Author Topic: Fred Thompson Out  (Read 2754 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Fred Thompson Out
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 05:47:05 PM »
No matter who wins or loses, it will be for a vast array of reasons, some logical, some not.
It really doesn't matter in the long run.
We will need to consider who has been elected and how to make the best of it and proceed forward.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

yellow_crane

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 06:32:55 PM »

Pooch has previously denied or minimized things about the Mormon Church that I know are true.   I challenge you to go back and read his reactions--they are mostly sticky with victimness.  I know a lot of Mormons, grew up with Mormons, and I produce no spin in their favor.  Beyond that, I could extole many of their virtues, and the Mormons I know know that I have.

Don't call me a liar, you fucking molecule-counter--I will kick your across clear across Texas.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 07:07:41 PM »
Pooch has previously denied or minimized things about the Mormon Church that I know are true.

I know several of them to be untrue as well - and I probably know more Mormons than you do. I dare say they are more open to me than to you, since I don't spew venom about people with strong faith as you tend to do.

Don't call me a liar, you fucking molecule-counter--I will kick your across clear across Texas.

I'd like to see that. I also love how you are free to call others liars, yet try to deny others the possibility of doing the same with you.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 08:03:57 PM »
XO I vote for a person if I agree with most of their stances on the issuses
and not on a candidate's personal choice of which demnomination he/she belongs to.
A candidate's personal religious choice is not a deciding factor for me.
===================================================================================
I was not talking about you or your choices. I was referring to the fact that Mormonism has a vast aray of beliefs that can only be described as illogical, wacky and off the wall. Standard Christioanity probably has as many, but they are based on the Bible, which despite being chock full of illogical, wacky and off the wall stuff in it, people believe that it is the Holy Word of God Awmighty.

When the people who are 'good Christians' are faced with choosing someone that belongs to an entirely conventional version of Christianity (such as that of Obama of Hillary) and a bit of a cult that believes that 'seer stones' can translate ancient Chaldean straight to King James Bible English, that one should wear strange-looking and holy underwear, and follow a couple of guys who had several dozen wives, well, they might just choose Hilary or Obama.

Ah, come on now, XO, you KNOW you would have a dozen wives too if you could afford it, in vitality: fiancially and sexually.  :o
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 08:14:10 PM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 08:07:55 PM »

Pooch has previously denied or minimized things about the Mormon Church that I know are true.   I challenge you to go back and read his reactions--they are mostly sticky with victimness.  I know a lot of Mormons, grew up with Mormons, and I produce no spin in their favor.  Beyond that, I could extole many of their virtues, and the Mormons I know know that I have.

Or put him on that UFO?
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 08:09:38 PM »

Meethinks, however, that I also detect a little racism/bigotry/hatredf/mistrust in there, Crane about being black and the Mormon Church, racism or bitry from you, or did I detect incorrectly? And, I am lead to understand they now allow blacks at ALL levels of thier weird church hierachy.
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 08:10:46 PM »

Real low class, dude. I bet you have an old sofa on your front porch, too. What, no one-armed salute, too?
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 09:18:53 PM »
Ah, come on now, XO, you KNOW you would have a dozen wives too if you could afford it, in vitality: fiancially and sexually. 

The kneejerk reaction would be to agree with you there, Prof; but, I've been seeing that Big Love show lately on HBO and lemme tell ya, it wouldn't be for me.

The reason is for every one of the positives of being married that would be multiplied by each additional wife, there are still some of the reasons for NOT being married that are ALSO multiplied by each additional wife.

Imagine having three wives who all agree that you've made mistake or been, oh so insensitive, that's three cold shoulders and three turned backs and three burned dinners and three fingers pointing to the couch.

And let's not even get into the trebling of offspring.  Oy gevalt!  Oy GESTalt!

No thank you ma'am!

yellow_crane

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 09:44:51 PM »

Meethinks, however, that I also detect a little racism/bigotry/hatredf/mistrust in there, Crane about being black and the Mormon Church, racism or bitry from you, or did I detect incorrectly? And, I am lead to understand they now allow blacks at ALL levels of thier weird church hierachy.

If you detect it, point it out and be specific. 

Put your finger on it.

Explain where you see me being racist, or bigotted, or hateful, or mistrusting when the issue of the Mormon Church and racism--a hugely established opinion in America--is the issue at hand in the thread.

Any thread regarding the issue of Mormonism and their actions interpreted as racism (No Admittance due to doctrinal fealty) is a valid argument in the political arena, and your three responses are mere shaming dismissals you apparently think will pass as argument.  Who are you playing to, and who is buying you?

Explain how I am being racist, and leave out the breathless umbrage you limp to profit from.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 10:15:06 PM »
Hmm, where to start? Well, you bring up the issue, no one lese did, of blacks bering admitted. Why? No one mentioned race. Then, you mention they can only be at the lowest levels. Simply not true. I believe you mentioned race in coonection with thme earlier, but I do not, okay, I am not willing to go back and locate it. That's enough anyway.

As far as being "bought", I do not think so. I am NOT a member of that church; nor do I agree at all with their false ideology. I think they have some admirable policies like being very pro-family and such, but theiy are not really a "Chrisitian" faith as their view of Christ and the Trinity differs from standard Christian ideology, which I happen to adhere to.
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D