Author Topic: Recession?  (Read 13189 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Recession?
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2008, 09:04:27 PM »
And not so strangely it's the side who buys the Prious, who demands others drive what THEY deem appropriate.

Look, this is a dire situation.  It is EXACTLY the same and extremely comparable to small towns starting fire departments, sanitation departments, police departments. 

You don't have the personal freedom to "choose" to crap in the street every day because it destroys the environment, its' hazardous to peoples' health and its indecent.

You shouldn't have the personal freedom to use a vehicle to crap in the sky every day.  It's EXACTLY the same.

and on a related note, perhaps Ami has access to this info, but I heard the logistics of putting together and/or transporting Prius parts, especially the battery, cost much more in both fuel (that dreaded oil based gasoline) and shipping logistics, than a Hummer's parts & battery.  In otherwords, to save the world, the Prius destroys it.  Oh, the irony     :D

All the more reason to force the domestic auto industry to start building hybrids immediately.

And yes, I do mean FORCE as in regulate harshly and in possibly nationalize the auto industry.

Don't like it?  Move away, loser.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2008, 09:06:32 PM »
>>And an immediate government-sponsored effort in immediately deploying geothermal and wind power while it is feasible. Not ten years form now, but now.<<

Why government sponsored? Personally I don't trust the government to take care of my health, why would I trust them with my thermostat?  ;)

If there's money to be made, American comaponies will be there to make it.

This is more important than making a buck.  This is about public safety.

Would you like to have to pay for a personal police force?  Personal fire department?  Personal sherriff?

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2008, 09:08:30 PM »
I wasn't referring to a generic "nearly all container ships" or "container ship industry", Js.  I was referring to what I heard in that the making and specific shipping of Prius parts, espcially the battery, was FAR more expensive and "fuel burning" than that of the Hummer.  And there in lies the irony I was referring to

But thanks for the general info on Danish shipping

You know, even thinking of it that way, it STILL behooves us to use them because think of all the vehicles shipped here from other countries that DON'T conserve fuel.

Rich

« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2008, 11:02:38 PM »
>>By "government-sponosred, I meant "government incentives".<<

Aren't there already government incentives? I'm pretty sure you can get rebates and tax rebates for installing certain kinds of alternative energy sources in your home. The same is true for businesses I believe.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2008, 11:31:01 PM »
Rich -- they are pitiful incentives. I know, I recently expanded our home.

Tell you what: pay me a tax credit for half of a solar energy system and I'll purchase one tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 11:38:06 PM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Rich

« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2008, 11:37:17 PM »
>>Rich -- they are pitiful incentives. I know, I recently expandined our home.<<

Tell me, why should the government (me) pay you anything at all? Isn't saving money on your energy bill enough motivation? I've added insulation with no help from you. I've purchased more energy efficient windows with my own dough. Who decided that the government should subsidize this kind of thing anyway?

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2008, 11:39:04 PM »
>>Rich -- they are pitiful incentives. I know, I recently expandined our home.<<

Tell me, why should the government (me) pay you anything at all? Isn't saving money on your energy bill enough motivation? I've added insulation with no help from you. I've purchased more energy efficient windows with my own dough. Who decided that the government should subsidize this kind of thing anyway?

Then people generally will not do it --pretty simple math, actually.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Rich

« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2008, 11:41:57 PM »
>>Then people generally will not do it --pretty simple math, actually.<<

Why not? Because the government won't help them? Considering America today, that may have some truth to it however, people don't ask the government to pay for half of a new car or half of a new furnace or water heater. Do they?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2008, 11:43:32 PM »
Adding insulation to your attic or undefloor might actually make your house more comfortable .

If the government forbad it some people would do it anyway.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2008, 12:11:32 AM »

Why not? Because the government won't help them? Considering America today, that may have some truth to it however, people don't ask the government to pay for half of a new car or half of a new furnace or water heater. Do they?

Here is the deal. If America wants to import less foreign oil, then encouraging people to add insulation, more effcient heating/coolings systems, etc is a painless way to help. Since most people won't without some encouragement, why not help them by offeirng an incentive?

-- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2008, 12:27:58 AM »

Here is the deal. If America wants to import less foreign oil, then encouraging people to add insulation, more effcient heating/coolings systems, etc is a painless way to help. Since most people won't without some encouragement, why not help them by offeirng an incentive?

The natural move of the maret will produce some incentive by raiseing the price of fuel. Prognosticateing that this price will continue to rise is easy.
Does the public need the government to tell them anything?
Maybe , but perhaps not in this case.

Rich

« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2008, 11:33:07 AM »
I agree with Plane. Do people need mommy to tickle them behind the ears to motivate them, or are we adults? Are we capable of acting in our own best interest without being told by government?

I don't need incentive from the government to save money and do the right thing for the planet.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2008, 12:14:58 PM »
"I don't need incentive from the government to save money and do the right thing for the planet."

I am glad then you are such a great citizen, Rich, because I do. When I get a decent incentive, I'll od it. And I suspect I am not alone as is evidenced by the vast majority of folks who are NOT dramatically upgrading for energy saving.

I suspect it will stay this way until the Govt offers incentives, too.
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Rich

« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2008, 12:59:36 PM »
I never thought of it as being a good citizen. It's just what's best for me and mine.