Author Topic: Bush surprised by $4 a gallon gas  (Read 4018 times)

fatman

Bush surprised by $4 a gallon gas
« on: March 01, 2008, 10:41:21 AM »
Seriously, wtf?

$4-a-gallon gas? Predictions surprise Bush
By Seattle Times news services

RON EDMONDS / AP

President Bush speaks Thursday during a news conference at the White House.
Related

WASHINGTON ? The bulletin reached President Bush toward the end of his news conference Thursday.

Peter Maer of CBS News Radio asked: "What's your advice to the average American who is hurting now, facing the prospect of $4-a-gallon gasoline, a lot of people facing ... "

"Wait, what did you just say?" the president interrupted. "You're predicting $4-a-gallon gasoline?"

Maer responded: "A number of analysts are predicting $4-a-gallon gasoline."

Bush's rejoinder: "Oh, yeah? That's interesting. I hadn't heard that."

The president, once known for his common-guy skills, sounded eerily like his father, who in 1992 seemed amazed to discover that supermarkets had bar-code scanners.

The $4-a-gallon forecasts were reported widely in newspapers and on TV in the past week. The White House press secretary took a question about $4 gas at her Wednesday media briefing. A poll last month found that nearly three-quarters of Americans expect $4-a-gallon gas.

The president, however, had difficulty grasping the possibility, even after Maer told him.

"You just said the price of gasoline may be up to $4 a gallon ? or some expert told you that," Bush repeated. "That creates a lot of uncertainty."

Bush's acknowledged unfamiliarity with the recent cost of gasoline produced some fumes at the pump.

At a Shell service station in San Mateo, Calif., the price of a gallon of regular had already reached $4.29, well above the California average of $3.42, as measured by AAA.

"Bush is out of touch with a lot of things we are facing today," said Marisa Cajbon, 33, who was filling her Toyota Sequoia SUV. "I have to buy gas. I need to work. I have two kids. I think it's unfortunate. I think it's a crime."

Bush also tried to put the best spin he could on months of bleak economic news. "I don't think we're headed to a recession, but no question we're in a slowdown," he said.

When NBC's David Gregory invited him to criticize Democratic presidential candidates for not knowing much about the expected new Russian president, Dmitry Medvedev, Bush replied: "I don't know much about Medvedev, either."

Agence France-Presse's Olivier Knox asked Bush why he was going to the Olympics in China despite the country's human-rights record. "I'm a sports fan," the president said.

Bush waded into presidential politics, criticizing the Democratic contenders for their positions on free trade and taking particular aim at Sen. Barack Obama for his comments about the wisdom of meeting the new leader of Cuba.

Bush did not attack by name either Obama or his rival for the party's nomination, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton. But there was no masking his disdain for the Democrats' positions on several campaign issues, including the war, the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and the political transition in Cuba.

While both Democratic candidates have called for renegotiating NAFTA, the president stood behind the pact.

"The idea of just unilaterally withdrawing from a trade treaty because of trying to score political points is not good policy," he said.

He reserved his harshest comments for Obama's recent statement that he would be willing to meet the new leader of Cuba, Raul Castro, "without preconditions."

Bush has refused to meet with foreign adversaries such as Kim Jong Il of North Korea and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran.

"What's lost by embracing a tyrant who puts his people in prison because of their political beliefs?" Bush said in reference to Castro. "What's lost is it will send the wrong message. It will send a discouraging message to those who wonder whether America will continue to work for the freedom of prisoners."

Bush went on: "I'm not suggesting there's never a time to talk, but I'm suggesting now is not the time ? not to talk with Raul Castro."

But "sitting down at the table, having your picture taken with a tyrant such as Raul Castro, for example, lends the status of the office and the status of our country to him," Bush said. "He gains a lot from it by saying, 'Look at me, I'm now recognized by the president of the United States.' "

Material from The Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, The New York Times and Chicago Tribune is included in this report.

Link:  http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politics/2004250068_bush29.html

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bush surprised by $4 a gallon gas
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 10:55:12 AM »
Oh brother...... ::)
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

fatman

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 10:57:20 AM »
Oh brother what?

If all that you're capable of is an eyeroll, maybe you'd be of more assistance if you didn't reply at all.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 11:55:24 AM »
Gas here is 3.05. Two weeks ago it was 2.79. It may go up  a bit as they switch to summer blend. I don't expect 4.00 gas for a while, if at all.

I'm surprised that station in Cali wasn't fined for gouging, being so much above the average and all.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 12:28:28 PM »
Elect a couple of oilmen, what do you get?

Now we could elect a military man.  wonder what that might bring us...
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

fatman

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 01:26:31 PM »
Gas in CA is notoriously expensive, especially in the Bay Area.  Here in WA, near my home in Skagit county I'm paying $3.41 (filled up this morning).  In Bellingham, where I work, the cost of gas is around $3.60-$3.70 a gallon, because of all the extra taxes that Whatcom county adds on.  If the oil companies were smart they'd post a breakdown at the pump of the actual gas cost, and the added taxes.  That might give some people pause.

I've never thought Bush was stupid, you don't get to be the President by being stupid, but how can he not have heard this?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 02:25:02 PM »
I've never thought Bush was stupid, you don't get to be the President by being stupid, but how can he not have heard this?

The prediction was on Drudge less than a week ago.

Perhaps he was busy or out of town. Seems he was in Africa lately.

Rich

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 03:15:18 PM »
>> Oh brother......  ::)<<

Agreed.

Right, Bush is out of touch blah blah blah.... Are there any serious journalists left out there? Or are they all paid flunkys of the DNC?

Gas is $3.05 here too. What happened to cheap gas in Georgia? We used to always make sure to get gas in Georgia whenever we passed through back in the 90's.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 03:25:16 PM »
It normally is cheaper than surrounding states. Especially in the Atlanta Area.

fatman

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 11:01:53 PM »
The prediction was on Drudge less than a week ago.

Perhaps he was busy or out of town. Seems he was in Africa lately.

The prediction has been out a lot longer than last week.

4/26/2007

Link:  http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/26/news/economy/gas_prices/index.htm

6/2007

Link:  http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2006/07/will_we_see_4ag.html

3/2007

Link:  http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Business/story?id=2997190

12/27/2007

Link:  http://laist.com/2007/12/27/4_a_gallon_for_2.php

1/3/2008

Link:  http://www.hybridcars.com/news2/4-gas-by-spring.html

Oh brother indeed.  I guess all these blogs and news sites are "paid flunkys (sic) of the DNC.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 11:26:07 PM »
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Gasoline prices, already above $3 a gallon in some states, could charge higher this summer and hit $4 a gallon in some locations, according to one industry expert.

From your first link. I don't recall gas hitting $4 a gallon. Do you?

fatman

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 11:39:12 PM »
I guess that's why the word "could" is there, it denotes a speculation, which may or may not come true.  It doesn't refute the point that it's been speculated for over two years now that gas could hit $4 a gallon, nor does it explain Bush's surprise that such speculation existed.

fatman

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 11:47:26 PM »
I caught my mistake.

From the article:  The $4-a-gallon forecasts were reported widely in newspapers and on TV in the past week. The White House press secretary took a question about $4 gas at her Wednesday media briefing. A poll last month found that nearly three-quarters of Americans expect $4-a-gallon gas.

BT has a point about Bush being out of the country.  I apologize for the mix-up.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 11:52:21 PM »
I'm more concerned with the price of tap water. I checked with our wholesaler recently and the raw cost to us will double in the next five years. Add waste, recycling and sewer and our utilities bills are going up big time. 10-15 a month makes a difference on the budget of a fixed income senior.

fatman

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 11:54:56 PM »
I'm more concerned with the price of tap water. I checked with our wholesaler recently and the raw cost to us will double in the next five years. Add waste, recycling and sewer and our utilities bills are going up big time. 10-15 a month makes a difference on the budget of a fixed income senior.

Very true BT.  Here, we don't have water worries so much as you guys, that drought you had last year was a doozie.  Drinkable water is going to outpace gasoline at some point.