Author Topic: The Not So "Infinite" Pie  (Read 13944 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: The Not So "Infinite" Pie
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2008, 12:45:17 AM »
It's tough to be a man baby!

dc cab

Rich

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2008, 12:32:28 PM »
>>Gah, what a steaming pile.<<

Elephant size.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2008, 10:28:41 PM »
".........However, none this changes the fact that those in the top 5% who are so desperately wanting tax cuts to allegedly invest in the American economy are doing nothing of the sort.

They arn't?

News to me , what are they doing?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2008, 01:28:09 AM »
".........However, none this changes the fact that those in the top 5% who are so desperately wanting tax cuts to allegedly invest in the American economy are doing nothing of the sort.

They arn't?  News to me , what are they doing?

You didn't hear Plane?  It's the lower 50% employing.....the lower 50%          :-\
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2008, 07:46:37 PM »

You didn't hear Plane?  It's the lower 50% employing.....the lower 50%          :-\

Yeah, like those 74,000 that GM bought out.

:-X

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2008, 07:49:15 PM »

:-X

No really , what does a wealthy person or oganisation do with additional money that is unhelpfull?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2008, 08:07:27 PM »

and that has what to do with the tea in China??   What's the population in this country again?  The # of those currently considered employed?  And who largely employs them again??
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2008, 10:45:46 PM »
The study of chaotic dynamical systems has many applications for the 'real world.' Think of any mathematical system that changes over time, such as the weather, the stock market, or the genetic distribution of a population. Whatever dynamical system you think of, Chaos Theory can be used to understand it.

http://library.thinkquest.org/2647/chaos/chaos.htm

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2008, 08:49:22 PM »
and that has what to do with the tea in China??   What's the population in this country again?  The # of those currently considered employed?  And who largely employs them again??

74,000 people are going home and don't have jobs.  I'm glad you feel ok with that since it is just a small percentage of our god-blessed population of this oh=so=great nation.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2008, 08:57:32 PM »
"With 46,000 of the 74,000 workers already eligible for retirement, G.M. laid out several attractive options ? including retirement with full benefits and a cash payout of $45,000 to $62,500 depending on job classification.

Employees with less than 30 years of seniority can leave and receive fixed monthly payments until they reach full ?30 and out? status. Younger employees can depart with cash payments of $70,000 or $140,000, depending on years of service, in exchange for giving up health care and other postretirement benefits.

The range of offers may be tempting for workers who see GM....."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/13/business/13auto.html?ex=1360645200&en=133939772663439e&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2008, 09:04:02 PM »
"With 46,000 of the 74,000 workers already eligible for retirement, G.M. laid out several attractive options ? including retirement with full benefits and a cash payout of $45,000 to $62,500 depending on job classification.

Employees with less than 30 years of seniority can leave and receive fixed monthly payments until they reach full ?30 and out? status. Younger employees can depart with cash payments of $70,000 or $140,000, depending on years of service, in exchange for giving up health care and other postretirement benefits.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/13/business/13auto.html?ex=1360645200&en=133939772663439e&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

And?  It's somehow more attractive that they were paid to go away?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2008, 09:11:33 PM »

And?  It's somehow more attractive that they were paid to go away?

Last time I got fired , the deal was much simpler , like "Hey , you got paid all the time your were here, you are ahead by that."

so ......Yes getting a consolation of a final pay worth six months work or so  is better than the tipical firing.

When people are buying fewer cars , or cars of increased competition the company has to shrink , shrinking is better than dieing.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2008, 12:53:53 AM »
the early retirement package is a tricky one
this sounds crazy but I think some of those will lose thier social security benefits by taking it
I seem to remember quite afew people working for me were early retirees
I was in contract security and I`ve seen quite ALOT of people working under me trying to fulfil thier quarters to qualify for social security

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2008, 02:06:45 AM »

74,000 people are going home and don't have jobs. 

And.......that prohbits them from finding another job, how again???  Again, the point is who hired them in the 1st place.  Other poor people?? 

I'm glad you feel ok with that since it is just a small percentage of our god-blessed population of this oh=so=great nation.

Somehow you're equating my position that no one has a right to a job with being glad someone doesn't have a job.  Hint, they're not the same, and has nothing to do with the point being made on generally who employs who

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2008, 07:51:25 AM »
When people are buying fewer cars , or cars of increased competition the company has to shrink , shrinking is better than dieing.

================================================
But people aren't buying fewer cars. They are buying fewer GM cars. GM could have made more desirable cars staring in the 1980's. They designed the most boring and awful cars sold anywhere in the 1980's. Instead of innovating, they decided to push trucks, because trucks could guzzle, whereas cars could not. They put leather seats and all manner of cushy crap on huge, lumbering, gas-guzzling trucks and advertised these as a proper way to take little Becky-Sue to ballet class.

GM had the ability to make reliable, fuel efficient cars like Camrys, Sentras, Altimas and such, but they peddled Suburbans and Silverados and Azteks. They screwed up bigtime in the 80's, and followed that with peddling trucks to people had no real need of trucks in the 90's.  Only now are they coming around and building reliable cars like the Chevy Malibu.

The execs got raises, and the workers, who had nothing to do with the stupidity of poor R&D, got the sack.

Will there ever be a Chevy Volt? They seem to be spending a huge amount of money advertising a car no one can buy or even sit in at the auto show.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."