Author Topic: Conservatives are just Fake Christians  (Read 1728 times)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

fatman

Re: Conservatives are just Fake Christians
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 03:58:46 PM »
He just lost the election before he started, being pro choice and pro gay marriage, and proclaiming that 7 years before he runs for Gov of Alabama.  Alabama probably wouldn't even elect Bear Bryant if he espoused those ideals.

As to "fake Christians", there could be some merit to that.  A lot of the conservatives that I know personally like to talk about their faith, but not necessarily practice it.  Kind of wearing their faith on their shirtsleeve kind of thing.  I've never believed that you have to be conservative to have faith, I know a lot of moderates and liberals who are just as devout in their faith as conservatives.

By no means am I saying that all conservatives are fake Christians.  Just that some I know personally are.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 05:25:40 PM »
This guy is no politician and will never be governor of Alabama.

By complaining about how Conservatives judge, he is judging them.

Being able to put a ball through a hoop hardly qualifies anyone to run a state, not even Alabama.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 11:36:58 AM »
I think a fake Christian is anyone who resents spending his hard-earned money on those less fortunate than himself.  Who buys an SUV or a speedboat knowing that there are starving people, hungry people, tortured people in the world who could use the money.  Who says "blessed are the peacemakers" but thinks it's OK to piss on Jane Fonda's grave.  Who says "The meek shall inherit the earth" and then gloats over how Amerikkka can and should nuke any who dare to stand in its way.  I think there's a lotta fake Christians in the world.  I think if you peeled away all the fakes, the whole fucking religion would be left with a hard-core membership that's about equal to the population of Dayton, Ohio.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 05:02:25 PM »
I think if you peeled away all the fakes, the whole fucking religion would be left with a hard-core membership that's about equal to the population of Dayton, Ohio.
============================

This seems about right.

Of course, you could summarize the core beliefs of Christianity as "The belief that a cosmic Jewish zombie can cause you to live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and drink his blood, and telepathically accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a woman formed from a rib was convinced by a talking snake to eat the fruit of a magical tree."

If you were consider the basic tenets from a rational perspective, of course.

You seem to be focusing on the part where the proper Christian follows the dictates of the Jewish zombie.
I don't think that this is the salient point of the Christian message for most people who call themselves Christians.

Some of whom might express the following thought: "If Jesus were Jewish, why does he have a Mexican name?"

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 10:23:09 PM »
LOL.  That's a pretty good summary.  Thanks, XO.

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 11:15:49 PM »
He just lost the election before he started, being pro choice and pro gay marriage, and proclaiming that 7 years before he runs for Gov of Alabama.  Alabama probably wouldn't even elect Bear Bryant if he espoused those ideals.

As to "fake Christians", there could be some merit to that.  A lot of the conservatives that I know personally like to talk about their faith, but not necessarily practice it.  Kind of wearing their faith on their shirtsleeve kind of thing.  I've never believed that you have to be conservative to have faith, I know a lot of moderates and liberals who are just as devout in their faith as conservatives.

By no means am I saying that all conservatives are fake Christians.  Just that some I know personally are.

He might have more accurately said, "A lot of Christians are fake conservatives", which would have been closer to the truth. To the best of my knowledge, religion is not a prerequisite to being a conservative. But then, I suppose conservatives have brought that perception on themselves.

Lay down with the dogs, get up with fleas...
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 11:26:39 PM »
Well, some of us wouldn't be so tacky as to attack someone like that. But then, scum exists, I suppose. I mean, I'm sure no one in here would call MT a good or bad Jew, just because he is or is not a liberal.

"Good" Christians come in all political persuations. Just thought you might want to know that. Must be nice living in a world of your own making...

Talk about being JUDGEMENTAL....
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 11:56:32 PM »
Are there fake christians?

Are there fake conservatives?

Are there fake christian conservatives?

And did Barkley get bit by a soundbyte?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 12:03:54 AM »
I think it is fairly certain that most people, including those who anyone would call fakes, do not consider themselves to be fakes.

Charles Barkley, I predict, will never be the governor of Alabama, nor the nominee of any major party for the governor of Alabama. Perhaps he should consider a more practical future career, such as a Wendy's or Popeye Chicken franchise or two.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 12:32:29 AM »
I wouldn't write him off. At a minimum he has excellent name recognition, a built in voter bloc and in 7 years the pendulum could swing his way.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 10:11:02 AM »
In Alabama? Pro-gay AND pro-death? Not gonna happen. Hopefully not anyway.

The typical resident of that state has yet to be contaminated by the wonders of liberalism.
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 09:49:40 PM »
<<The typical resident of that state has yet to be contaminated by the wonders of liberalism.>>

Are they still the second most ignorant state in the land, or has Mississippi edged up past them and left them at the bottom of the heap?

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 09:14:51 AM »
Well, some people can be uneducated by still know what is Right fron Wrong. Are not their Jews that are uneducated but Devout?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 01:26:33 PM by The_Professor »
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 11:25:21 AM »
<<The typical resident of that state has yet to be contaminated by the wonders of liberalism.>>

Are they still the second most ignorant state in the land, or has Mississippi edged up past them and left them at the bottom of the heap?

===================================
I never did understand why Mississippi politicians are against Puerto Rican statehood. If PR were a state, MS could still be 50th, but at last not last.

Alabama and Mississippi are pretty much alike, except that Alabama has several large cities (Birmingham, Montgomery and Mobile) and all the really large cities Mississippians go to are not in Mississippi (Memphis and New Orleans). Rural southern  small towns are not the places to find large quantities of bright Americans.

Oxford is a pretty nice place to live, though.