Author Topic: Cloverfield  (Read 7375 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cloverfield
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 05:53:45 PM »
I have about a billion favorite movies and a lot of ones I love are other peoples' lists here but here goes.

Magnolia (only good thing that Tom Cruise has ever been in and PT Anderson is a genius [Jason Robards has one of the all time most believable and heartbreaking scenes/monologues in the history of film])

Citizen Kane (is an explanation really necessary?)

Amadeus (Hits a little too close to home at times)

The Royal Tannenbaums (funny and heartwarming)

Unforgiven (Eastwood will never top it and it really does have a great message about violence)

The Matrix (karate, science fiction AND philosophy?  I love it)

Let It Ride (Richard Dreyfus movie that no one has really seen but I love the story of a loser finally getting to win)

Field of Dreams (chick movie for guys; see also Jerry Macguire [2nd best thing Cruise has ever done])

JFK (Amazing performances from all involved and the most complex yet comprehensible editing in modern film, not to mention is helps breaking the case)

Parenthood (should be required viewing for anyone who can or does have children [another great scene with Jason Robards])

No Country For Old Men (I've seen it twice and want to see it again)

Shakespear In Love (every time I read or hear anything about Gwynyth Paltrow I want to ralph but she is amazing in this and this is the best written movie in about twenty years because it draws on the bard's writings as well as zings Hollywood)

Gone With The Wind (Hello?)

I could go on and on but I won't.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 07:06:04 PM »
I was looking forward to seeing this movie since i saw a trailer about four months ago. I went by myself because my 18-year-old is to cool to be seen with his Dad at the movies anymore, and he said the movie wasn't any good. Well, I'll make up my own mind, so I when.

I left after an hour.

I don't get sea sick. I'm not afraid of heights, and I don't get car sick. However, the constant movement of the camera was too much for me. I actually felt queasy. I tried to tough it out but I finally decided that there was nothing in this movie worth getting sick over.

Even without the constant movement of the camera, I give this movie one star.

I'm not trying to be a contrarian (REALLY!), but I went to see CLOVERFIELD and I'm sorry Rich but this is the best horror/sci/fi film I've enjoyed for a really long time.

Yes, at first, I was a little queasy with the whip pans and jerkiness of the handheld camera work and stuff but once the ride started, I was completely and utterly hooked. 

When it got to the end, I was like, "WHAT?!?!  Its' over already?!!?  DANG!"

It really is based on the whole "not-seeing-the-monster-MUCH" angle but I was really scared a few times.

Some of the imagery and scenes sort of played on 9.11 and I didn't care for that because that is still really raw for and it wasn't the kind of scared I like in my movie experience but that didn't last long.

What I really liked was how when there was fantastical stuff happening, it didn't look fake or CGI even though it had to be.

I highly recommend it.

Rich

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 12:22:08 PM »
>>I'm not trying to be a contrarian (REALLY!), but I went to see CLOVERFIELD and I'm sorry Rich but this is the best horror/sci/fi film I've enjoyed for a really long time.<<

I would have loved to see it. I have never walked out on a movie before in my life. It's a movie made fore me ... Godzilla? Hell yes. Maybe I won't have the same problem when it comes out on DVD.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 02:24:55 PM »
have you seen blair witch on dvd?

It`ll probly help the jitteryness

It is a pretty good monster movie
just I also had trouble with the camcorder format

Rich

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 04:29:23 PM »
Yes, I saw Blair Witch without any problem. Other than the movie stunk that is.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 04:55:53 PM »
Other than the movie stunk that is.

I`m curious
I think only non-monster movie fans like blair witch
I notice monster fan call it the boring witch project
do you think it`s boring?
i never saw it

Rich

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 05:28:16 PM »
Yes, I found it quite boring. It's been a while since I saw it, but I recall being disappointed in the ending as well.

Give me a good zombie movie anytime!

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 06:39:15 PM »
My favorite is when the head says "more passion"
horror & comedy
did not expect that in a lovecraft  movie.

check out planet terror from grindhouse
fun flick to watch
I like deathproof  also