Author Topic: McCain's War Policy Called 'Surrender' to Bin Laden  (Read 6924 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: McCain's War Policy Called 'Surrender' to Bin Laden
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2008, 06:51:56 AM »
If the right wants civil unions legalized, why doesn't they co-sponsor a bill saying so?

There is a difference between advocating a solution and being OK with it.

Could you point to any civil union legislation present by the dems at the federal level? That would help with the point you are attempting to make.

It is also helpful to point out that marriage and civil union laws presently are handled at the state level.

fatman

Re: McCain's War Policy Called 'Surrender' to Bin Laden
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2008, 10:09:24 AM »
Visit a lawyer. All of that can be done within the current legal scene, although it's not as simple as a marriage or civil union. In other words, it can be done, but it costs more money...

Actually Ami, before the domestic partnership law was passed here in WA 2 years ago, that's exactly what I did.  With the law in place now, he is also covered by my health coverage (which is excellent btw, thank god for a union plan) and pension if I die early.  Those things couldn't happen before the partnership law.

While you're right that going to a lawyer can get a person some of these benefits, they are open to challenge as well.  That challenge also costs money to defend against.  I realize that marriage doesn't pre-empt the right of the family to challenge the advocate (see the Schiavo case), but I think that it is generally more rare.

Excellent.......just be prepared to be labeled a bigot for daring to advocate seperate lines. 

Been there, done that.