Author Topic: CR4ZY over license plates  (Read 3695 times)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
CR4ZY over license plates
« on: February 04, 2008, 12:39:02 PM »
And they say Americans are over the top!

UAE goes CR4ZY over license plates

Story Highlights
UAE puts up for auction the mother of all vanity plates: the number "1"
Tiny oil-rich nation already holds world record for a plate: $6.75M for number 5
Abu Dhabi has held five auctions, selling 300 plates and raising $56 million

By CNN's Wilf Dinnick
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates (CNN) -- You expect a motorist to shell out a little extra cash for a vanity license plate.

But nowhere is the craze for a unique plate more intense than in the United Arab Emirates, the oil-rich Persian Gulf nation that holds the world record for the six most expensive plates.

Here, it's all about how low you can go -- with people battling it out at auctions to win the chance to show off license plates with the lowest digit.

The numbers "5" and "7" have already been snapped up, sold for 25 million dirhams ($6.75 million) and 11 million dirhams ($2.97 million) respectively.

Next week, the country will put up for auction the mother of all vanity plates: the number "1." It is expected to immediately set a new record for the most expensive plate in the world.

"As low as the number goes, as high the price goes also," said Abdullah Al Mannaei, who runs the license plate auctions in the capital city, Abu Dhabi.

"If it's a two-digit number, if it's similar like '99' or '22,' that goes (for) a higher amount."

It's no surprise that license plate craze has such a grip on the United Arab Emirates. The tiny nation, slightly smaller than the U.S. state of Maine, is prone to thinking big.

It is already home to the world's largest mall, the world's largest tower, and -- despite being in the Middle East -- boasts the largest indoor snow park in the world.

Talal Khouri, a stock broker in Abu Dhabi , is the proud owner of "5" and "7." He sheepishly admits that yes, it's a status thing.

The license plate "5" hangs from his shiny red Rolls Royce. An expensive car, but still, 10 times less so than the plate itself.

It's not all ego though. The money that the government raises auctioning off plates goes to a fund that helps victims of car accidents.

Abu Dhabi has held five such auctions, selling 300 plates and raising an astonishing $56 million.

For the business savvy, there's an added attraction: it's a good investment.

"I have a number plate on my car, which was worth 35,000 (dirhams) four years ago," Al Mannaei said. "And I have an offer now for 400,000."

Khouri has his eyes set on snagging the number "1," but he is being practical about how much he is willing to spend.

"Um, I (will) not pay more than, maximum 15 (to) 20," he said.

Fifteen to 20 million?

"Yes," he said, seriously. "Not more."

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/02/04/uae.plates/index.html 

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: CR4ZY over license plates
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 12:44:14 PM »
"It's not all ego though. The money that the government raises auctioning off plates goes to a fund that helps victims of car accidents."

I like it.
A fool and his money can do some good.

Georgia will sell you a Lisense plate with a pleaseing drawing of wildlife on it , the extra cost supports state parks.

You can even get one with a small Confederate battle flag , if you are a "Son of the Confederacy"

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 12:47:32 PM »
I have one and it goes toward planting flowers in the middle of Interstates and another one I have is an "Educator" plate and it goes toward education. It only costs an additional $25.

Worthy causes.

Do you have a Robins Air Force Base plate?
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Rich

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 12:50:56 PM »
I have a vanity plate.

I imagine the extra money goes to crazy liberal program Gov. Strickland invented.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 12:54:05 PM »
I have one and it goes toward planting flowers in the middle of Interstates and another one I have is an "Educator" plate and it goes toward education. It only costs an additional $25.

Worthy causes.

No I didn't know about them , what do they fund?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 01:25:12 PM »
You can even get one with a small Confederate battle flag , if you are a "Son of the Confederacy"
===========================================================================
One imagines tooling along in some other state and being nabbed for speeding by a Black trooper.

Possibly not as unclever to have this plate as to put the "Florida- Arrived Stoned" plate on the front bumper, but perhaps a close second.

I can't see paying extra for a license plate. I would not have one at all unless it were required. It is not clever to stick slogans on your car, as they will not convince anyone fo your wisdom, but might tick off those opposed to your cause.

True, "Buy American" is as silly on a Camry as on a Chevy or Chrysler made in Canada or Mexico or Korea, but it's just stupid to do this sort of useless promotion.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Rich

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 02:07:36 PM »
I glad I don't go through life worried about who I might tick off. There's to many people out there looking for a reason to be offended.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 03:17:15 PM »
What is to be gained from not ticking people off over a stupid damned license plate?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Of course you have a right to your opinion. Use it when it might be of use to someone.

What is to be gained from ticking them off?
A punctured tire, a broken window, a long ugly scratch in your nice paint job.

It's not like you are going to change even the simplest mind with a dumbass bumpersticker or Rebel flag or Peace sign or whatever.

I think only humorous bumperstickers are in any way viable.

Like "Be nice to America...or we'll bring democracy to YOUR county, too!"
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 10:21:13 PM »
Seinfeld fans will want to know what the Emirates are charging for an ASSMAN plate.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 10:26:28 PM »
What is to be gained from not ticking people off over a stupid damned license plate?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Of course you have a right to your opinion. Use it when it might be of use to someone.

What is to be gained from ticking them off?
A punctured tire, a broken window, a long ugly scratch in your nice paint job.

It's not like you are going to change even the simplest mind with a dumbass bumpersticker or Rebel flag or Peace sign or whatever.

I think only humorous bumperstickers are in any way viable.

Like "Be nice to America...or we'll bring democracy to YOUR county, too!"

Gosh, XO, do you live in a state where people are that wicked?

I agree, miracuously, with Rich here. If they don't like my plate, then look somewhere else!
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Cynthia

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 10:32:44 PM »

Worthy causes.

Nice idea, Professor!

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 10:40:14 PM »

Worthy causes.

No I didn't know about them , what do they fund?

warmongers?
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 10:45:22 PM »
<<Gosh, XO, do you live in a state where people are that wicked?>>

XO lives in a state that has sunk to such depravity and wickedness that motor vehicles - - the basic means of transportation of the American people - - have been found keyed.

Oh, the humanity!!

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 10:50:56 PM »
February 3, 2008

DERRY, N.H.?If Bob and Jeanne Agri of Derry (New Hampshire) get their way, they'll be driving around tomorrow sporting new license plates to proclaim their Patriots pride.

more stories like thisBack in December, the couple ordered new license plates anticipating that the New England Patriots would win the Super Bowl. Bob's plate reads "19&0PAT" while Jeanne's says "NE19&0."

They've held off putting them on their cars, but say they're confident tomorrow will be the day.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 10:56:25 PM »
http://www.worldlicenseplates.com/

http://www-chaos.umd.edu/misc/origplates.html

-CSHFLW Negative Cashflow. In Missouri, the state usually fills in any spaces on a vanity plate with a "-". This person has the most creative use of that little quirk of state government I've seen. (I know this doesn't really start with zero, but I don't know where else to put it!)
OOO LALA What more do you need to say? On a 1991 Red Convertible Corvette with IL Plates
02 BE ME Modest fellow, isn't he? On a 1991 ZR-1 Corvette 
02BNLA      Oh, to be in LA or Love to be in LA since 0 is called love in tennis, from the movie "LA Story"
0GRAVTY Zero Gravity!
1000101 Binary humor on a Virginia plate. For those of you who are binary challenged, it translates to 69 :)
10R SAX Tenor sax, on the car of a professional saxophonist
10SNE1 Tennis, anyone?
10SPRO Tennis Pro, seen on a white Porsche
12DRAG Want to drag? On a 1985 Oldsmobile 442 
14THBCH One for the bitch (or maybe beach), on a white BMW convertible
14U2C One for you to see ("Sky-Hi" Toyota 4wd)
16 APR On an accountant's car
187 Seen on a yellow '70s Cadillac Fleetwood Sedan with dark windows and bullet holes all over the lower body and doors. 187 is police code for murder.
1BLU BYU Blowing by you in a blue Corvette
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 11:24:40 PM by Plane »