Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: BT -
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2008, 08:02:26 AM »
I think it was here that someone said people in the old west had fewer fights  because you never insulted a man you weren't willing to fight and you never fought a man you weren't willing to kill or be killed by.

"An armed society is a polite society."
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Cynthia

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2008, 02:20:51 PM »
We post. Period.
No rules..humans should have no rules at the heart of the essence that is humaniy.

Unfortunately, that is the sort of idea which ends in violence, hatred and other evils.  As an example, I think abortion is killing a child.  Since killing a child is a terrible evil, I can't see any reason to compromise on the issue.  In fact, I'm pretty sure I would be willing to give myy life to save a child from death.  Better yet, why not prevent that death by taking the life of the person who would cause it?  That's why people bomb abortion clinics.

I'm not saying anyone here is going out to strap on a backpack, but my point is that people have manners for a reason.  I think it was here that someone said people in the old west had fewer fights  because you never insulted a man you weren't willing to fight and you never fought a man you weren't willing to kill or be killed by.  Ground rules that are held in common give a frame of reference that helps us avoid the extremes.  When things get hairy, a simple reminder like "Smile when you say that, son" gives a chance to fall back on the guidelines before it gets out of hand.  In a situation like political discussion, personal convictions can be very emotionally high.  It is necessary to develop a thick skin, true.  But it is also important to remember that however right our viewpoint may be, we are not justified in treating others like garbage.  I don't think that stifles debate; I think it improves it.

No Rules?? No. . . I meant to say fewer restrictions!! Retraction retraction retraction....
Of course civility and manners must be at the essence of any discussion, lest we don't give a damn at all for anyone, or anything!
 I absolutely agree with you there, Pooch. It does improve debate.

I do think however that a slip into madness is going to be par for the course. IN the old west there were moments of  high anxiety which led to a "quick and the dead shot" from the hip mentality.....all due to an overly heated need to get revenge or get one's way ----or get another one OUT OF THE WAY for good.

Yes,there are bound to be times when "stuff happens"...in such a case, I do believe that if a place like this has a zero tolerance set up, it's not realistic.  It is going to get better if people agree to disagree..but 100% of the time?? Not reality.

I meant to say that we are human beings, with human frailties. There are times when we are going to fall off the beam ....and such statements as "An armed society is a polite society" won't be there to save the point.(which is a good quote, indeed...don't get me wrong, Ami)

But we must be able to breathe when we are confronted by scathing remarks...I experienced such a thing recently in my work place..and the first thing I wanted to do was to scream bloody murder NOT FAIR how dare you..etc, but, I did take steps back and let things roll off....and in the end polite and well mannered discussions came forth with solutions to boot.

So, there are times when we are going to do the wrong thing.....say the stupid thing....cry the wasted tears, bash the already beat up bear,.....

This board has grown tenfold times tenfold in the past few years....because people have been willing to step back, kick ass, step back and then forth with grace.... then settle into the point with a new approach .  We end up shaping up and returning  to the focus at hand....discussion/debate with sprinkles of pissiness if necessary.

Cynthia
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 02:30:23 PM by Cynthia »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2008, 04:59:08 AM »
I could listen to what you have to say and develop a well thought out and well reasoned response that might cause you to pause and rethink your original thesis.

Or, I could just say, "You're wrong, fuckstick."

http://fasterthantheworld.com/blog/2007/05/arguing_for_the_sake_of_arguin.html

seemed relevant

Knutey

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2008, 04:46:28 PM »
This is really funny since you are one of the most extreme of all.

ROFLMAO

I told you it was funny, honey.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2008, 04:54:14 PM »

Doesn't your boyfriend get mad when you call other guys "honey"?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 03:40:08 AM »
I will miss this forum when it is gone , it has helped to write a chapter of my life. I have learned several things about interhuman communication from the people here who I presume are mostly human.

This would be a great place for a Turing test, a well composed program might be able to imitate one of us , perhaps one of us with a habit of brevity especially, ....hmmm...

Humanity has worse problems than whether or not the 3DHS forum is successfull or not , but many of our problems are descended from the same causes that make 3DHS struggle , it is hard to be tolerant of ignorance, it is hard to learn unpleasant truth , it is difficult to have epiphany, it is impossible to cause understanding where it isn't wanted. Someday we may loose a whole region of people to ire that is no more well founded than are our flame wars , so we are learning serious things in a low stakes environment.

I am pleased to have been accepted in this league , some posters I admire have been generous with me , and some otherwise have paid me the complement of considering my remarks worthy cause of great umbrage and high dudgeon
as if my opinion really mattered.

Each of us is free to define his own goals for the site , and my goals have been met. I have learned to type better , I have developed a style of writing , I have learned a lot of things about people that I wouldn't have otherwise. I didn't guess at the beginning that my logging into the PIP , the Spin Cycle , and the 3DHS would become a ten year journey through my own mind and the thoughts of so many others.

I shall be sanguine at the end of the project , tho I feel as if it could be continued , it can also die nobly haveing served so well. How did I ever presume it would be permanant? Let me thank you BT for being such a grand host for such a long party.

So do we want a revival or a funeral?   

Knutey

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2008, 06:58:02 AM »
>>So do we want a revival or a funeral?  <<
It is already dead . Plane. BT turned it into a RW ingrown toenail.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2008, 12:43:17 PM »
Is there some way of advertising the existence of this Forum so we may grow? I understand this maybeone of the major concerns here.

I have enjoyed my time here. As with other remarks here, it sometimes frustrates me, angers me, saddens me and enlightens me.

I contribute as life commitments allow, sometimes more, sometimes less. I postulate this is similar to most of you as well. Perhaps it is more of an ebb and flow issue and not as serious as is being presented?

It is true there are folks who have come and gone. A good friend of mine, Mr Perspective, was one. He just got too frustrated. Hey, it happens. I, too, have gotten so frustrated and, yes, pissed at folks I could spit. Recently, however, I have reached the conclusion that all you can do is present your view or relevant article and let the process flow. It has helped my blood pressure. :-)

Why not just let this Forum contine on. Perhaps we can all elevate our efforts at recruiting and so add more members and this more views, etc?

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2008, 01:04:46 PM »
I think that this is a good topic for discussion.

I've certainly had my moments in contributing to the downward trend. Hopefully I've added to the good discussions on occasion, as well.

I've taken a breather here and there (in fact very recently).

I think we need to do better with tolerance. All of us, left, right, middle, and anything in between or off the spectrum.

Perhaps we need to list what makes a forum succesful. I'm not sure that growth is a sign of success. It is a sign of quantitative performance, but not quality performance. I'd take quality over quantity any day.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Knutey

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2008, 01:34:46 AM »

Doesn't your boyfriend get mad when you call other guys "honey"?
If you were a man, maybe.
Keep on feeding straight lines, moron.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2008, 07:37:14 AM »
If you were a man, maybe.

Come here and give a smooch, you big teddy bear, you.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2008, 12:44:05 PM »
Bt,

What if you had the main 3DHS forum here, and two separate subforums (subfora?) attached to 3DHS as well. One for right leaning folks and one for left leaning folks. People who joined one could not view the other. In fact, we might need to set up an approval system so no obvious person from the right joins the left and vice versa.

Within these subforums the individual may vent their frustrations. So Professor can post that "JS is a real jack ass" without worry. Also, extremely partisan articles could be posted, even debated, but without the intent of flaming.

It is just a thought and obviously no one would be obligated to join either one.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2008, 01:41:24 PM »
One for right leaning folks and one for left leaning folks.

What about for those like me - right leaning for fiscal issues and left leaning for social / rights issues?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2008, 01:45:47 PM »
Or those like me that are right leaning for social isses, and far right leaning for fiscal issues?  Subunits/rooms depending on how far one leans          ;)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2008, 02:20:11 PM »
One for right leaning folks and one for left leaning folks.

What about for those like me - right leaning for fiscal issues and left leaning for social / rights issues?

Like I said, you don't have to join either. But I'd go with the one you'd feel more comfortable in considering your compatriots.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster