Author Topic: Fred Thompson Out  (Read 2759 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Fred Thompson Out
« on: January 22, 2008, 08:12:29 PM »
Like it freaking matters because he was just a lazy good-for-nothing actor doing what his wife and the Clintons told him to do.

La-oo-sah-ER!

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0108/8039.html

Thompson bows out after weeks of rumors
By: Jonathan Martin and Mike Allen
January 22, 2008 07:07 PM EST

Three days after coming in a distant third in a South Carolina primary that he portrayed as a must-win, Fred Thompson abandoned his presidential bid Tuesday in much the same way he began it: his way.

In fittingly odd fashion, Thompson left the race through a brief statement e-mailed from his campaign office and said nothing publicly to the press or his supporters.

?Today I have withdrawn my candidacy for president of the United States,? Thompson said in the message. ?I hope that my country and my party have benefited from our having made this effort. Jeri and I will always be grateful for the encouragement and friendship of so many wonderful people.?

Thompson?s exit, in many ways, was as idiosyncratic as his entrance. He kept his supporters and potential supporters waiting for months over the summer as he mulled whether and then when to get into the race.

And he did the same since delivering an everything-but-withdrawal valedictory speech Saturday night in Columbia, S.C.

?He was not driven to do this,? said adviser Rich Galen, Thompson?s frequent travel companion, echoing something the candidate made abundantly clear in both his rhetoric and his decidedly unambitious campaign schedule. ?Either it was going to work on his terms, or it wasn?t going to work on his terms.?

It didn?t come close.

As his hopes cratered, the former Tennessee senator increasingly voiced his displeasure with a process he plainly loathed. Thompson?s stump speech became mostly a bitter expression of grievance against what was expected of him or any White House hopeful.

And the candidate?s unhappiness filtered down through aides and advisers, many of whom could barely stand to work for an unpredictable candidate who seemed to be hungry some days and barely driven on others.

The campaign became so dysfunctional that staffers just wanted it to be over so they could get on with their lives. After the South Carolina loss, staffers on the road said goodbye and began making other plans, knowing the campaign didn?t have the money or the spark to survive.

But the die was cast long before Thompson?s last gasp in the Palmetto State.

One outside adviser to the campaign was shocked to see the staff line up a schedule for a normal campaign day, then watch Thompson and his wife, Jeri, start removing events ? crossing out their chances at the same time.

A Republican who was very involved in the campaign ? and who greatly respects Thompson ? said it was hamstrung from the beginning by inadequate infrastructure and staffers who lacked national campaign experience. And all this was compounded by a laconic candidate.

Participants recalled that Jeri Thompson?s hands-on approach was invaluable when the campaign was germinating, and witnesses said he never would have run without her impetus. But as the campaign grew, her involvement created a bottleneck that made subordinates feel powerless and paralyzed whole departments, according to witnesses.

She clashed with Thompson?s initial set of advisers last summer, before he got in the race, and also butted heads with those who were later brought in.

?They had a wish and a desire to run for president and little else at the start,? said a Thompson friend who helped start the campaign. ?It was a perfect opportunity but we could not survive even one major mistake, and we made several.?

Among them, according to the friend: ?Fred was still playing Hamlet when he launched, and he took three months to limber up. He actually enjoyed it at the end, but it was too late.?

Mary Matalin, an adviser to Thompson's campaign, was among several supporters who said the party still needs someone who can unify it around "21st century conservatism" ? a quest that goes on. "Fred's candidacy was bigger than him," she said.

But given his diminished standing, Thompson?s decision won?t have a major impact on the GOP contest.

And advisers say he?s not likely to throw his support to any candidate anytime soon.

?I certainly don?t expect him to now or before Florida,? said Galen.

?You never say never, but I think he is disinclined to endorse,? added another longtime Thompson adviser who spoke on the condition of anonymity. ?He has not spoken with any campaign or other candidate.?

The truth is, as was the case with much of the campaign, Thompson?s aides and advisers aren?t exactly sure what he?ll do going forward.

Some of them expected him to drop out after going ?all in? at the Iowa caucus and then barely edging out John McCain for third place.

What is known is that Thompson was one of just four senators who got behind McCain in the Arizona senator?s 2000 bid.

And Thompson offered only the mildest criticism of his old friend in this campaign, even when it was clear McCain was the man to beat in South Carolina.

But an adviser pointed out that Thompson had just based much of his campaign on immigration, taxes and judges ? three issues on which McCain has been crosswise with the GOP base.

?How can Fred turn around and overlook all this?? asked this source.

Despite his poor finish and a campaign that never came close to living up to its early hype, Thompson did retain a degree of support in Florida. Two polls taken there before the South Carolina primary showed him at 7 percent.

So the Thompson?s most important legacy in shaping the race may then be exactly where those remaining ?Fred-heads? land.

Veteran GOP strategists in the Sunshine State all pointed to former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney as being a likely beneficiary ? but they also said that Thompson backers there would not move en masse to any one candidate.

?With Thompson out of the race and with [former Arkansas Gov. Mike] Huckabee focused on other Southern states, Romney is being viewed as the only viable conservative in a three-way race between Romney, McCain and [former New York Mayor Rudy] Giuliani,? said Brett Doster, who ran President Bush?s reelection in the state in 2004. He added that Giuliani and McCain are likely to split the moderate vote in the Republican-only primary.

David Johnson, a former executive director of the Florida GOP, also noted that the constituency to watch would be Thompson?s gun-owning backers.

?Where they go will be very important, as they are active and vote in primaries,? Johnson said.
One individual to watch is Bill Bunting, Johnson pointed out.

Chairman of the Republican Party of Pasco County ? in exurban Tampa ? Bunting is among the best known gun-rights advocates in the state. He was an early Thompson backer and arranged to have Thompson deliver the keynote speech to a major party dinner when the candidate launched his campaign on a bus tour around Florida in September.

?Where [Bunting] goes now will be a key with that vote bloc,? said Johnson.

Overall, though, Johnson said there would be no ?monolithic move? among former Thompson supporters.

?They?ll be split in some fashion between McCain, Mitt and Huck,? he said.

Rick Wilson, a Florida-based GOP ad man and Giuliani sympathizer, predicted that Romney would get his share of Thompson votes but that Giuliani would get some from those in the ranks of Republican activists who are more attracted to a tough-talking persona than to social issues.

?Many [voters] are looking for a strong leadership figure,? Wilson said.

Given his lack of funds and decision to downplay Florida, Huckabee will draw fewer Thompson votes than he otherwise may have, Wilson added.

For Thompson?s campaign, the diminished status of Huckabee may be the only vindication in an otherwise disaster of a race.

Thompson had little regard for his fellow Southerner and enjoyed perhaps his best moment of the campaign at a debate in South Carolina two weeks ago when he unloaded on Huckabee and portrayed him as a liberal.

And on Saturday, when the votes were counted, it was clear that Thompson?s last-minute stumping in the Palmetto State had taken away from Huckabee?s vote share and allowed McCain to edge out the Arkansan.

Explaining what went wrong, Galen acknowledged the ?rocky start? and conceded that the campaign ?didn?t have the capacity to push back against the ?lazy/doesn?t want to do it/is being pushed by others? rap.?

But what sealed it, Galen said, was that Huckabee took Thompson?s place in the race toward the end of last year.

?When Huck got hot, there wasn?t enough room for both of us,? said Galen. ?And now I suspect there is nothing for either of us.?

TM & ? THE POLITICO & POLITICO.COM, a division of Allbritton Communications Company

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
Re: Fred Thompson Out
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 08:52:17 PM »
Excellent news!
Seemed like a good conservative,
but had the personality and excitability of a stump.
We need a winner and Fred wouldn't have been that.
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 09:45:12 PM »
Excellent news!

Who would you be supporting at this point?

Hillary or Giuliani?

Rich

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 10:57:17 PM »
>>We need a winner and Fred wouldn't have been that.<<

I think he could have been. I'll never understand why he waited so long to get into the race. He's probably the only real conservative of the bunch.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 11:38:52 PM »
Fred is dead.

The big problem is could not write a decent speech, nor could he recognize one written by a staffer. The old guy is tall, but he's not going to make on his looks, so he has to use his best feature, which is his voice. But he really did not have anything inspiring to say. If he had given just one good speech, he'd have gotten a lot of money and he would have had some sort of chance. The country is stuffed with rich bastards who long for another Reagan. But he was one thing that Reagan was not, and that is lazy.

He had the potential for being a second Reagan, but he lacked the gumption.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 11:41:35 PM »
"Who would you be supporting at this point? -Hillary or Giuliani?"

I have supported Mitt Romney from Day 1

http://mitt-tv.mittromney.com/?showid=115476

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 11:58:55 PM »
Are you likely to change your sig to Jesus' Brother Satan 4 Less Government. then?

Mormons are not exactly 'Christians' in the usual sense of the word, and the bureaucracy of the LDS Church is a really huge affair.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 02:38:31 PM »
"Are you likely to change your sig to Jesus' Brother Satan 4 Less Government. then?
Mormons are not exactly 'Christians' in the usual sense of the word, and the bureaucracy
of the LDS Church is a really huge affair"

XO I vote for a person if I agree with most of their stances on the issuses
and not on a candidate's personal choice of which demnomination he/she belongs to.
A candidate's personal religious choice is not a deciding factor for me.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »
and not on a candidate's personal choice of which demnomination he/she belongs to.
===================================================================================
I was not talking about you or your choices. I was referring to the fact that Mormonism has a vast aray of beliefs that can only be described as illogical, wacky and off the wall. Standard Christioanity probably has as many, but they are based on the Bible, which despite being chock full of illogical, wacky and off the wall stuff in it, people believe that it is the Holy Word of God Awmighty.

When the people who are 'good Christians' are faced with choosing someone that belongs to an entirely conventional version of Christianity (such as that of Obama of Hillary) and a bit of a cult that believes that 'seer stones' can translate ancient Chaldean straight to King James Bible English, that one should wear strange-looking and holy underwear, and follow a couple of guys who had several dozen wives, well, they might just choose Hilary or Obama.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 03:32:39 PM »
I was not talking about you or your choices.

Then you should make yourself more clear because it certainly looks as though you were.

I was referring to the fact that Mormonism has a vast aray of beliefs that can only be described as illogical, wacky and off the wall.

As do most religions and translations of religions.

Standard Christioanity probably has as many, but they are based on the Bible, which despite being chock full of illogical, wacky and off the wall stuff in it, people believe that it is the Holy Word of God Awmighty.

When the people who are 'good Christians' are faced with choosing someone that belongs to an entirely conventional version of Christianity (such as that of Obama of Hillary) and a bit of a cult that believes that 'seer stones' can translate ancient Chaldean straight to King James Bible English, that one should wear strange-looking and holy underwear, and follow a couple of guys who had several dozen wives, well, they might just choose Hilary or Obama.

I think you are just scared shitless of Mitt Romney and you are using gutter politics
and hate to try to attack him. You should be ashamed of yourself but I doubt you
you are capable of shame in your blind intolerance and hatred of those who come to 
different political conclusions.

yellow_crane

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 03:58:52 PM »
===================================================================================
I was not talking about you or your choices. I was referring to the fact that Mormonism has a vast aray of beliefs that can only be described as illogical, wacky and off the wall. Standard Christioanity probably has as many, but they are based on the Bible, which despite being chock full of illogical, wacky and off the wall stuff in it, people believe that it is the Holy Word of God Awmighty.

Actually, the Mormon doctrine was constructed by pilfering tracts from various sources which right wing christianity, and that certainly includes the increasingly right wing catholic church, now suggest are "satanic."

Since there are no preachers or ministers per se, the power structure is a pyramidal one, and that upward-mobility grid is lifted straight from the Masonic Lodge--there are thirty-two degrees in the Masonic structure, and there are thirty-two "stations" of Elders.

One other note:  much has been said about the Mormon Church opening up its doors after decades of pressure from civil rights organizations and civil rights-minded people to allow Blacks to enroll.  This is somewhat entirely hypocritical, since the dogma of the church is based on the history of a great schism; poster portrayals of this history were once displayed in Denver mall; one side, finally prevailing in the protracted war against evil, was peopled only by Whites, the defeated, by Blacks.  

And that which was "opened up" to Blacks in terms of membership was limited to the first degree--they cannot rise above that initial level.

Today, the Mormon Church is more a corporation than a church, and the control of the constituency is much like that personnel control of corporations--what to say, what to wear, who to vote for, who to not be identified with (a biggie); keep one thing in mind, when you cross over the line into the corporation you work for, you forfeit all civil rights--freedom of speech, freedom to assemble, freedom to dissent, etc.  The same in true for becoming a Mormon.  

The Latter Day Saints also have the most aggressive missionary programs extant.   They have replaced the Catholic Jesuits as precursors sent to establish the "common good (natural resources, or, to use a still valid metaphor--Gold)" for the coffers of their 'corporate brotherhood.'

The corporation that Romney used to make millions upon millions was almost exclusively a leverage buy-out firm, which means they bought up corporations, sold off the goods, and left hundreds of thousands without jobs.  Romney and this firm were compared--very effectively, I might add--to the fictional Gordon Gecko of Stone's movie "Wall Street" recently on an NPR interview.  They also stated several instances where off shore accounts set up by this firm permitted them to pay virtually zip taxes.

Should Romney prevail in this election, you soon may have only a shell of a nation, and Washington DC may well become a for-profit theme park for tourists, using our sacred monuments as arcane display pieces.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 05:16:46 PM »
I did not say that Mitt Romney believed all this stuff, and I am not sure that it would make a lot of difference if the president of the US did in fact believe in Urim, Thummin and wore holy longjohns, but if he is the nominee, it will all come out, and he will lose as a result. I am merely telling you what will happen.

There will be a lot of interest in what Mormons actually DO believe, just as there would if a Scientologist were running for president. Time or Newsweek or US News will run an issue with "the Mormons: what ARE their beliefs?" and people, being curious, will read it. Some of the wackier fundie fanatics might ask if Mitt is inndeed the Antichrist. I doubt that the Democratic candidate will even bring it up.

Do not blame the messenger just because you don't like the message.

I am not scared shitless of any soul, least of all Mitt Romney and NOTHING could be worse than Juniorbush and Cheney.The GOP will be punished for their incompetence, stupidity and deceit.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 05:25:29 PM »
See how much stuff Crane has come up with, and he is not even any sort of religious fundie.

My sister worked for TWA (Trans World Airlines, in the event you have forgotten) for thirty years, in the office in data storage and retrieval, and as a supervisor at the overhaul base.

A corporate raider named Carl Icahn bought a controlling interest in the airline, sold off its assets, its buildings and its planes and cut everyone's salary several times. When Icahn sold TWA is was a mere shell of what it had been, one of the largest airlines in the US, and it muddled on for about three years until what was left (mostly routes: the planes were all leased) by American. After four more years, the overhaul base in KC was cut down to a very few bays and everyone was thrown out of work.

Now in the Kansas City area, there are thousands of people in their forties and fifties who are struggling to get by on less than half of what the earned before.

I know that if Carl Icahn was running for anything, there is no way I could ever be persuaded to vote for his ancient wrinkly ass.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 05:29:34 PM »
  Mitt Romney may loose , but it will be a shame to us all if the reason is religious bigotry.

Hillary Clinton may loose, but it will be a shame to us all if the reason is misogany.

Barack Obama may loose ,but it will be a shame to us all if the reason is racism.

John McCain may loose, but it will be a shame to us all if the reason is age discrimination.

Rudy Guliani may loose , but it will be a shame to us all if the reason is distrust of Yankees.

Mike Huckabee may loose and we are back to the shame of religious bigotry.

It is too bad they can't all win , it seems that no matter which we choose each and all of the loosers will prove us bigots.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 05:37:23 PM »
See how much stuff Crane has come up with, and he is not even any sort of religious fundie.

Then again, not all of what Crane has come up with true; but I'll leave it our ever-faithful pooch to elaborate on that.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)