Author Topic: Romney withdraws  (Read 4793 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Romney withdraws
« on: February 07, 2008, 05:11:52 PM »
Apparently the Conservatives no longer require him as their hero.

Romney withdraws from White House race

Daniel Nasaw in Washington
Thursday February 7, 2008
Guardian Unlimited

Mitt Romney in Washington
Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney in Washington where he announced he was suspending his presidential campaign. Photograph: Steve Helber/AP

Mitt Romney today withdrew from the Republican presidential race today, effectively ceding the contest to frontrunner John McCain.

The former Massachusetts governor pulled out after losing considerable ground to McCain in the coast-to-coast Super Tuesday primary contests. He also failed to edge out ordained Baptist preacher Mike Huckabee in the socially conservative southern states.

Romney made the announcement in front of an influential conservative political group in Washington, saying that he was withdrawing because America was at war in Iraq and he would rather support McCain as nominee rather than make it easier for the Democratic nominee to win.

Article continues
"In this time of war I simply cannot let my campaign be a part of aiding a surrender to terror," he told the Conservative Political Action Conference.

"Because I love America, in this time of war I feel I have to now stand aside for our party and for our country"

By leaving the race, Romney positions himself as a prime contender in 2012, should McCain lose the November general election or serve only one term, or beyond. He also takes the role of loyal party unifier, building good will among party leaders and the rank and file.

"He realises mathematically that it was almost impossible for him to win," said David E Johnson, a Republican strategist. "At this point, he's looking to the future."

The withdrawal calls Huckabee's role in the Republican race into question. The former Arkansas governor won five southern states on Tuesday and is third place in the delegate count behind McCain and Romney. Having failed to broaden his appeal beyond evangelical Christian voters, he faces a nearly impossible struggle if he continues to run.

Speculation has build in recent days that Huckabee has stayed in the race at McCain's behest in order to draw votes from Romney, with McCain pledging in return to help him retire campaign debt or run for another office.

A wealthy businessman, Romney spent millions from his own pocket to finance the race. He invested heavily in Iowa, the first contest, but took second place to Huckabee.

Romney also suffered disappointment in New Hampshire. Having governed neighbouring Massachusetts for four years and enjoying media exposure in the state, he lost when New Hampshire's independents turned out to support McCain. McCain had won the state in 2000 and remained popular there.

Romney went on to win contests in Wyoming and Michigan, but lost crucial Florida and South Carolina to McCain, further cementing McCain's position as Republican frontrunner ahead of Super Tuesday.

On Tuesday, McCain took an overwhelming lead in the delegate count, with 707 compared to 294 for Romney and 195 for Huckabee, according to an Associated Press tally.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Romney withdraws
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 05:53:11 PM »
It all comes down to money.

Will Hillary be next?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 06:10:48 PM »
Romney has the Mormon Church behind him. What he lacks is not bucks, but votes.

He claims that he does not want to divide the Party in the struggle to continue the war in Iraq, that the Democrats want to end.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 06:19:44 PM »
Yes the dems have made great strides in ending the war.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 06:20:18 PM »
And of course, the devine Xo, knows why everyone does what they do.......obviously        ;)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »
Yes the dems have made great strides in ending the war.

:D
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 07:09:52 PM »
Lets listen to Rush Limbaugh today and tomorrow .

This is very contary to him , where can he go with his lest favoriate Republican running and his most favoriate Democrat head in the running.

Another thing that is noticeable , the Democrats came out twice as strong to vote in the primry , Republicans beig unenthused  hands the ace over.

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 07:11:05 PM »
Romney has the Mormon Church behind him. What he lacks is not bucks, but votes.

The Church of Jesus CHrist of Latter Day Saints neither indorses nor provides financial support to any candidate.

The Church does not endorse political parties or candidates, nor does it permit the use of its buildings for political purposes. The Church does not participate in politics unless there is a moral question at issue, in which case the Church will often speak out.

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=bbd508f54922d010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=064a0bbce1d98010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Stray Pooch

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 07:15:19 PM »

Well, that tears it.  Nobody left to vote for but the one "Republican" I swore I couldn't support.

My vote goes to Voldemorte.
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 07:18:31 PM »

Well, that tears it.  Nobody left to vote for but the one "Republican" I swore I couldn't support.

http://www.goats.com/

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 07:49:40 PM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

;)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 07:57:23 PM »
Sweeeet.

I love how Rush and Hannity are beside themselves!

People sounded like they were on the verge of crying on Rush a couple of times today.

If Hillary and McCain are the choices, I may not vote or vote Hillary.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 07:59:02 PM »

With all the garbage you've referenced as associated with Hillary & the Clinton machine, you'd still vote for her?  Wow

Stray Pooch

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 08:11:30 PM »

Man what a great shirt!  What's that slogan say . . .?

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 09:08:48 PM »

With all the garbage you've referenced as associated with Hillary & the Clinton machine, you'd still vote for her?  Wow

Sorry, I was doing two thing at once and meant that I would vote for McCain.  I'd NEVER vote for Hillary. Not even for your dogcatcher.

I came very close to voting uncommitted on Tuesday but I dared to hope that I could swing TN Obama's way just to stick it in her eye.  But that didn't work out, now did it?