Author Topic: Hell Freezes Over.......  (Read 2282 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Hell Freezes Over.......
« on: January 25, 2008, 08:25:21 PM »
This from my old buddy Jayc28 at his blog:

10 years ago, you couldn?t get me to vote for a Democrat and now I am on the verge of supporting Barack Obama. It?s not because I see eye to eye on him politically. For the most part, I don?t. But we?re in a time where we need a shake-up in Washington DC. Nobody on the Republican side will do the trick and neither will Hillary.

Knutey

Re: Hell Freezes Over.......
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 08:33:38 PM »
This from my old buddy Jayc28 at his blog:

10 years ago, you couldn?t get me to vote for a Democrat and now I am on the verge of supporting Barack Obama. It?s not because I see eye to eye on him politically. For the most part, I don?t. But we?re in a time where we need a shake-up in Washington DC. Nobody on the Republican side will do the trick and neither will Hillary.

Looks like Jayboy picked up some good sense along with those extra pounds he has packed on.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 08:50:44 PM »
...neither will Hillary.

Good to know he's still brilliant.

Rich

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 09:57:38 PM »
While I don't see myself voting for a democrat, I may not vote for a Republican.

I understand Jay's pain, but voting for Obama? He must be joking.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 10:04:35 PM »
I think he is dissatisfied with the entire spectrum of candidates and probably looking at his kids getting older and wondering what kind of world they will grow into. I doubt it is Obama as much as it is a general unease.

Change is coming. What shape it takes, who knows.

Rich

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 10:10:15 PM »
I don't know. I think the change we're seeing in the Republican Party will be rejected. I don't believe any of the potential Republican nominees can win in the general. After they lose, Republicans will realize that we can't win being democrat lite.

Which is what Jay is thinking too ... imo

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 10:15:57 PM »
Maybe he will pop in and clarify.

Strange to think we have been at this close to 10 years.

Rich

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 10:21:22 PM »
10 years ... with short intermissions.

I remember finding the original ... what was it? Politically Incorrect Cafe .... and chicky had a place .... and there was The Spin Cycle ...

Anyway ... I was in Florida ... and Tennessee, and now Ohio ... you sure its only been 10 years?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 10:41:41 PM »
I joined yahoo chat the day the Lewinsky scandal broke,  January 17, 1998

jayc28

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 01:11:47 AM »
I see Knute is still as classy as ever. Cmon Knute, call me a 'rat fink Republican' for old time's sake!  ;D

As for the whole Barack Obama thing, it would provide a shake-up in Washington that is sorely needed. Don't get me wrong, if Hillary is the nominee, I'll do what it takes to make sure the Republican candidate wins. I don't want her getting anywhere near the White House.

But McCain, Romney and Huckabee? That's the best the GOP can do? It's pathetic.

A win by Obama would send shockwaves through DC. It would be the start of a new era where hopefully we'll start getting rid of the fossils who have completely lost touch with what it is like to live outside of DC.

10 years......wow.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 02:06:36 AM »
I agree we are on the cusp of a generational thing. Where that gets us , who knows.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 02:09:55 AM by BT »

modestyblase

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 02:17:08 AM »
I think we are on the cusp of a generational thing.

I've been considering this election, recently, in that vein as well. Prior to the internets-as-communication-device-explosion, which was post-1996, the last democrat victory(all hemming and hawing over supreme court presidential appointments aside), it was evident that the support of the Southern Democrats was necessary to win in an election, and correct me if I'm wrong but all winners since around Wilson's time were southerners and/or had the overwhelming support of the Southern Democrats. The only exception was JFK, and he was savvy enough to have LBJ as his running mate because of that fact.

I've been saying for some time now that there is /no way/ that the Hildebeast or Obama will get the overwhelming support of Southern Dems. Even Sam Nunn, who the Southern Dems listen to as if he were Jesus, has kept quiet in endorsing a democrat. But is any of that a factor anymore, given that voters-particularly the youth vote-will look less to endorsements and more to the media and the internet for their information?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 02:31:27 AM »
I think Obama has a better chance in the South than Hillary. Tomorrow in SC will speak volumes.

modestyblase

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 02:52:30 AM »
http://www.peoplenewspapers.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=0DC0ACBC546640A5A35C2882881EA4CB&AudID=DA7D68F24889442D98449D08560D8327

I'm not so certain, but we'll see. I know in the richest zip codes in Texas, as of a few months ago, Giuliani had the most money for republicans(ecch)and Edwards followed in second place.
My dayjob is a strategist and I work on a project-basis with the government frequently. I've yet to encounter too many dems in Texas who really believe in Barak or the Hildebeast.

I will say this, though: there is a LOT of guilt-tripping going on the current democratic party primaries. No matter the state I am in, when a Hillary or Barak supporter finds out I back Edwards they begin to try to play on "white guilt" or "liberal guilt" to try to appeal for their candidate. THANKFULLY I was raised in a secular household by socially liberal, fiscally conservative wasp's, so I feel no guilt  :P  ::)

I don't think Hillary or Obama could cause a "shake-up" in DC, as evidenced by their http://tpmelectioncentral.com/2007/03/compare_and_contrast_hillary_and_obamas_votes_on_iraq.php voting records.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 03:25:06 AM »
Is Edwards still running?