mpg/18 mpg, Mercedes-Benz R500 SUV 13/18, Nissan Titan 4WD 13/18, Nissan Armada 13, and the Land Rover LR3 SE (V8), 13 mpg.Volkswagen Touareg SUV: 14 mpg/18 mpg, Audi Q7 SUV*: 14 mpg/19 mpg, Infiniti FX45 SUV: 14 mpg/18 mpg, Infiniti QX SUV: 13 mpg/18 mpg, Lexus LX SUV: 13 mpg/18 mpg, Toyota Land Cruiser SUV: 13 mpg/18 mpg

Hummer more fuel efficient than sport sedans:

BMW M5 & M6 (12/18), Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG and CL600 sedans (13/19), Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG sedan: 13 mpg/19 mpg, Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG convertible: 14 mpg/19 mpg, Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG: 13 mpg/20 mpg, Mercedes-Benz SL600 convertibles: 13 mpg/19 mpg, Mercedes-Benz S600 sedan: 13 mpg/19 mpg,

Why then is Hummer a Target?

The 2007 H3 gets an official EPA Rating of 15/20 MPG. The H3 will get 14/18 with the new 2008 ratings and a 7 of 10 Air Pollution Score - all MPG scores went down with the 2008 rating system.

This is really an issue about economic class - Hummer (14/20) driver's are firemen and BMW M5 (12/18) drivers are Lawyers. Where is the anger and protests against BMW, the anger at Audi AWD sedans, Mercedes-Benz, or the Toyota trucks?

I enjoy watching the Hummer outrage as it is a great way to spot bigots.

H2: Very few H2s sold and this is a HD vehicle and thus there are no EPA MPG ratings. Thus there is no ability to make comparison to the large HD truck market. I hear about 12 to 14 MPG Hwy and about 10 MPG combined. Which puts it above the luxury sport sedans and right in with HD trucks.

http://www.sierraclub.org/compass/2006/02/hummer-its-just-so-evil.asp#726187482593229378

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2008, 05:37:05 PM »

Mercedes-Benz G 55 AMG 11/13, Porsche Cayenne Turbo SUV: 13 mpg/18 mpg, Mercedes-Benz R500 SUV 13/18, Nissan Titan 4WD 13/18, Nissan Armada 13, and the Land Rover LR3 SE (V8), 13 mpg.Volkswagen Touareg SUV: 14 mpg/18 mpg, Audi Q7 SUV*: 14 mpg/19 mpg, Infiniti FX45 SUV: 14 mpg/18 mpg, Infiniti QX SUV: 13 mpg/18 mpg, Lexus LX SUV: 13 mpg/18 mpg, Toyota Land Cruiser SUV: 13 mpg/18 mpg

BMW M5 & M6 (12/18), Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG and CL600 sedans (13/19), Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG sedan: 13 mpg/19 mpg, Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG convertible: 14 mpg/19 mpg, Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG: 13 mpg/20 mpg, Mercedes-Benz SL600 convertibles: 13 mpg/19 mpg, Mercedes-Benz S600 sedan: 13 mpg/19 mpg,

The 2007 H3 gets an official EPA Rating of 15/20 MPG. The H3 will get 14/18 with the new 2008 ratings and a 7 of 10 Air Pollution Score - all MPG scores went down with the 2008 rating system.

This is really an issue about economic class - Hummer (14/20) driver's are firemen and BMW M5 (12/18) drivers are Lawyers. Where is the anger and protests against BMW, the anger at Audi AWD sedans, Mercedes-Benz, or the Toyota trucks?

H2: Very few H2s sold and this is a HD vehicle and thus there are no EPA MPG ratings. Thus there is no ability to make comparison to the large HD truck market. I hear about 12 to 14 MPG Hwy and about 10 MPG combined. Which puts it above the luxury sport sedans and right in with HD trucks.

http://www.sierraclub.org/compass/2006/02/hummer-its-just-so-evil.asp#726187482593229378

I believe Hummers also suffer due to their footprint, namely they LOOK over-the-top. Simplistic perhaps but perceptive sometimes rules supreme.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2008, 06:03:47 PM »
Perhaps we need something analogous to the assault weapon's ban which largely ban weapons that LOOK mean, but are in no way military assault weapons
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2008, 06:53:51 PM »

========================================================
Disliking people who dislike Hummer owners is about as simplistic as disliking Hummers or their owners.
The average guy on the street does not know the EPA mileage figures. He DOES know that the Hummer LOOKS like it was meant to be a gashog. People buy Hummers because they LOOK menacing. While it is true that a Hummer gets better mileage than a Porsche 9-11 or maybe even a Cayenne or a Boxer, the Porsches are intended to be fun cars, and are not sold to do the daily sort of service that the Hummer is generally bought for, ie to pick up the groceries, to take Becky-Sue to the ballet class, to drive to work every day.

The Hummer is criticized for being what its designers intended. A car for guys with complexes about their weewees being too small to do the duty of the minivan they really need. It looks about as aerodynamic as a brick, but in reality is no less aerodynamic than a 1980's Volvo, which is also brick-shaped, but made to appeal to an entirely different Market Segment.

When we see a Porsche, we are supposed to say to ourselves "when I make it big, as I eventually will, I shall buy me one of those and make all my loser buddies eat their hearts out!" So we can't hate a Porsche driver, because someday we hope to BE one.

People who dislike Hummers basically dislike these guys, because the same guys also are thought to be gun nuts, guys who like to massacre innocent forest creatures and brag about it by hanging their hanging their heads on the wall, guy who deny global warming, listen to Rush and vote for Juniorbush. Cars are designed for a specific segment of the population, and Hummers are designed for guys who think they are Rambo, but could not for the life of them tie a square knot.

Of course, the actual individuals differ greatly from the Market Segment Stereotype, and so do the people who dislike them.

We are all constantly being taught to conform to Market Segment Stereotypes, and a person who succumbs to this manipulation is no more a bigot than someone who dislikes members of the opposing Market Segment Stereotype.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Cynthia

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2008, 12:47:27 AM »
Yes,oh and Hummers are ugly bastards, too. btw. BMW'S have a cute look, I think that shows my bigotry....I like  to look at nice.
 ::)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2008, 12:55:56 PM »
A Hummer is a man's car. It is supposed to be ugly. Essentially it is testosterone with 4 wheel drive, or 2 wheel drive pretending to be 4WD.

If a lawyer drives a BMW, it suggests that Mrs lawyer's opinions are sort of respected, at least.

A divorced divorce lawyer probably could enhance his image with a Hummer.

Hummer: the name says it all. Is a type of sex, but isn't really sex, and is easily purchased with minimal obligations to society.

Other fave car names of this sort: Cutlass  Cut L Ass. If you try to sell it to a woman, she can see the words 'cute ass'.
Toronado, Torino, Taurus seem to suggest Adult male bovines.

Why would Jeep have a model called the 'Limited'? Are not Jeeps supposed to be unlimited in their travel?

Chrysler took the Neon, the chick';s car par excellence and redid it as the Caliber, which is clearly NOT a chick car style or name. The name suggests  LARGE caliber, which sounds good for the guys, who value size but a large caliber woman is not an appealing concept to either sex, I suggest.

What was Chrysler thinking when they named a Dodge the Dynasty (Die Nasty)? Or Cadillac when they stuck the letters ETC on the back of their former Eldorado? (Eldorado Touring Coupe=ETC, supposedly). But etc just does not have any distinguished cache. Perhaps more than Ibid, or OpCit.

Finally Cadillac has realized that the age of their best customers was deceased, and they have been trolling for the BMW crowd with luxury performance. It seems most hearses, formerly Cadillacs, are now Lincolns. I imagine that this has something to do with the change of image.

I would say that KIA has done quite well with a name that is the abbreviation for Killed in Action.

Hyundai means "modern" in Korean, but suggests Hound Dawg, (faithful, perhaps uncostly) in English.

Take the favorite American car's name CHEVY and substiture the middle three letters for something that suggests America (AMR and what do you get? CAMRY. A bit of genius, I think.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Cynthia

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2008, 01:59:49 PM »
Xavier,
Very funny. You are clever, indeed. Yeah, that makes sense.....and Hummers....bird humming....nah...too sweet. Has to be a down and ugly tanker. Oh well, your analysis of the lawyer's choice of "ride" is spot on, btw. ha!

The Hummer is a sex word??..now that I hadn't heard. But, ok it makes sense. Spooning...now there's a term I learned only 7 years ago. ha!. ..hmmm guess one could find cute :-X meanings in all sorts of words.

(I am having lunch with my Linguistics Prof. today, I'll have to run some of these words by him today.  :o  But of course Linguists, for the most part, are rarely shocked. ha!)

Very fun read, XO. My favorite auto used to be the Honda Prelude in the early 80's. I have played many a Prelude by Chopin on the piano...so, when I owned my Silver Honda Prelude 1985 ... I loved that car...it was so damn pretty....I had a personalized license plate made for it. The "reflection plate"  was to represent my favorite Chopin piece..... from his OPUS 28. 
So, my plate read: OPUS 28. Who knew that even that would suggest "something else"...sheesh. Stopped at a red light on day, a group of young teen boys drove up next to me and asked...as they were chuckling...the meaning of OPUS 28. OH well...you can't win when it comes to the mind of a man....ha.

Here is a website I found on the topic/subject.....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16440606/

Among the ones that made us smile are the Daihatsu Motor Naked; Honda Life Dunk and That's; Isuzu GIGA 20 Light Dump and Mysterious Utility; Mazda Motor Bongo; Mitsubishi Delica Space Gear and Pistachio; Nissan Fairlady Z and Prairie Joy; Rickman Space Ranger; Rinspeed X-Dream; Suzuki Cappucino; Toyota Motor Deliboy and Toyopet; Volkswagen Thing and Volugrafo Bimbo. We think it's a shame that the Honda Life Dunk doesn't sell over here. Its goofy yet inspiring name would probably attract a fair number of buyers.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 02:01:55 PM by Cynthia »

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2008, 02:20:04 PM »
It involves defending those who are CLEARLY criminals, like Larry Craig

What criminal act did he commit?

The one he pled guilty to and was convicte of.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2008, 03:52:05 PM »

I wonder whether the constitutionality of that law has been tested.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2008, 05:08:03 PM »
What a crock!

Why?

Have you changed out all your incandescent lightbulbs?

Yes.
You trade in the van?

No.  I'd love to but I'm in a financial bind at this time.  Have you?

You install low flow water savers to your faucets and showers?

Do you carpool?

No.  But only drive to work and home each day in the Tracker.

Have you reinsulated your house?

Get back to me when you have, preacher boy.

Why is it that I have to be the purest of pure to call down those who are the most vile of the vile?

By your standards, because I ran over a dog once, I can't be a viable witness for a murder case if I see one committed.

Criminalization, my ass.

They rationed food in WWII.  Were those who continued eating lots and lots not criminals?

BTW since when did you want to criminalize homosexual behavior?
[/quote]

If it was him and his wife getting it on in a bathroom stall, they should receive the same sentence.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2008, 05:38:56 PM »
You trade in the van?

Don't have a a van. Last year i put less than 3000 miles on the Toyota.

You install low flow water savers to your faucets and showers?

Yes. The first kit is free at city hall. The second on are available at cost. I started that program.

Do you carpool?

No.  But only drive to work and home each day in the Tracker.

I telecommute.

Have you reinsulated your house?

Partially. One room at a time.

Meanwhile the thermostat is set to 52.

Why is it that I have to be the purest of pure to call down those who are the most vile of the vile?

By your standards, because I ran over a dog once, I can't be a viable witness for a murder case if I see one committed.

If you are going to talk the talk, at least walk the walk.

BTW since when did you want to criminalize homosexual behavior?

If it was him and his wife getting it on in a bathroom stall, they should receive the same sentence.[/quote]

He didn't get it on with anyone.

He was trolling, same as all the breeders at a singles bar.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2008, 05:41:02 PM »

ANYTHING UNDER 30 MPG SHOULD BE CRIMINALIZED IMMEDIATELY.  (Yes, including my Chevy Astro Van and my Geo Track.)

Block any new auto sales of anything under 30MPG TODAY and watch how fast they roll out the hybrids or even the compressed air cars.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2008, 07:59:53 PM »

I wonder whether the constitutionality of that law has been tested.

Apparently, the ACLU is attempting to help Larry Craig discover that.  Perhaps you should support the ACLU is you favor people having sex in the privacy of the public restroom booths.

I mean, Larry Craig DID plead guilty to that RIGHT?  Or is it part of the new conservative re-writing of history that Larry Craig somehow DIDN'T plead guilty?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2008, 08:28:23 PM »
Larry Craig never plead guilty to having sex in a public bathroom.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2008, 09:26:35 PM »
I once heard a comic monologe in which was pointed out that "Electra" was a pretty good name for a car , but the caricter Electra (the daughter of Odepus) was devoted to vengance ,and he suggested that "Vengance" would be an even better name for a car. He then suggested that the seven deadly sins would each make a good name for a car , except for "Sloth", which might not sell.