Author Topic: Some Political Ruminations  (Read 11992 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Some Political Ruminations
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2008, 12:32:57 PM »
Ok, does it sya who sets these goals? Why can't local officials?

Yes, it says who sets the goals; state education boards with input from the local school boards.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Cynthia

« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2008, 12:34:12 PM »
Reading the bill doesn't mean that it is working!

If you've read the bill, tell me what part of my description is incorrect.

It's not incorrect. The devil is in the details on the front lines, the actual proof in the NCLB pudding, Ami.

Funding is not there. period. NOt enough, that is.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2008, 12:39:11 PM »
No, I am speaking about the mandates we receive to teach literacy for 120 minutes, math for 120 minutes and then find the time to teach science etc. I was replying to Plane's post on Brazilian schools in terms of science ed. As it stands now, we don't have that window to teach such things because the NCLB has demanded that we spend "X" amount of hours on only the core subjects. That's how it has trickled down.

What was the schedule prior to NCLB?

Cynthia

« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2008, 12:42:07 PM »
Ok, does it sya who sets these goals? Why can't local officials?

Yes, it says who sets the goals; state education boards with input from the local school boards.

Yes, all stemming from the NCLB act. We are one of the lucky ones. In Ohio recently an entire staff was fired(with the option to reapply) because of test scores. Each state is different, obviously.

Cynthia

« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2008, 12:44:08 PM »
No, I am speaking about the mandates we receive to teach literacy for 120 minutes, math for 120 minutes and then find the time to teach science etc. I was replying to Plane's post on Brazilian schools in terms of science ed. As it stands now, we don't have that window to teach such things because the NCLB has demanded that we spend "X" amount of hours on only the core subjects. That's how it has trickled down.

What was the schedule prior to NCLB?

I have posted that before, but I will again.

We were able to teach literacy, mathematics, writing, language arts, music, art, social studies, science, bi lingual ed.....in the 6 hour day. Currently, our district has chosen to water down or not teach  S.S and SCi. not to mention art, music and bi lingual ed. ... ....because of such mandates. We are giving kids two hours a week of Physical ed. that's a good thing. obesity in children...,but their minds are being fed with one way curriculum...the way of the government.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 12:46:17 PM by Cynthia »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2008, 12:47:40 PM »
What specifically is covered when you teach literacy?

Cynthia

« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2008, 12:51:11 PM »
What specifically is covered when you teach literacy?

Phonics drill, reading as a whole class instead of on an individual basis, perhaps one or two areas in language arts....suffixes...
It's a scripted program Houghton Mifflin. Takes the entire time. We aren't to ask questions of the kids. We are to TELL them what a vocabulary word means, and move on.
I don't alway hold true to that. I have taught too many years...I allow for thinking and discussion...and I also set a time away for those who can't read the book on level...and there are going to be at least 5 in a room of 20, to read to me on a one to one basis.
Differentiated instruction, it's called.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2008, 12:54:09 PM »
Perhaps I have not keep as lcose a track in this thread as I could becuase I still see that NCLB occured becuase school systems were not successful in what they do. If that occurs, SOMETHING wil lfil lthat voacuum whether it is government or business sectors.

People complained and this Act came about. It does seem flawed but is there something better, e.g. something that will assure school systems do their job? As far as funding, if the funding isn't there, then perhaps a SPLOST is in order?
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2008, 12:54:48 PM »
So the problem is with the script and not the concept and intentions of NCLB?

Who chose Houghton Mifflin to be your curriculum vendor?

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2008, 12:59:20 PM »
Ok, substitute Abeka then. I used that when I homeschooled my daughter. I was very satisfied.

The problem is that whatever text you use, it doesn't mean much if the instruction is deficient in some way, correct?
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2008, 01:05:46 PM »

No part of the NCLB act mandates time requirements for teaching any subject.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2008, 01:07:38 PM »
Funding is not there. period. NOt enough, that is.

Funding is defined in the act. The state is required to set aside a portion of the (increased) federal funds to allocate to poorly performing schools. If this is not enough, then federal grants are also allocated in the act to supplement this funding.

Cynthia

« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2008, 02:15:15 PM »
Perhaps I have not keep as lcose a track in this thread as I could becuase I still see that NCLB occured becuase school systems were not successful in what they do. If that occurs, SOMETHING wil lfil lthat voacuum whether it is government or business sectors.

People complained and this Act came about. It does seem flawed but is there something better, e.g. something that will assure school systems do their job? As far as funding, if the funding isn't there, then perhaps a SPLOST is in order?

I think the new administration is going to work on that issue...an issue that has been unsolved since NCLB began.

Cynthia

« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2008, 02:38:17 PM »

No part of the NCLB act mandates time requirements for teaching any subject.

Tell that to the administrators.....slippery slope, Ami.

Cynthia

« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2008, 02:41:15 PM »
So the problem is with the script and not the concept and intentions of NCLB?

Who chose Houghton Mifflin to be your curriculum vendor?

No, the problem isn't with the script. It's with the mandate that schools select a research based program. Houghton Mifflin and Harcourt Brace are just two of those. They are used in the California school districts. Revamping the system in terms of curriculum isn't such a bad idea, but the pressure to raise scores without a fair and balanced approach IS the problem. The administration has chosen such programs (research based)  in order to make that 'grade' ....and by the by cutting out quality areas of adademics.Compromising isn't in their vocabulary. . . to  raise the scores at all cost, is! Not the sort of incentive I would think a competent manager would offer in order to make significant improvements. ONce again the method of punitive actions is at the heart of this thread. They are unfair. Exemplary schools 96th percentile....must make 99 the following year....if not...probation~
90 is still exemplary...so that school is considered A FAILURE. Not the best way to help children, imo. Punish good teachers/schools...at what cost? Fix the system.

Nuff said.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 02:46:45 PM by Cynthia »