Author Topic: Ron Paul will have at least 9 deligates at the convention  (Read 16970 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ron Paul will have at least 9 deligates at the convention
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2008, 09:58:26 AM »
"Ironically Hillary is now more acceptable to me than the GOP front runner and she is less acceptable than Obama as far as the good of the country goes .

Wha..........?

Maybe you should vote a right in canadate

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2008, 10:04:59 AM »
Maybe you should vote a right in canadate

Why?

I have said all along that i don't trust McCain. And even knowing pretty much what to expect from Hillary i find that not trusting McCain overrides any sense of foreboding about Hillary.

Betwen Hillary and Obama I'll go with Obama. His hands will be tied with the Rezko affair anyways.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2008, 04:35:32 PM »

All rigt , bt don't forget how to write well , or loose your talent for exaustive exploration of an idea.
Don't loose what you are great at already as you attempt to develop something new.

Heh. Being sarcastic is hardly something new for me.

I don't intend to give up on other forms of discussion, Plane. But as I said, being sarcastic is about the only way to keep discussions with BT fun.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2008, 07:13:12 PM »

This is the problem.

In your haste to paint Republicans as hypocrits because they rejected Dr. Paul you fail to recognize that the reason is that republicans reject the extremes of Pauls message.

No, the problem is you're assuming too much. I'm not in haste to paint Republicans as hypocrites. And I'm not offended that they're not all rushing to the Ron Paul camp. In all honesty, I didn't expect the Republican Party to embrace Ron Paul. If they were willing to do so, they would have done so before the current campaign season. I like Ron Paul, yes, and yes I hoped he could get the nomination, but I never expected that all or even most Republicans would automatically rush to support him. I knew if he even had a chance, he would have to fight for it. But in watching this campaign season progress, I've watched the Republicans essentially embrace candidates who are campaigning on the opposite (for the most part) of everything I always understood to be core Republican ideas.

When I was growing up, being reared by Republican parents, I was taught the Republican Party was the party of less government, smaller government. Even George Bush (the younger) campaigned on smaller government in his initial campaign for President. And I've watched as under his administration the government has not shrunk but grown in size and reach. In this campaign season, I've watched the Republican Party essentially turn its back on the notion of smaller government. To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, I didn't leave the Republican Party; the Republican Party left me.

While it is possible that Georgia could launch a space program it is more efficient use of resources  to do it at the federal level. I don't know many republicans who are against space exploration.

I don't recall Ron Paul speaking out against space exploration. I'm not against space exploration either. I'm all for it. Being in favor of a particular endeavor does not, however, mean automatic support for a federal government program.

And though Georgia does have a highway department, the interstate highway system was better funded and managed at the federal level.

I don't recall Ron Paul's denouncement of the interstate system. I don't recall saying anything against it myself.

There are times when regional and national solutions are more appropriate than state or local solutions.

I don't recall Ron Paul or anyone else suggesting otherwise.

No, this republican is not against government.

Neither is Ron Paul. You know that, I'm sure.

This republican understands that political philosophy  is just jaw boning unless it is implemented. And therin lies the main difference between republicans and libertarians.

Republicans are in the arena. Libertarians sit in the bleachers. All sarcastic and pious but unable to garner more than 14 delegates even with their favorite son carrying their flag. Perhaps it is the message, perhaps it is the messenger, but what is painfully obvious is that it isn't selling well, even with the dearth (to me) of other viable candidates.

I knew we would get back to this eventually. Ron Paul, a Republican member of the U.S. House of Representatives who is running for President, apparently he doesn't count as a Republican in the arena. Seems to me 14 delegates for a guy supposedly still sitting in the bleachers is ain't too bad.

I don't deny that libertarians need to work harder and better at getting elected. But this arena/bleachers metaphor is bogus. There are libertarians in the arena in more ways than one, and at the very least the grassroots fund raising Paul's campaign experienced shows there is obviously some support for his ideas.

Implicit in your comments is the suggestion that libertarians have no place to criticize the Republican Party because libertarians are not running the show. That suggestion is little more than pharisaic hubris. And no, this time I'm not being sarcastic. Perhaps I can fairly be accused of piousness in this particular conversation, but if you don't like a little of your own attitude thrown back at you, that is not my fault.

You accuse me of being in haste to paint Republicans as hypocrites, but I don't have to do any painting. They have "painted" themselves. George Bush (the younger) campaigned on reducing the size of government, and he basically worked to achieve the opposite. He was reelected and now in the current campaign season most Republicans are choosing to support a man who is most certainly not going to shrink the government if his record of political action in government is any indicator. Obviously the Republican Party is not the party of smaller government. Not because they rejected Ron Paul, but because they have obviously not acted in the manner of people who want to achieve smaller government. I don't have to paint anything or anyone. All I'm doing is pointing out the obvious.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2008, 07:28:59 PM »
Either Paul is for the space program or he isn't.

And the space program is big government.

Either Paul is for the interstate highway system or he isn't.

And the highway program is big government.

So either there is a place for big government or there isn't.

Here's a clue: Small government is code for efficient government. I'm all for that.

There is a place for federal programs. There is a place for a more regional or local approach.

And i don't think that makes me or any other republican who supports efficient govt a hypocrite.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2008, 07:33:35 PM »

You accuse me of being in haste to paint Republicans as hypocrites, but I don't have to do any painting. They have "painted" themselves. George Bush (the younger) campaigned on reducing the size of government, and he basically worked to achieve the opposite.

With all due respect Prince, he didn't.  You call campagining for a prescription drug program "reducing the size of Government"?  You call his campaining for NCLB as reducing the size of government?  And I won't even bring up Homeland Security

You see Prince, we conservatives KNEW Bush wasn't the Reagan limited government advocating conservative, we all wished he'd be.  He was largely a moderate with conservative leanings, and we knew that.  We also knew what the alternative was, for both 2000 & 2004.  We got what we voted for, but it wasn't for a fiscally responsible conservative.  I WISH he had been, but I knew, way back in 2000, what I was getting.  And it wasn't a Republican campaigning to reduce the size of Governmen. 
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2008, 10:14:45 PM »
If a canadate with move star looks and a John McCain resume and Ronald Reagan glibness were availible , would haveing Ron Paul policys be such a drag?

Wht is the potential for a canadate halfway between ?

Someone who is less drasticly Libertarian than Ron Paul but enough so to get Libertarian and independant and old fashioned Conservative support , yet flexable enough to avoid scareing off the voters who like being dependant on the Government?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2008, 11:13:48 PM »

With all due respect Prince, he didn't.  You call campagining for a prescription drug program "reducing the size of Government"?  You call his campaining for NCLB as reducing the size of government?  And I won't even bring up Homeland Security

Homeland Security came later, I think. But maybe you're right. I recall him talking about no more nation building and reducing government programs over all. I do recall NCLB, but I also recall him talking about reducing other government programs along with the tax cuts. Maybe I remember incorrectly. Or maybe I misunderstood. I remember that I voted for him in 2000 because I thought he was going to work on reducing government. I was obviously wrong about that.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2008, 11:54:00 PM »
Government is all about providing services. That is why they exist.

Elections are no more than deciding who controls the franchises and what the services will cost.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2008, 12:00:38 AM »

Either Paul is for the space program or he isn't.

And the space program is big government.

Well, there you go again. You talk about Republicans not being against space exploration and then insist that either Paul is or is not for the space program. Believe it or not, being both in favor of space exploration and against a federal space exploration program is possible. But I knew I could count on you to attempt to conflate the two.

Either Paul is for the interstate highway system or he isn't.

And the highway program is big government.

I have not seen or heard anyone ask him about about his opinion on the interstate system.

So either there is a place for big government or there isn't.

I see a pattern with these comments and comments from previous posts. You seem to be staking out anything the federal government does to be big government, and then proposing that one either is or is not for the federal government. This is what makes discussing anything with you a challenge. You redefine terms as suits you at any particular moment and then try to discredit those who haven't agreed to your terms.

Here's a clue: Small government is code for efficient government. I'm all for that.

See what I mean?

Code? I see now the problem. I was not aware there was a secret code involved. Small government is efficient government. And the space program is efficient government? Oh, no, wait, you just said that was big government. I guess then it must not be efficient government. You also said the interstate system is big government. Hm. So does that mean you're against it? (Don't worry, that was a sarcastic question. I don't actually expect you to answer it.)

There is a place for federal programs. There is a place for a more regional or local approach.

I repeat: I don't recall Ron Paul or anyone else suggesting otherwise.

And i don't think that makes me or any other republican who supports efficient govt a hypocrite.

I'm sure you don't. Particularly since you get to make up special codes along the way to justify your position. To redefine terms and create codes to suit one's position and then insist on either/or conditions by which others are judged might just possibly a tiny bit hypocritical. Or it might be a lot hypocritical.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 12:46:43 AM by Universe Prince »

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2008, 12:02:27 AM »

Government is all about providing services. That is why they exist.

Thank you, Dr. Obvious.

Elections are no more than deciding who controls the franchises and what the services will cost.

Thank you, Professor Oversimplification.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2008, 12:18:26 AM »
Glad to be of service.

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2008, 10:27:17 AM »
The war was not a program to end slavery, but rather a war to prevent the breakup of the Union, not to free the slaves. The Emancipation Proclamation was a political maneuver against the Confederacy. (No, I'm not siding with slavery, just pointing out a fact.) And the passage of an amendment did not require a federal program or the Emancipation Proclamation or a civil war. (Notice the lack of civil wars in relation to other constitutional amendments.) So no, there was no program to end slavery. As best I can discover, Lincoln didn't give a damn about ending slavery until the war made it politically advantageous to do so.

This is why I have no respect for libertarianism.  You are making semantic arguments, UP.  Whether there was a government "program" is not the point - not at all.  The FACT is that slavery COULD NOT have been ended by "the people" no matter how concerned SOME of them were.  It took the GOVERNMENT - by way of the Congress and the Courts - to abolish and then enforce the abolishment of slavery.  Whether abolitionists got the ball rolling (of course they did) is irrelevent.   Whether Lincoln had a political agenda (of course he did) when signing the Emancipation Proclamation is irrelevent.  The South wanted to continue with slavery so badly that they decided to break the Perpetual Union they agreed to in the Articles of Confederation.  It is all well and good - and correct - to say that the South wanted out of the Union because of what they correctly perceived as the Federal government overriding state's rights.  So what?  That hasn't got a thing to do with whether the government was required to assert and protect the rights of people unjustly oppressed.  The civil war was fought over slavery, whether you wish to whitewash that fact or not.  Of course many people who completely opposed slavery fought on the side of the South over the issue of state's rights, and rightly so.  But the issue that took the struggle from a simple difference of regional temperment to a destructive civil war was slavery. 

Similarly, it took the power of the courts to force the country to stop discriminating against freed blacks.  JS is correct in pointing out that it was another century before blacks could even safely vote - let alone use the same bathrooms or restaraunts as whites. 

You keep ridiculing the notion of using the power of government to protect people from the "big bad cruel world."  Well I've got news for you.  That's what a government is for.  It doesn't exist to build roads.  Private companies can do that.  It doesn't exist to educate children.  Families can do that.  It doesn't exist to make the world fair.  Nobody can do that.  It exists only to protect, as best as possible, the rights of individuals.  There is no question that the Federal government is far too big and has far too much power.  There is no question that Lincoln and Roosevelt bear heavy responsibility for that.  There is no question that the founders did not intend the behemoth that sits astride the hills of Rome in DC.  But the libertarian response to that is to basically do away with the government and let the free market and personal choice rule the day.  Sounds really great, except that my personal choice to keep blacks from living in my neighborhood or working in my business hurts someone else's chance to make a decent living or live where HE chooses.  My personal choice to pay poor wages to workers, refuse them benefits, sell them necessary equipment and commodities at inflated prices using outrageous interest rates and otherwise manipulate my work force keeps them in fiscal bondage.  Yes, those poor SOBs can go find a job elsewhere (unless I make it impossible by ruining their credit rating or putting them in a debtor's prison because of the money they owe me).  But the conditions will be basically the same, because by and large unrestricted business practices mean unrestricted power to those with money - and restricted freedom for those without.  Yes we need a free market to encourage competition and reward excellence, and too much government restriction is a bad thing.  But the free market does NOT encourage good treatment of workers.  Look at the way workers are treated in so-called "right to work" states (a misnomer of epic proportions).  Benefits are minimal when they exist at all.  Terminate at will practices make an employee subject to the whims of business owners or even mid-level managers who are free to end someone's livelihood because of their skin color, their religious beliefs, their personal differences with the boss or their refusal to sleep with them.  It is just such evils of the free market that make the evil of labor unions necessary. 

Socialism, of course, is a ridiculous idea.  Communism is a proven disaster.  The evils and the oppression of individual rights under such systems are well documented and rightly touted as reasons to promote capitalism.  The Utopian notion that we will all share the land, the bread and the peace is hopelessly naive.  But that does not mean that to avoid one evil we should lovingly embrace the other.  Libertarians cry that relying on the government to protect our rights is cowardice.  Baloney.  We could, of course, all take up weapons and shoot each other until nobody is left.  But some of us prefer a system of laws.  We would like these laws created by people we choose to represent us.  We would like those laws to be enforced when necessary without us resorting to taking up arms ourselves - it helps us get on with the day-to-day business of living without having to drop the baby and grab a gun every five minutes.  We would like judges to handle disputes over those laws, punish those who disobey those laws, and protect the rights of those unjustly accused of violating those laws. 

Lots and LOTS of people like that idea, including some guys that met in Philadelphia back in 1787.  Those guys had the same kind of disagreements that we are having.  They did not, as a group, endorse big government or small government.  They agreed generally that government should be run by the people, and not the other way around.  But they differed greatly on how it should be done, how the government powers should be distributed and how the people should get to communicate their wishes to the government.  But they hammered out a compromise - a miracle, in Washington's words.  Contrary to libertarian beliefs, they did NOT intend it to be the final solution to the argument.  They understood - discussed widely and openly - that future generations might choose to modify the agreement, reinterpret it, or possibly reject it altogether and adopt a new form of government.  None of them, however, rationally endorsed the idea of doing away with government altogether - and this was a bunch who had just in the last decade overthrown their centuries-old government in favor of a new form that had so far proven ineffective.  Irrespective of differences in philosopohy, the men gathered in Philadelphia had seen the dangers of a weak confederation of states.  They recognized that governments were necessary, if a necessary evil.  They understood and stated explicitly that the function of the government they wanted to have was to "establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity."   They did not view government as an end, but as the means to an end. 

Of course, the system that they envisioned has been modified and reinterpreted.  Many of them - probably most of them - would disapprove of the behemoth that the Federal government has become.  There is no question that many of them would have rejected ever signing the Articles of Confederation or even the Declaration of Independence had they known what was coming two centuries later.  They did, in fact, far more severely restrict the government than our current system does.  But the fact is, the government has changed, by means approved of by our founders, under circumstances that were legal (even if the circumstances that led to them were not).  Yes, Lincoln overstepped his bounds.  But the South broke a union they had agreed to as perpetual, and the evils of big government are no worse than the evils of slavery.  Being forced to run your business in compliance with repressive regulation stinks.  Being forced to obey rules from a government of which you do not approve or you feel inadequately represents you is annoying, stifling and maybe even oppressive.   Tell it to those who were held in slavery.  I'm thinking you'll get a sympathetic ear to a point.  Then they'll ask you when they get to vote for overseer.  The system our founders created was not perfect.  It was intended to change as society changed.  It had an apparatus to accomplish that and, for better or worse, the post-war amendments were legal.  We chose, as a nation, a new path with those amendments.  A very large part of the nation had the feeling that those changes were necessary to make an even more perfect union. 

You're not the only one who disagrees with them - then or now.  But BT's question about whether ending slavery was a good thing IS a valid question, because it was the action of the government - not the people - that did that.  You ridicule it because it does not fit in with your conception of what we are debating.  But it fits right in.  It is right to teach that Lincoln saved the union and ended slavery because that is what happened in a nutshell.  No, Lincoln did not do that single-handedly, but Washington is not really the father of our country either.  Neither was John Adams or Thomas Jefferson.  Lincoln's decision to prosecute a war to enforce the perpetual union, whatever the legality and whatever the agenda, did in fact reunite the country (albeit over much protest) and effectively end slavery.   The argument that the South planned to end slavery eventually, or that Lincoln had a forty year plan that got accelerated for political reasons does not in any way negate those facts - and they are facts.  The point that the Emancipation Proclamation had no teeth and only the amendments really accomplished the feat does not negate Lincoln's contribution.  The EP (and the war itself) doomed the institution of slavery.  The war reunited the nation in spite of the slave state's desires to build a new nation, conceived in slavery and dedicated to the proposition that not all men are created equal.  The final congressional action and the eventual ratification were only dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

Libertarians claim that wanting the government to protect you from the big, bad world is cowardice.  One can equally claim that wanting the government to turn a blind eye on abuses of power in the free market, discriminatory practices and wholesale destruction of the environment is another form of cowardice.  The fact is, most libertarians (and conservatives in general) will tell you that they do not endorse abuse of workers, or destruction of the environment or discrimination in housing.  Most of those who makes such claims are sincere.  But just as too much government empowers those who would use the police powers of the state to oppress individuals, too little government empowers those who would use their economic power to do the same.  That's why I would no more vote for Ron Paul than Hillary Clinton.  Evil has two faces.  The fact that they look in different directions does not make one less evil than the other.
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2008, 10:31:38 AM »
But the South broke a union they had agreed to as perpetual,

Where was this "perpetual" union agreed upon?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2008, 10:58:38 AM »
But the South broke a union they had agreed to as perpetual,

Where was this "perpetual" union agreed upon?

Article XIII of the Articles of Confederation.

"Every State shall abide by the determination of the United States in Congress assembled, on all questions which by this confederation are submitted to them. And the Articles of this Confederation shall be inviolably observed by every State, and the Union shall be perpetual; nor shall any alteration at any time hereafter be made in any of them; unless such alteration be agreed to in a Congress of the United States, and be afterwards confirmed by the legislatures of every State."
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 11:10:54 AM by Stray Pooch »
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .