Author Topic: Bush Derangement Syndrome: A Diagnosis  (Read 3913 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Bush Derangement Syndrome: A Diagnosis
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 01:21:19 PM »
Sirs, she has a point. We will end up losing what minimal progress we have made in Afghanistan because we are short-shrifting it due to the "necessary" resources in Iraq.

Actually she doesn't. Afghanistan is a NATO / UN operation. If more troops are needed the allies can fill the gap.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 01:25:19 PM »
Actually, she does, because the Allies are not going to send more troops than they have already sent. They COULD does not mean that they WOULD. How threatened do the Dutch, the Canadians, the Germans feel threatened by Taliban and Al Qaeda? Most of the people in the allied nations seem to feel that Afghanistan is more a US problem.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 01:29:45 PM »
So this overwhelming support for the US as a result of 9-11 is just lip service?

What a surprise.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 01:34:22 PM »
Sirs, she has a point. We will end up losing what minimal progress we have made in Afghanistan because we are short-shrifting it due to the "necessary" resources in Iraq.

I agree in that it's wrong that Bush doesn't reinforce the position that Usama should absolutely be a top priority.  (To everyone on the left, please ignore, since its another criticism by sirs of Bush, and specific to the war, that many wish not to acknowledge, so they can keep falsely accusing me of being some kool-aide drinking Bush-can-do-no-wrong war supporter).  And as Bt has referenced, NATO can send in more troops, if its deemed necesary

My point, especially given the premice that Lanya tried to spin, is that we did go into Afghanistan, we did take out all functional components, training facilities, and leadership organization of AlQeada.  We sent them into holes, all over the hills, with no functional Governing defense like the Taliban.  Yet somehow, it's not enough....we're supposed to institute our own method of governing and women's rights upon the Afghani Government.  A position that gets consistently condemned for what we're supposedly doing in Iraq.

In other words, just another DIHD/DIHD't bashing of Bush

Poor Karzai. I expect we will find him either assassinated or leaving quickly on a Plane to the U.S. , one step ahead of the Taliban. And women in Afghanistan will be treated as less than human yet again in Afghanistan.

I seriously doubt the latter, since as long as Bush remains in office, he won't allow the Taliban to come any where near the level of primary governing body, it originally was, prior to our going in
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 01:43:26 PM »
So this overwhelming support for the US as a result of 9-11 is just lip service?

What a surprise.

=======================================
It may have been overwhelming in 2001, but after seven years, with the US in charge and still no Bin Laden capture, I think it has lost its oomph. I do not expect that any of the allies will increase their troop commitment as you suggested, certainly not with the approval of the folks back home.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 03:46:39 PM »
I don't think Osama should be a high priority either. Keep him cornered and neutralized. No need to invade Pakistan and stir up a hornets nest. I don't think Osama is worth the US casualties nor do i think he is worth the lives of hundreds of thousands of Pakistani's.

But apparently some do, when they deride Bush for being patient.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 03:55:15 PM »
The US cannot invade Pakistan, at least officially. But when there was a chance to get Osama in the Tora Bora attacks, they blew it for lack of troops. Juniorbush had already moved the troops needed into position for Iraq.

He is not so much patient as a moron.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 04:20:50 PM »
Juniorbush had already moved the troops needed into position for Iraq.

Not true. My understanding was due to political considerations on the ground the back door was to be guarded by the Northern Alliance, who may have been open to financial persuasion to look the other way.

Rich

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 05:06:20 PM »
Of course it's not true.

::)

But's never stopped them before.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 07:10:48 PM »
Juniorbush had already moved the troops needed into position for Iraq.

Not true. My understanding was due to political considerations on the ground the back door was to be guarded by the Northern Alliance, who may have been open to financial persuasion to look the other way.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2004-03-28-troop-shifts_x.htm
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 07:36:40 PM »
The battle of tora bora was in december 2001. We started shifting focus to Iraq in March 2002.

Next.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 08:18:25 PM »

Actually she doesn't. Afghanistan is a NATO / UN operation. If more troops are needed the allies can fill the gap.

But they won't. As usual, we, the Good Guys, will carry the load. The Europeans are wusses.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 08:19:32 PM »

What a surprise.

Yep, no surprise. The Europeans are spineless. Remember what Patton said as only one example.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2008, 08:21:21 PM »

I agree in that it's wrong that Bush doesn't reinforce the position that Usama should absolutely be a top priority.  (To everyone on the left, please ignore, since its another criticism by sirs of Bush, and specific to the war, that many wish not to acknowledge, so they can keep falsely accusing me of being some kool-aide drinking Bush-can-do-no-wrong war supporter).  And as Bt has referenced, NATO can send in more troops, if its deemed necesary

My point, especially given the premice that Lanya tried to spin, is that we did go into Afghanistan, we did take out all functional components, training facilities, and leadership organization of AlQeada.  We sent them into holes, all over the hills, with no functional Governing defense like the Taliban.  Yet somehow, it's not enough....we're supposed to institute our own method of governing and women's rights upon the Afghani Government.  A position that gets consistently condemned for what we're supposedly doing in Iraq.

In other words, just another DIHD/DIHD't bashing of Bush

Poor Karzai. I expect we will find him either assassinated or leaving quickly on a Plane to the U.S. , one step ahead of the Taliban. And women in Afghanistan will be treated as less than human yet again in Afghanistan.

I seriously doubt the latter, since as long as Bush remains in office, he won't allow the Taliban to come any where near the level of primary governing body, it originally was, prior to our going in

A major problem with Paksitan is that the Taliban simply cannot be wiped out unless you cross international boundaries en masse as in Pakistan's. Reminds me of the whole Yalu River issue of the Korean Conflict.
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D