Author Topic: Some Political Ruminations  (Read 11995 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Some Political Ruminations
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2008, 08:42:03 AM »

Who but the administrators and teachers "teach to the test" and adjust curriculum to game the system?

What is their motivation?

I believe the motivation is to get better test scores so the school gets a good rating in the NCLB system. And so far the results are less than unimpressive.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2008, 09:24:30 AM »
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=brazils-option-for-science-education

The answer is straightforward: systemic high-quality education, disseminated to reach the entire territory, including the most remote and impoverished communities of this vast country, so that all Brazilians can acquire the means to become creative and critical thinkers, capable of developing their own opinions and becoming true contributors to solve the challenges involved in constructing a fair and democratic society.

Three tenets serve as the main foundations of the Brazilian Plan for the Development of Education (PDE): systemic, territorial and empowering education. Enacted by the current administration, this plan outlines a broad range of executive measures aimed at rescuing the quality, reach and long-term impact of the Brazilian education system.

I like that they have decided what it is they want from their education , the goals are clear.

Cynthia

« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2008, 11:31:43 AM »

The answer is straightforward: systemic high-quality education, disseminated to reach the entire territory, including the most remote and impoverished communities of this vast country, so that all Brazilians can acquire the means to become creative and critical thinkers, capable of developing their own opinions and becoming true contributors to solve the challenges involved in constructing a fair and democratic society.

Three tenets serve as the main foundations of the Brazilian Plan for the Development of Education (PDE): systemic, territorial and empowering education. Enacted by the current administration, this plan outlines a broad range of executive measures aimed at rescuing the quality, reach and long-term impact of the Brazilian education system.

I like that they have decided what it is they want from their education , the goals are clear.

"By bringing their vision, efforts and experience together, the Brazilian government, through the Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte, and the ELS-IINN have partnered to establish the Natal Campus of the Brain and to use this multidisciplinary, scientific-social initiative to launch the Alberto Santos-Dumont Science Education Program for Children. The goal of this initiative is to enroll one million children from the public school system nationwide in the most comprehensive science and technology education program in Brazilian history."

Sure, Plane...look at the support Brazilians are willing to provide in terms the synergy of partnering---sans the threats, punitive actions. I have yet read anything of the latter. Perhaps there's more to the story, but so far I read that this country has taken the bull by the horns with a clear and focused goal for children in the arena of quality science education.
That slippery slope of demanding scores rise with no caution to what districts will to do to get there is coming to fruition in many districts across the country. Like I said, NCLB had/and possibly has potential but on the ground floor, on the front lines, I see first hand that it is not necessarily all about substandard teaching...... but an unbalanced approach and a flawed system ---NCLB.

Cynthia

« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2008, 11:33:19 AM »

Who but the administrators and teachers "teach to the test" and adjust curriculum to game the system?

What is their motivation?

I believe the motivation is to get better test scores so the school gets a good rating in the NCLB system. And so far the results are less than unimpressive.

I thought the motivation was to educate all children. Impressive results take time, as well. We are given a small window of time, and even less funding. But, by darn on paper, the president "thinks" we are on the right track. He's not listening to his American People, it seems.  Perhaps Obama will.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 11:36:55 AM by Cynthia »

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2008, 12:14:49 PM »
I thought the motivation was to educate all children. Impressive results take time, as well. We are given a small window of time, and even less funding. But, by darn on paper, the president "thinks" we are on the right track. He's not listening to his American People, it seems.  Perhaps Obama will.

OK, this is all getting a bit silly.

The way NCLB works is this:

The first year a school gets below par scores, the school board is mandated to INCREASE their funding to achieve better scores.

This is repeated a second year.

After the THIRD year, the school board is mandated to remove under-performing teachers in addition to increasing funding.

So, it's not like NCLB doesn't give you time and money to fix problems...
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Cynthia

« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2008, 12:18:47 PM »

OK, this is all getting a bit silly.

The way NCLB works is this:

The first year a school gets below par scores, the school board is mandated to INCREASE their funding to achieve better scores.

This is repeated a second year.

After the THIRD year, the school board is mandated to remove under-performing teachers in addition to increasing funding.

So, it's not like NCLB doesn't give you time and money to fix problems...

You're wrong, Ami.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2008, 12:19:56 PM »
You're wrong, Ami.

I've read the bill; have you?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Cynthia

« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2008, 12:21:28 PM »
Reading the bill doesn't mean that it is working!
Yes, I have read the bill. I am talking about the time constraints within our school day. The funding for the NCLB is weak at best.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 12:24:06 PM by Cynthia »

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2008, 12:25:30 PM »

"By bringing their vision, efforts and experience together, the Brazilian government, through the Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte, and the ELS-IINN have partnered to establish the Natal Campus of the Brain and to use this multidisciplinary, scientific-social initiative to launch the Alberto Santos-Dumont Science Education Program for Children. The goal of this initiative is to enroll one million children from the public school system nationwide in the most comprehensive science and technology education program in Brazilian history."

Sure, Plane...look at the support Brazilians are willing to provide in terms the synergy of partnering---sans the threats, punitive actions. I have yet read anything of the latter. Perhaps there's more to the story, but so far I read that this country has taken the bull by the horns with a clear and focused goal for children in the arena of quality science education.
That slippery slope of demanding scores rise with no caution to what districts will to do to get there is coming to fruition in many districts across the country. Like I said, NCLB had/and possibly has potential but on the ground floor, on the front lines, I see first hand that it is not necessarily all about substandard teaching...... but an unbalanced approach and a flawed system ---NCLB.

I am the first to saw I am not thoroughly knowledgable in this arena so let me offer some naive assessments and questions.

First, may I assume the punitive measures you speak of were put into place BECAUSE the U.S. educational system did not produce enough knowledgeable students? This is similar to managed care now and the the upcoming national socialized medicine system that was caused, primarily, because physicians cannot poloice themselves.

Second, isn't the primary bone of contention surrounding NCLB that it penalizes school sysstems who do not meet annual goals. Isn't it reasonable to expect reasonable goals be achieved? Perhaps it is really the issue of who sets these reasonable goals? Ok, who does? Perhaps a more reasonable approach should be pursued toward this setting of reasonable goals?
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2008, 12:26:43 PM »
How would increased funding alleviate time constraints?

Increasing the length of the school day or year round schooling are not part of the scope of NCLB, nor should it be.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2008, 12:27:21 PM »
Reading the bill doesn't mean that it is working!

If you've read the bill, tell me what part of my description is incorrect.

Cynthia

« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2008, 12:27:56 PM »
I posted the information about that a day or so ago, Professor. See the example of the High School's 'grade' of exemplary and yet still not meeting AYP.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2008, 12:28:53 PM »
Ok, does it sya who sets these goals? Why can't local officials?
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Cynthia

« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2008, 12:30:20 PM »
How would increased funding alleviate time constraints?

Increasing the length of the school day or year round schooling are not part of the scope of NCLB, nor should it be.

No, I am speaking about the mandates we receive to teach literacy for 120 minutes, math for 120 minutes and then find the time to teach science etc. I was replying to Plane's post on Brazilian schools in terms of science ed. As it stands now, we don't have that window to teach such things because the NCLB has demanded that we spend "X" amount of hours on only the core subjects. That's how it has trickled down.

Cynthia

« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2008, 12:31:46 PM »
Ok, does it sya who sets these goals? Why can't local officials?

Local officials set these goals...based on teh national officials set these goals.....

NCLB act.

Not a polished act. ..could be a great act....I tend to agree with the premise.