Author Topic: Why Does Obama's Pastor Matter?  (Read 17651 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Why Does Obama's Pastor Matter?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 08:09:45 PM »
<<Kinda like Conservatism = Fascism = Amerikkkan evil.  Pretty much all made mute and impotent in their overuse, by the rabid left>>

The difference being that the smear of Obama via his pastor linking him to Minister Farrakhan (and even Muammar Ghaddafi!!) is meant to alienate his supporters and falling flat on its face instead.  Whereas the "fascist" label isn't meant to persuade any conservatives, it's just shorthand for leftist-to-leftist talk and a needle for any fascists who hear it.   We aren't expecting to convert any fascists merely by using the term, because they're too brainwashed already for it to sink in.  So we're not disappointed when it fails to convert anyone, whereas the conservatives concocted the entire ridiculous smear for the purpose of sapping Obama's support, and have to watch in chagrin as it fails.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 08:15:09 PM »
<<Kinda like Conservatism = Fascism = Amerikkkan evil.  Pretty much all made mute and impotent in their overuse, by the rabid left>>

The difference being that the smear of Obama via his pastor linking him to Minister Farrakhan (and even Muammar Ghaddafi!!) is meant to alienate his supporters and falling flat on its face instead. 

Kinda like anyone from the south, and/or even mentions Bob Jones, is a racist Republican, an accusation falling flat on its face as well.

And if you hadn't notice, no one is "smearing" Obama.  As we've noted, guilt by association is only apparently is applicable to Republicans.  Getting smeared (in more ways than one), is the hypocritical left and MSM's transparent double standard, when it's one of their own who's merely associated with a racist. 

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 08:17:03 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 08:24:55 PM »
Why assume it is conservatives who are smearing Obama?

Why isn't it Hillary?

This is the threatening black man smear. Something the Clinton's have been spanked for already.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 08:28:40 PM »
<<Kinda like anyone from the south, and/or even mentions Bob Jones, is a racist Republican . . . >>

Yesss!!  and . . . ?

<< . . .  an accusation falling flat on its face as well.>>

only for an actual racist or fascist

<<And if you hadn't notice, no one is "smearing" Obama.  >>

Coulda fooled me.

<<As we've noted, guilt by association is only apparently is applicable to Republicans.  Getting smeared (in more ways than one), is the hypocritical left and MSM's transparent double standard, when it's one of their own who's merely associated with a racist.>>

Kinda hard to discuss with you, when we know about the smears on Obama but have no idea which Republican "smear victims" you're even talking about.  The people they are associated with probably ARE genuine fascists, racists and anti-Semites, which is why you prefer to refer to them in generic terms rather than actually giving real names of real people.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 08:29:36 PM »
<<Why assume it is conservatives who are smearing Obama?

<<Why isn't it Hillary?

<<This is the threatening black man smear. Something the Clinton's have been spanked for already.>>

Excellent point.  Could well be.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 08:38:57 PM »
<<Kinda like anyone from the south, and/or even mentions Bob Jones, is a racist Republican . . . . .an accusation falling flat on its face as well.>>

only for an actual racist or fascist

Or for the rationally minded.

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 09:23:13 PM »
You know, I forgot that the Professor, who I like and admire, is, IIRC, a Bob Jones alum, so I personally would like to apologize to him for anything that I said or implied about that university in this thread and suggest that we discontinue using it as an example.  In any case, my response to sirs' post mentioning Bob Jones was made with semi-humorous intent only, more as a way of needling sirs than anything else. 

Maybe sirs can find another example of liberal "smear" tactics utilizing guilt by association and corresponding to the smear (by either the conservatives or the Clintons, if there's any real difference between them) of Barak Obama.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 09:38:44 PM »
Maybe sirs can find another example of liberal "smear" tactics utilizing guilt by association and corresponding to the smear (by either the conservatives or the Clintons, if there's any real difference between them) of Barak Obama.

Actually, I'll leave that tactic, guilt by association, to the left.  It's apparently their bread and butter when it comes to smears and meritless accusations

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 09:39:34 PM »
.............another example of liberal "smear" tactics utilizing guilt by association and corresponding to the smear (by either the conservatives or the Clintons, if there's any real difference between them) of Barak Obama.

http://liberalvaluesblog.com/?p=2762

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2008, 09:48:40 PM »
<<So you question that a man might choose a church because his wife likes to go there?
Perhaps you do not understand much about how decisions are made in families, especially Black families.>>   

Not only blacks.  When I mentioned in another thread how I attend synagogue only when dragged there by my wife against my will, the Professor commented that this was also the experience of his Jewish chiropractor. 

I would think it's self-evident to anyone who knows anything at all about family dynamics that it's the older women who provide the primary force for attendance at communal religious observances.  I remember reading somewhere that most of the funds gathered by televangelists came from elderly black women.

In any event the whole discussion is moot, because as Obama himself says, he agrees with his pastor on some issues and disagrees with him on others.  The attempt to smear Obama because of what his pastor believes or says is ludicrous.  And kind of patronizing.  I mean the man is definitely old enough to speak for himself.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2008, 09:52:32 PM »
<<Actually, I'll leave that tactic, guilt by association, to the left.  It's apparently their bread and butter when it comes to smears and meritless accusations>>

I see.  So despite "smears and meritless accusations" being the "bread and butter" of the left, you are unable to come up with any name other than Bob Jones' as an example of associations used by liberals to smear conservatives.  Not even one.

I perfectly understand.  Thank you.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2008, 09:56:26 PM »
I see.  So despite "smears and meritless accusations" being the "bread and butter" of the left, you are unable to come up with any name other than Bob Jones' as an example of associations used by liberals to smear conservatives.  Not even one.

Well, there is always "Republicans want women to die of cancer."
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2008, 10:09:01 PM »
<<Well, there is always "Republicans want women to die of cancer.">>

I'm sure that there are plenty of Republicans who feel that preventing women dying from cancer is just one competing priority, the other competing priority being to ensure chaste behaviour on the part of their wives and daughters.  And I'm equally sure that when it comes to choosing which priority is paramount over the other, most conservative Republicans would pick chastity over life-saving anytime.  Lanya's thought-crime was probably finding an article which actually showed Republican majorities favouring chastity over female lives and using the word "want" instead of the more accurate "prefer."  BFD.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2008, 10:19:48 PM »
Lanya's thought crime was that she completely misrepresented the issue.

What you do with your kids health is up to you, don't mandate needles into mine.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2008, 10:24:05 PM »
<<What you do with your kids health is up to you, don't mandate needles into mine. >.

Yeah, so whaddaya think about mandatory blood transfusions when medically necessary to save a life and the kid's Jehovah's Witnesses parents object?