Author Topic: New York stores accepting Euros  (Read 1039 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New York stores accepting Euros
« on: February 07, 2008, 12:30:33 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080206/us_nm/newyork_euros_dc

Sign-of-the-times story related to the fall of the U.S. dollar.  Some NYC stores now will take Euros.  The funniest part was the guy who doesn't even bother to change his Euros for greenbacks - - he just holds onto them and spends them during his next trip to Paris, saving the commission on two exchanges.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: New York stores accepting Euros
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 12:35:03 PM »
It is a global village.

Dollars never hurt Europe , Euros don't burn our hands either.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 12:48:38 PM »
Some NYC stores now will take Euros.

I've spent Austrian and Canadian money in New York plenty of times. This was before the Euro, though.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 02:41:52 PM »
As the article said, border cities (Detroit and Buffalo) have been accepting Canadian money for a  long time.  I've never had Canadian accepted in New York, so I gave up trying a long time ago.  I'm not surprised that they accept Canadian now, they've probably been doing so for awhile, but with the advent of credit cards and ATMs, I never had to put them to the test.  I'm very surprised that they accepted Austrian currency.  It's not that familiar and how'd they know if it was counterfeit or not?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 07:27:30 PM »
As the article said, border cities (Detroit and Buffalo) have been accepting Canadian money for a  long time.  I've never had Canadian accepted in New York, so I gave up trying a long time ago.  I'm not surprised that they accept Canadian now, they've probably been doing so for awhile, but with the advent of credit cards and ATMs, I never had to put them to the test.  I'm very surprised that they accepted Austrian currency.  It's not that familiar and how'd they know if it was counterfeit or not?

It was at a store near the UN. Apparently the stores around there are more lenient.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)