Author Topic: California judge says no to homeschooling  (Read 122287 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: California judge says no to homeschooling
« Reply #225 on: March 21, 2008, 02:11:04 PM »
More excuses.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #226 on: March 21, 2008, 02:12:04 PM »
Oh, and by the way you are not in Iraq-fighting for our freedom, so you can't say squat in that dept either.
 ;)

Yep, you're right.  I won't criticize the war either.  So, deal?

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Cynthia

« Reply #227 on: March 21, 2008, 02:37:55 PM »
NCLB needs to be fine tuned. Period.

I rest on that point.

Maybe Obama will be the president to resolve such issues, if not Obama, then Hillary.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #228 on: March 21, 2008, 02:49:11 PM »
And meanwhile the children will be cheated as the status quo is protected.

And so it goes.

Cynthia

« Reply #229 on: March 21, 2008, 02:53:39 PM »
And meanwhile the children will be cheated as the status quo is protected.

And so it goes.

No, not right.

The children will be given more. Not cheated, BT.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #230 on: March 21, 2008, 03:16:44 PM »
Does anyone really think that this discussion will have any effect on education anywhere?

I tend to think it won't.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #231 on: March 21, 2008, 03:25:14 PM »
maybe alittle
as we all talk about this were learn more about it
this talk has confirm and disprove certain aspects on the subject for me
it`ll definately effect how I`ll vote
and since less and less people vote ,My vote has more weight than it really deserves.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #232 on: March 21, 2008, 04:08:58 PM »
No, not right.

The children will be given more. Not cheated, BT.

Yeah right. None of the expert articles with which you wholeheartedly agree offers any alternate solutions to the problems.

So yes the children suffer while turf is protected.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #233 on: March 21, 2008, 04:22:37 PM »
Just because there is a problem does not mean that there IS a solution.

Remember, it is okay to give tests that suggest that Asian kids outperform White kids, or even that Jewish kids outperform Catholics and Protestants- that would require fiddling with the data and pulling old the GoldXXX and the XXXBergs-, But we don;t want to see data that Black kids do worse than other kids.

Even though they do. Why seems to be unknown, but if the data shows this, then it won't be accepted.
And it will show this. So they fiddle with the data until it shows less of this, and then the solutions don't work, and we are back to Square One.

The most probable reason is that Black kids, regardless of social class, don't read books and have tiny vocabularies and therefore do not understand the tests. That is my hypothesis, based on years of teaching and seeing what people have to sell in yard sales. You want books- go to Jewish neighborhoods. You want action movies, then it's Black neighborhoods.

Gay gentrified neighborhoods are an exception: there is no racial difference, other than Black people have a lot more books about and by Black authors.

There are not enough Chinese or Indians selling in yard sales to come to any conclusions abou what they read or how much.

If we really wanted a solution, we'd check out to see what they do in Canada, France, Italy, and perhaps the Netherlands and Germany.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #234 on: March 21, 2008, 04:27:30 PM »
There are not enough Chinese or Indians selling in yard sales to come to any conclusions abou what they read or how much.

You need to go to the local Asian markets and look in the used items section.

If we really wanted a solution, we'd check out to see what they do in Canada, France, Italy, and perhaps the Netherlands and Germany.

You do realize that several of those spend less per pupil than the US does? What if checking these other countries brings people to the conclusion that we spend too much on our school system?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Cynthia

« Reply #235 on: March 21, 2008, 04:34:29 PM »
Does anyone really think that this discussion will have any effect on education anywhere?

Not when people like Sirs and BT turn a blind eye to what is happening on the front lines.

Children are being left behind more so than ever.

NO amount of beating a dead horse will help them to see this.

I have a feeling that their need to debate this issue rises from a need to flex some sort of ego muscle. hmmm...passionate about education?
I know they are not.

So, they will rebuke and fight back in order ....to have a last word...which I will let them both have. BUt they are wrong. Very very wrong.
I see right through them both. ...hard core debaters? I suppose so.

Ok boys, pack up your guns and head back to the bar. You're going to want the last word, I am sure.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #236 on: March 21, 2008, 04:40:47 PM »

You do realize that several of those spend less per pupil than the US does? What if checking these other countries brings people to the conclusion that we spend too much on our school system?

:o   Wash your mouth out with soap, Ami
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 04:53:09 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #237 on: March 21, 2008, 04:46:24 PM »
You need to go to the local Asian markets and look in the used items section.

There are no local Asian markets in Miami: there are a few mainlanders selling new schlock at several flea markets.
Chinese are maybe 50,000 Taiwanese, HongKongers and Mainranders in the area. Indians cannot have more than 10,000.

Quote from: Xavier_Onassis on Today at 03:22:37 PM

I suspect the teachers are better paid, but the administrators are paid less, there are more trade schools, and less is spent on school maintenance, because the buildings are better built in the first place.
I question that cutting everyone's salary would actually improve schools. It's what teachers DO and KNOW that is important.

Most Swedish and Dutch teachers know English well, for example.
Japanese English teachers are largely unable to communicate with any English-speaking person. They do teach how to write English, but as for speaking it, they are pretty much hopeless. Only rarely have they attended a cram school.

Teachers get a lot more respect in Europe.

I insist that the entertainment industry ad the way we tend to worship even stupid celebrities is a major detriment to education in the USA.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #238 on: March 21, 2008, 04:49:57 PM »

=============================
I'd wager that the PRC's suppression of Tibetans will be a far cheaper and far less time-consuming activity than our current supression of insurrectionists in Iraq or even Afghanistan.

But does that mean that if we just cut funds by half, we'd be more successful?

If this is a statistic, it is a meaningless one.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #239 on: March 21, 2008, 06:08:04 PM »

Not when people like Sirs and BT turn a blind eye to what is happening on the front lines.

Children are being left behind more so than ever.

NO amount of beating a dead horse will help them to see this.

I have a feeling that their need to debate this issue rises from a need to flex some sort of ego muscle. hmmm...passionate about education?
I know they are not.

So, they will rebuke and fight back in order ....to have a last word...which I will let them both have. BUt they are wrong. Very very wrong.
I see right through them both. ...hard core debaters? I suppose so.

Ok boys, pack up your guns and head back to the bar. You're going to want the last word, I am sure.

Once again, this isn't about you.

It is about the kids and the future of this country that they will inherit.

Try to focus.